The Student Room Group

How should I revise over the summer?

I know a lot of people will say I shouldn't, but I need eleven A*s and I don't intend to push off all my revision till May, especially since I'm a huge procrastinator and I might as well do something with these nine weeks off.

Should I make a rigid timetable? Has anyone else done that and does it make them more or less likely to stick to their revision goals?

Is going through the textbook or writing notes out a better option at this stage? Flashcards: yes/no?

I have french oral mocks in November; do I start preparing for those now?

Help!
Cheers x
Original post by galaxyruler
I know a lot of people will say I shouldn't, but I need eleven A*s and I don't intend to push off all my revision till May, especially since I'm a huge procrastinator and I might as well do something with these nine weeks off.

Should I make a rigid timetable? Has anyone else done that and does it make them more or less likely to stick to their revision goals?

Is going through the textbook or writing notes out a better option at this stage? Flashcards: yes/no?

Help!
Cheers x

Hey I'm in the same postion, I want to get 11A*S as well, so I want I revise over the summer. I recommend making a timetable, which has the different subjects your want to revise for how long and on which days
(edited 7 years ago)

Help!
Cheers x

Make all of your revision notes right now because when it comes to school days you will have zilch time to do so because of course work etc!!!
Also, be one step ahead of everyone so in class when people need help you can help them out that way revising through out your time at school as well!
Ummmm, tell your teachers what papers/ resources you have done so when they make you do a mock you don't do a paper you have already done.
Reply 3
Original post by theBranicAc
Hey I'm in the same postion, I want to get 11A*S as well, so I want I revise over the summer. I recommend making a timetable, which has the different subjects your want to revise for how long and on which days

Thanks, I'll do that.

Original post by CorpusLuteum
Make all of your revision notes right now because when it comes to school days you will have zilch time to do so because of course work etc!!!
Also, be one step ahead of everyone so in class when people need help you can help them out that way revising through out your time at school as well!
Ummmm, tell your teachers what papers/ resources you have done so when they make you do a mock you don't do a paper you have already done.

Okay, thank you!! So not looking forward to this year :s-smilie:
lol you don't need to revise in the summer for 11 A*s and you don't need 11 A*s for anything in life.... It's summer- enjoy yourself!

Help!
Cheers x

I know many people who got 11-12 A*s who didn't begin revision until a few weeks before exams. Besides you don't actually NEED 11 A*s. Enjoy your summer.
Reply 6
You could start revision at the end of February/ start of March and get 11 A*s, if you are smart.

But in reality, no one cares about GCSE after A Levels.....and no one cares about A Levels either after your degree.
I don't even mention my A Levels on my CV now, the first thing is the undergrad degree.
Reply 7
Revising in Summer? Do you not have a life? Wait until at least Easter before even thinking about revision
Just go through the textbook so you are familiar with the content. There's no point in revising stuff you haven't been taught yet, plus its unnecessary as you have plenty of time left. But if you really want to then you can make some light notes on stuff you understand, whilst printing off the spec will be beneficial s you can learn what you need, not what you get taught. But relax and enjoy yourself otherwise you may burn out at may when that's the time you need to be at your best.
Reply 9
Original post by fg45344
You could start revision at the end of February/ start of March and get 11 A*s, if you are smart.

But in reality, no one cares about GCSE after A Levels.....and no one cares about A Levels either after your degree.
I don't even mention my A Levels on my CV now, the first thing is the undergrad degree.

I'm aware of that... I just would rather be prepared.

Original post by FJ13
Revising in Summer? Do you not have a life? Wait until at least Easter before even thinking about revision

Trust me I have a life. I'd just like to put in the half hour a day or whatever that means I'm more ready for exams come study leave.

Haha yeah I definitely will keep it minimal. At my school most people do some revision over the summer and we basically start study leave straight after mocks in January so...
Original post by HopelessMedic
Just go through the textbook so you are familiar with the content. There's no point in revising stuff you haven't been taught yet, plus its unnecessary as you have plenty of time left. But if you really want to then you can make some light notes on stuff you understand, whilst printing off the spec will be beneficial s you can learn what you need, not what you get taught. But relax and enjoy yourself otherwise you may burn out at may when that's the time you need to be at your best.

Thank you!! I realised I forgot to look at the spec for any of my subjects so I'll make a note to do that.
Reply 11

Help!
Cheers x

I honestly wouldn't recommend starting in the summer as you'll probably burn out and not want to revise when it actually matters most. But if you really really want to, I would say start making your notes as it'll save you some time later on. Don't start trying to remember stuff now as it's highly unlikely you'll remember it in 11 months.

Good luck!
Just enjoy your summer. There is no need to start revising now as you'll probably forget most of it. You should revise continuously throughout the year so you don't forget what you've been taught in class.

Quick Reply

Latest