The Student Room Group

London is expensive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
It is generally very expensive. I bought the kids a basic ice-cream (without a flake) for £2.50 each last week. I would expect to pay £1.50 with a flake. But times change. I used to be appalled that beer was over £3 a pint when elsewhere is was less than £2. I suppose that since the advent of chains, prices are reasonable - ish and the huge investment to the transport system is paying dividends. £6.50 a day for unlimited travel around central London is much cheaper than it used to be.

But yes - housing is the biggy. I believe it is around £600 to rent a room these days. I rented a room in Cardiff a couple of years ago for £200 and that included bills and internet!

Depends what area.
On my road houses for rent are more than 1500pm. If it's 2 bed or 3-4.

And all the houses on our road are for about 260,000-350,000

So I guess it's average.
But I don't mind London . My mom loves it, but my dad's changing his mind to a quiet area. Still deciding But living in London my whole live maybe that's why we don't find it expensive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Habina786xx
But living in London my whole live maybe that's why we don't find it expensive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you ever explore past the M25 you will see how things are a bit different but it is all relative. If you go to China, you wonder why things are so expensive here when you can eat in a cafe / restaurant handsomely for 80p.
Keep in mind that wages in London are higher to compensate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Double Agent
It's more expensive but it is arguably the greatest city on earth so it's understandable.

Maybe if you've only lived in London and, I don't know, Wolverhampton.
If you earn big bucks then you are fine in London. For average joe it is a big rip off . London is fantastic but you need proper dough to live and enjoy it.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending