The Student Room Group

potential A level options?!

need advice/opinions/information on A level Biology, A-level chemistry, Alevel english language, sociology and psychology????? also if studying both biology and chemistry would be too much? Chosing my A level options in 23 days!!!
Original post by caox
need advice/opinions/information on A level Biology, A-level chemistry, Alevel english language, sociology and psychology????? also if studying both biology and chemistry would be too much? Chosing my A level options in 23 days!!!

Dont do any more than 4 Alevels unless you want to spread yourself to thin. Its much better to get AAAA in 4 than AABBB, taking more subjects devotes more time to each meaning you often dont have the time to go into enough detail for each = spread yourself to thinly.

Any idea on careers? This could be a big influence as most science degrees require 2 lab sciences.

Bio and chem are not hard at all together if your willing to put the time in. They complement eachother very nicely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
Dont do any more than 4 Alevels unless you want to spread yourself to thin. Its much better to get AAAA in 4 than AABBB, taking more subjects devotes more time to each meaning you often dont have the time to go into enough detail for each = spread yourself to thinly.

Any idea on careers? This could be a big influence as most science degrees require 2 lab sciences.

Bio and chem are not hard at all together if your willing to put the time in. They complement eachother very nicely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on my GCSE results, the max amount of a level subjects is 4. so the opitions mentioned are the ones im going to chose from.

my potential careers options are very up in the air to be honest, im thinking either a Combat Medical Technician (front line medic) or a Barrister. Both on very different ends of the spectrum
Original post by caox
Depending on my GCSE results, the max amount of a level subjects is 4. so the opitions mentioned are the ones im going to chose from.

my potential careers options are very up in the air to be honest, im thinking either a Combat Medical Technician (front line medic) or a Barrister. Both on very different ends of the spectrum

Nice career choices, anything medical stick with bio and chem. If you want to do a science degree like i said you usually need 2 lab sciences so again keep bio and chem.

For law you can do pretty much any subject combo so it may be best to keep your options open and chose subjects you enjoy which feed onto either STEM subjects or law if thats what your interested in.

From here look at some relevant degree courses to check their requirements and chose the subjects which interest you and fit these requirements. Most people will tell you take the two sciences as its the best way to keep your options wide open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I took biology, chemistry and psychology this year and they all linked in together at little points through the course! I also started with sociology (I dropped it in October) and the combination of the 4 worked well :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Natalierm2707
Nice career choices, anything medical stick with bio and chem. If you want to do a science degree like i said you usually need 2 lab sciences so again keep bio and chem.

For law you can do pretty much any subject combo so it may be best to keep your options open and chose subjects you enjoy which feed onto either STEM subjects or law if thats what your interested in.

From here look at some relevant degree courses to check their requirements and chose the subjects which interest you and fit these requirements. Most people will tell you take the two sciences as its the best way to keep your options wide open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you, much apreciated!!
Reply 6
Original post by caox

Definitely do both chemistry and biology if you want to be medic. As for barrister, some good essay subjects would do. I'd suggest doing English literature of Language, though.

Quick Reply

Latest