The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary - Exeter or Manchester?

Hi there,

I've been offered a place to do a PGCE in secondary science (chemistry) at University of Manchester and University of Exeter. I'm wondering if anyone can help me decide which one to choose.

The main problem I'm having with deciding is the big difference in location. I feel that Manchester will be a much more exciting place to live with a lot more to do. If I go with Exeter I could be placed anywhere in Devon or Cornwall, so I could end up somewhere beautiful and scenic, but I'm worried about it being too rural. I've researched school quality and found that the South West has a slightly better average school quality. As far as university course and structure, there doesn't seem to be much difference, maybe someone can enlighten me on that? And I have friends and family in the north and south, so that isn't much of a factor for me.

Any help, especially from those who have been to either university, would be great.
Crikey - talk about chalk or cheese. Personally I would choose the place you feel will be logistically the simplest. That is certainly what I did when choosing the place for my training. I have chosen a School Direct place 4 miles down the road as opposed to 10 miles or 14 miles. It just makes sense.
Public transport is possibly more accessible in Manchester. I've lived in Manchester and found it to be excellent. Diverse and interesting.
Original post by strangebrew
Hi there,

I've been offered a place to do a PGCE in secondary science (chemistry) at University of Manchester and University of Exeter. I'm wondering if anyone can help me decide which one to choose.

The main problem I'm having with deciding is the big difference in location. I feel that Manchester will be a much more exciting place to live with a lot more to do. If I go with Exeter I could be placed anywhere in Devon or Cornwall, so I could end up somewhere beautiful and scenic, but I'm worried about it being too rural. I've researched school quality and found that the South West has a slightly better average school quality. As far as university course and structure, there doesn't seem to be much difference, maybe someone can enlighten me on that? And I have friends and family in the north and south, so that isn't much of a factor for me.

Any help, especially from those who have been to either university, would be great.

I'd say Manchester, because the number of placement schools easily accessible by public transport is much greater. You have the whole conurbation of Greater Manchester to go for, which will mean you get a much wider range of experience.
Reply 4
Public transport is definitely a factor, I really really do not want to have to blow all my money running a car.

Original post by Snow Child
Yes but you won't have time to do any of it.

Good point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending