The Student Room Group

Do you have to wear graduation robes at graduation?

Just curious, not that I'm graduating anytime soon; I haven't even started University yet, but I just think they look silly.
Reply 1
yh u do...
Original post by shawtyb
yh u do...

If that's true I won't bother turning up. :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by similarBlank
If that's true I won't bother turning up. :tongue:

Academic dress is required :yep:

You don't have to go though :no:
Original post by Davalla
Academic dress is required :yep:

You don't have to go though :no:

I'm not in to all that anyway, I didn't go to my high school or sixth form proms either. :smile:

I just think a nice suit or something would look better than those robes and hat, y'know. :tongue:
Its part of the ceremonial.

You'll actually enjoy it when you get to that point.
Just curious, not that I'm graduating anytime soon; I haven't even started University yet, but I just think they look silly.

No - it's not compulsory at every uni.

Quote from one website:

"Graduation is a ceremonial event and we encourage all of our graduates to wear full academic dress a gown, hood and mortar board. You don’t have to, but most graduates do and it is one of the things that makes graduation such a special day."
I'm not in to all that anyway, I didn't go to my high school or sixth form proms either. :smile:

I just think a nice suit or something would look better than those robes and hat, y'know. :tongue:

Well people do wear suits underneath the robes...
Original post by Novascope
Well people do wear suits underneath the robes...

So, you mean they're boiling hot as well as looking unnescesarily silly? :tongue:

Spoiler

So, you mean they're boiling hot as well as looking unnescesarily silly? :tongue:

Spoiler

Boiling hot? It's England mate lool. You won't be hot, dw :P
It's a tradition wait until you've seen people doing it for 3 years it's a great thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will look even more stupid if you are the only one not wearing one on that group picture
Yeah you do. You can usually hire one which is cheaper than buying one (but can still be expensive - it cost me £50). It's part of the experience. It might feel a little silly, but it's also fun and makes for a special day.

If you are not wearing academic dress, you will most likely be refused entry to the ceremony.
Original post by TommyT_33
I found a website where you can buy for much less

www.churchillgowns.com

That site doesn't exist - it's a godaddy page :s-smilie:
What do you mean? The site looks totally fine to me!
Original post by alexlee2200
What do you mean? The site looks totally fine to me!

And you signed up to tsr just to post about how genuine a deleted post advertising a dodgy website is.

#seemslegit
well seeing as everyone does you'd thinks so wouldn't you and ye you do my uni said (and most unis will say things like this) "you must wear academic dress (this means robes) for the ceremony" asside from that you can wear what you want for most people that means a suit or traditional dress although i know one girl who dressed as superman when she graduated which looked very weird under her robes.
Reply 17
You'll definitely have to wear them. They look ridiculous but people still wear them because they want to take part in their graduation ceremony with their mates.
Maybe graduation gown looks silly, but still several ways to change what it like. Tassel colors, gown colors, you could even decorate the cap. I purchased from GraduationMall, and it looks nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending