The Student Room Group

Oxford accommodation??

I am planning to go Oxford but I live like 1-2 hours from the university and im deciding on whether to stay in the halls or not I mean I would hate travelling 1-2 hours but I dont know how the halls are like plus I dont want to live in a smaller house even though I want to be more independent and get out of the house.
Original post by Bottler
I am planning to go Oxford but I live like 1-2 hours from the university and im deciding on whether to stay in the halls or not I mean I would hate travelling 1-2 hours but I dont know how the halls are like plus I dont want to live in a smaller house even though I want to be more independent and get out of the house.

The university requires you to live within 6 miles of Carfax (city centre) for undergrad :yes:

The halls are variable, even within a single college! Generally speaking though, all colleges have a mixture of not-so-great to really great accommodation. The better the room, the more you pay :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The university requires you to live within 6 miles of Carfax (city centre) for undergrad :yes:

The halls are variable, even within a single college! Generally speaking though, all colleges have a mixture of not-so-great to really great accommodation. The better the room, the more you pay :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What should I do then I would probably end up getting a basic room and I dont think the social benefit would be greater if I stayed there, but I do want to be independant and leave the house to be honest and I would hate travelling if the uni finished at like 6pm
Original post by Bottler
What should I do then I would probably end up getting a basic room and I dont think the social benefit would be greater if I stayed there, but I do want to be independant and leave the house to be honest and I would hate travelling if the uni finished at like 6pm

If you want to study at Oxford, then my advice would be don't let the requirement to live in college/within 6 miles deter you. You can't put a price on the experience of living outside the parental home, imho. Plus there are bursaries to support students from lower-income families :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Bottler

1-2 hours is a LONG commute, especially if you're on a course which would require you to do that most days. Do also bear in mind that Oxford traffic is dreadful, there is minimal parking in the city centre and what there is is very expensive. You would miss out on lots of social activities if you weren't around at evenings or weekends - you wouldn't be able to do sports or participate fully in many societies.

Tbh, most people's halls are probably not as nice as their parents' houses, but moving out and learning to manage by yourself is part of what uni is all about - as TLG says, you can't put a price on that!
If you're seriously thinking of Oxford then I suggest you do a little research and find out about the university, as you don't seem to know anything about it. It doesn't have halls, it has colleges. Each college has its own accommodation which may be rooms (old or modern) on the main college site, or residences of various kinds (new or old - my college had several houses it owned around the city for second years) off site. University doesn't 'finish' at a set time. It's not school. You will have lectures and tutorials and classes at different times of the day. How many will depend on your subject and your year. My son's tutorials were always at the weekend as his tutor worked in Scotland during the week.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Oxford and not live there. You would miss all the best bits, you'd have nowhere of your own to go when you didn't have anything timetabled and you would find it much harder to make friends. Living in the middle of Oxford is a treat that most people don't get to experience.
Original post by Bottler

Please don't do that to yourself. How many small houses have you even lived in?

Sounds like a push into adulthood is sorely needed.

Original post by Bingobanjo
I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Oxford and not live there.

Seconded. You'd get all of the work and exam pressure and none of the awesome parts :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending