The Student Room Group

How do Oxbridge view deferred entry?

I plan on applying to Oxbridge for deferred entry and doing a Gap Year scheme at Pinsent Masons(corporate law firm), however I've read that students applying for deferred entry disadvantage themselves as the unis are reluctant to give you an offer without seeing next year's cohort. I was wondering how far this is true?
Reply 1
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I plan on applying to Oxbridge for deferred entry and doing a Gap Year scheme at Pinsent Masons(corporate law firm), however I've read that students applying for deferred entry disadvantage themselves as the unis are reluctant to give you an offer without seeing next year's cohort. I was wondering how far this is true?

Last year a student at my SF got 3 or 4 A*'s (weren't predicted that)
Re-applied to Cambridge for the next year and got in.
I don't think it would be a problem if you get 3 / 4 A*'s and re-apply to Oxbridge in line with those results.

Another student was predicted A* / A / A
Didn't apply to Oxbridge that year.
Missed his offer of A* A A and ended up with A A A.
Applied to Oxford and got in for the next years entry... (don't know course)
I think it very much depends on the degree you're applying for. I know that Cambridge encourage language and engineering students to take a gap year, whereas they're not too keen on maths students taking a year out.

Oxford's Faculty of Law says:

Can I apply for deferred entry?

Certainly: applications for deferred entry are welcomed. Applicants who are offered places for deferred entry will generally rank among the strongest of those to whom offers are made. This is because we need to be sure that they would also have been offered a place had they applied the following year, against what might turn out to be stronger competition. For the purposes of deciding whether to invite deferred-entry applicants for interview and whether to offer them a place, the colleges and the Law Faculty will rank them against all the other current law applicants, not only against the other deferred-entry candidates.
Reply 3

It's not a problem at all (except sometimes for Maths, but given your work experience I imagine you are considering Law...)
Original post by jneill
It's not a problem at all (except sometimes for Maths, but given your work experience I imagine you are considering Law...)

But I'd have to be a very strong applicant(stronger than other applicants) to be given an offer..

Yes law
Reply 5
But I'd have to be a very strong applicant(stronger than other applicants) to be given an offer..

Yes law

No you don't. Applying for a deferred entry will not disadvantage you in any way versus other applicants.

Edit; it seems you do at Oxford, but Cambridge is neutral on deferred applicants.

Cambridge:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq
"Can I take a gap year and defer my entry?
About one in ten students coming to Cambridge takes a gap year before starting their studies. This year out is a very useful time in which to improve skills, earn money, travel and generally gain maturity and self-reliance."
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending