The Student Room Group

Studying Computer Science: Additional requirements for uni

I was hoping to study Computer Science at uni in 2017.
I've nearly finished my AS levels and was just wondering what I could do this summer and further, to increase my UCAS application
My predicted AS grades: AAAB
I'm at pre-intermediate level in Python but haven't learnt any other programming languages.
I've bought a Raspberry-Pi to try and have a go at particular projects I've been thinking about. What other language shall I start learning? I was thinking Java or objective -C?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Most universities usually start with Java
Do you study computing? If so your second year project will have lots of programming it it which you can talk about in your personal statement. I mentioned it in my personal statement when applying for computer science. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by computationchive
Do you study computing? If so your second year project will have lots of programming it it which you can talk about in your personal statement. I mentioned it in my personal statement when applying for computer science. :smile:

Yeah I am! AQA computer science. Since you've already done it, what did you have to do for your 2nd year project? Do AQA give out guidelines on what to create or do you choose? :smile:
So I know the specification for your course has changed slightly from mine but it should be similar. Basically you have to do a project that 'solves a problem'. It's very broad and you can do whatever you wish. In order to get good marks, however, your project needs to be complex - this can be done by implementing some of the following (from mark scheme):

- Non-trivial algorithms, standard or user-defined, e.g. a graph traversal algorithm, recursive
algorithms
- Use of sophisticated features of programming language / complexity of programming
language, e.g. sophisticated data structures, runtime created objects, user-defined OOP
classes
- Time-based simulation
- Development of program solutions for portable devices / games consoles
- Complexity of non-computing field of the problem, e.g. 3-D vector manipulation
- Communication Protocols, e.g. TCP connections
- Image Processing / pattern recognition, e.g. steganography, use of regular expressions
(Also they love relational databases)

I did an IOS app for teachers using a relational database - got full marks in the end :smile:
Reply 6
So I know the specification for your course has changed slightly from mine but it should be similar. Basically you have to do a project that 'solves a problem'. It's very broad and you can do whatever you wish. In order to get good marks, however, your project needs to be complex - this can be done by implementing some of the following (from mark scheme):

- Non-trivial algorithms, standard or user-defined, e.g. a graph traversal algorithm, recursive
algorithms
- Use of sophisticated features of programming language / complexity of programming
language, e.g. sophisticated data structures, runtime created objects, user-defined OOP
classes
- Time-based simulation
- Development of program solutions for portable devices / games consoles
- Complexity of non-computing field of the problem, e.g. 3-D vector manipulation
- Communication Protocols, e.g. TCP connections
- Image Processing / pattern recognition, e.g. steganography, use of regular expressions
(Also they love relational databases)

I did an IOS app for teachers using a relational database - got full marks in the end :smile:

Wow! That's so helpful!!! Thank you!
Well done on getting full marks!
Did you have to publish your app on the app store?
Original post by OturuDansay
Wow! That's so helpful!!! Thank you!
Well done on getting full marks!
Did you have to publish your app on the app store?

Cheers! :smile: No, you don't have to publish your app. You just have to prove to the person marking it (your teacher) that it works and does the required functions, by running it on the simulator. You thinking about doing a mobile app?
Reply 8
Cheers! :smile: No, you don't have to publish your app. You just have to prove to the person marking it (your teacher) that it works and does the required functions, by running it on the simulator. You thinking about doing a mobile app?

Ahhhh, and not sure yet unless I get started with obj-c this summer. We've been taught Python so does that mean we can only use Python for the project next year?
Ahhhh, and not sure yet unless I get started with obj-c this summer. We've been taught Python so does that mean we can only use Python for the project next year?

Absolutely not. We were taught VB.NET in first year and even though most people did use it in their second year projects, the project can be done it any language.

In terms of IOS app, I did mine in Swift - it's quite friendly and similar to python.
Absolutely not. We were taught VB.NET in first year and even though most people did use it in their second year projects, the project can be done it any language.

In terms of IOS app, I did mine in Swift - it's quite friendly and similar to python.

Oh yeah I heard about Swift at a lecture last year, is Swift easier to use then obj-c?
Also what else did you put on your UCAS application, like did you say what languages you know and what projects you've made?
Oh yeah I heard about Swift at a lecture last year, is Swift easier to use then obj-c?
Also what else did you put on your UCAS application, like did you say what languages you know and what projects you've made?

I would say Swift is easier. Here is Apple's page on it: https://developer.apple.com/swift/

Yes, In my personal statement I just said that I enjoyed programming and I that I was working on an IOS for my computing project. I then explained very briefly what it did. If you are going to make an App make sure you emphasis that you learnt it independently in the summer. :smile:
Reply 12
Op just to let you know, you need an OSX machine to do iOS development. Also, mobile development in general is very heavy, it requires a LOT of pre-requisite knowledge. For example android development using Java requires you're up to speed with coding. E.g. A lot of android development push you into doing threading, inheritance, overriding and the lot. So yeah unless you're experienced with programming don't attempt a mobile app. Stick to something simpler, just make sure what you do meets the requirements of your exam board. I too did the same AQA A2 Computing project and I can help you if you got any questions.
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Biatch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending