The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I guess you was the luckiest guy in the f-word world after that. Am I right?*

Yeah pretty lucky I guess, although it was her first time so she wasn't very good at it, so I had to tell her what to do.
Original post by Arima
always supposed to have a blazer on. raining, and the blazer looks bulgy underneath your stylish coat or jumper? tough. keep it on. its a heatwave, and youre literally dying at school? too bad. keep it on.

we also had ties too for a few years and they were just standard and stripy with colours based on your house. but then our rival school next door who everyone hates and doesnt want to be associated it changed their uniform so it was v similar to ours, so we changed our tie to a ugly bright blue with our tiny green/red logo that was supposed to be visible under the tie knot as a "measurement to the appropriate length of the tie" and then two - just two - dinky little neon green stripes at the very bottom. it was hideous and we were forced to wear it and i think it should've been a national crime to wear something that cringey

You must go to the same school as me, we had those exact ones and they had the schools motto on the bottom! Was is in Hertfordshire?
(edited 7 years ago)
just a lot of sexist rules against the boys - i.e. if it started to rain during PE, the girls would be allowed to go back inside whereas the guys were made to keep out. if a girl had piercings or coloured hair, they'd be allowed to have that, but if it was a guy, then they wouldn't be. even the girls acknowledged the blatant sexism.
As well as all the regular stupid ones others have mentioned, we were sent home from the gate if our socks were anything but black. Deputy head once had a word with me about facial hair, what kind of **** is that.
We're only allowed one thing on our wrists at a time, e.g a watch or a wrist band. Bad news for girls who had multiple hairbands as well as watches lol
Not being allowed to wear nail polish AT ALL. They even made a girl in my class remove her French manicure😒 I had got gel nails on TWO days before I went back to school, and they were bright pink and my form teacher saw them and (kind of nicely) told one of the vice-principals and I had to take them off. But because it was gel, the nail polish remover wouldn't work so HE MADE ME STAND IN MY FORM CLASS FOR THE REMAINING 20 MINUTES WITH A FLIPPING NAIL FILE, FILING OFF THE GEL POLISH👿 But I couldn't even get half of it off😂 So I had to file it off at home in my own time instead👿 Sat up to 2am taking that stuff off, and he didn't even check the next day!!! Totally could've gotten away with not doing it if I had tried😔
Reply 426
Original post by GoodGirlFaith
You must go to the same school as me, we had those exact ones and they had the schools motto on the bottom! Was is in Hertfordshire?

yeah lmao!!! you went to alleynes? although our ties didnt have the school motto at the time. i left the school a few yrs ago
(edited 7 years ago)
There were plentyFrom being made to take off makeup repeatedly (I was a repeat offender- like seriously I wore so much it's embarassing but it didnt affect my education so why not let me embarass myself??)
Black socks. There was one teacher who would regularly do "sock inspections" and get a few cm from your face if you wore one grey sock or something. She checked the rest of the uniform too. I remember once when a student teacher stood there literally with her jaw gaping as this 78 year old lady scolded a 13 year old because her trousers were too tight. Like she was pulling them away form her leg and
No going up and down one set of stairs (I can kinda understand this one bc it was a protected feature of an old grade II listed property. And we could only go one way down a specific corridor (tbf it was only about 80cm wide in one place and there were 200 odd students going through during lesson change. They told us scare stories of students being trampled. It was in the old servants quarters of the old building)
I once got told off for walking round the corner too quickly and not holding the door open properly (old sock teacher)
Another person was told off for sneezing too loudly
no use of mobile phones even during your own free time
One teacher took us outside the class and shouted at us about how we didnt take ourselves seriously and we were all going to fail at life because I quietly asked a friend to borrow a pen after mine exploded...
The rest is usual. Top buttons, ties (had to be done up in a specific way to avoid being picked on) blazers etc.
Original post by Arima
yeah lmao!!! you went to alleynes? although our ties didnt have the school motto at the time. i left the school a few yrs ago

I just left y11 this year :smile:
there's the planner you had to sign every week and a specific door students couldnt walk through (For reasons unknown)Also there was this one teacher who didn't mind students passing notes but cared if the notes were silly. (got caught passing notes like "bob the builder can we fix it"I was 12 ok?
Reply 430
Original post by GoodGirlFaith
I just left y11 this year :smile:

aw cool, youre free from that awful tie :smile:
No sex in the building
Untill year 9 there was an area where (mainly) the year 7's would go to have their lunch and play without hassle from older years.

In this area a fight broke out between year 11's and a big group of year 9's 10's and 11's crowded around them (as you do).

The year 7's obviously found it uncomfortable so decided to bring a teacher to stop the fight - which was pointless seing as it was almost over.

A teacher came and everybody dispersed, bringing me along to the stupid rule.

In assembly we were told students may only walk alone or with one friend in the corridors and outside there were to be no groups larger than four.

Pretty ridiculous right?
We can't wear accessories with different colours. A girl in my year got told off for wearing an orange hair tie because it was "distracting":colonhash:
This is not a rule as such but it is still quite an amusing story.

In my sixth form, in Year 12, we had this thing known as 'skills enrichment'. I cannot deny that some of it (first aid, debating) I found enjoyable and useful, and you had a limited choice of what you could do, but you had to do something different each term. Skills enrichment in itself is compulsory, so for one term I chose ceramics.

In ceramics we did a mosaic, which was meant to depict a picture (we never were told quite what that picture was meant to be) and have the school's name and motto on it. There were dozens of it doing this mosaic, and as there was no real planning some of us did patterned mosaics and others decided it should be plain and everybody had different ideas. After the skills enrichment term was over, the teachers said some of us should continue on to finish off this mosaic. From what I can tell, nobody did. Because it was basically exam time, and nobody wanted to go into a very hot room when they could have been spending that time revising exams instead.

Enter Year 13. In an assembly, our head of year says in a way annoyed way that we should be completing that mosaic and we should come in during our frees etc. (just minutes after he had been telling us that we ought to be using our frees for studying). He then said that if we didn't, he would bin the mosaic. From the expressions, half the students were thinking along the lines of 'would that really be a loss' or 'you are the only one who cares about this' or 'we still have a mosaic?'.

I saw the mosaic when picking up my A2 results yesterday. I'm not sure if anybody came back to complete it, but it does not look that very good... still not sure what the picture is meant to be.

Ah well, at least they tried.
Original post by Harold Godwinson
Yeah pretty lucky I guess, although it was her first time so she wasn't very good at it, so I had to tell her what to do.

In other words: you had more experience than her.*

Original post by LittleIrishGeek
Not being allowed to wear nail polish AT ALL. They even made a girl in my class remove her French manicure😒 I had got gel nails on TWO days before I went back to school, and they were bright pink and my form teacher saw them and (kind of nicely) told one of the vice-principals and I had to take them off. But because it was gel, the nail polish remover wouldn't work so HE MADE ME STAND IN MY FORM CLASS FOR THE REMAINING 20 MINUTES WITH A FLIPPING NAIL FILE, FILING OFF THE GEL POLISH👿 But I couldn't even get half of it off😂 So I had to file it off at home in my own time instead👿 Sat up to 2am taking that stuff off, and he didn't even check the next day!!! Totally could've gotten away with not doing it if I had tried😔

apart from the fact it is ridiculous, it is also a restriction in your liberality. Can't understand why it is not allowed to everyone of us to wear or not to wear nail polish. Is there a good reason for this nonsense?*
- Banning turtle necks because it "emphasis's" cleavage.
-Sending girls home if the skirt "emphasis's" their figure (Yet which they can't help)
- Not allowing any sort of phone in school, even if that means making an emergency phone call.
Not allowed chewing gum or if you did, you would spend all day in isolation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theu changed the school heads, so we got new uniforms new rules ect
One of the ridiculous ones was that the entire school now has lunch & break together- in one big corridor. Loud and despite having benches everywhere most people were still forced to stand. There was 1200+ of us crammed into this place. And add this this they banned going outside- this all happened when i was in year 11 and would have greatly appriciated a quiet study area.
No wearing blazers indoors since "they're not part of the school uniform" THEN WHY DID MY MUM SPEND LIKE £60 ON IT??? And here's the killer: these girls in my year were told of for not wearing their jumpers over the school shirts since "these white winter shirts must not be worn with neon or dark coloured undergarments. WHITE/ LIGHT bras are permitted". And this rule is new too...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending