The Student Room Group

How to get ahead with A-Level Chemistry?

Thinking of self-teaching myself a bit before I start in September, to ease a bit of the stress; I know it is one of the hardest A-levels. Would appreciate any advice.
Original post by ukila
Thinking of self-teaching myself a bit before I start in September, to ease a bit of the stress; I know it is one of the hardest A-levels. Would appreciate any advice.

You could get one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1782942807/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1847621163&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=J09RS6T3EWFB3FB2XSSR to bridge the gap, or find out which exam board your school/college do and get the text book for that to get a bit of a start.
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
You could get one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1782942807/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1847621163&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=J09RS6T3EWFB3FB2XSSR to bridge the gap, or find out which exam board your school/college do and get the text book for that to get a bit of a start.

Interesting, I didn't know CGP made books like that but it would definitely be useful. Is using this book better than going over my GCSE textbook though?
Original post by ukila

I think a lot of A2(OCR A) chemistry which I did this year (obviously don't know how much has changed!) is a lot of conceptual ideas, rather than just knowledge - in all honesty it's much simpler when somebody explains it to you. Maybe do a bit of reading and prepare yourself, but I think you'd be better off enjoying the summer and coming back fresh to college :smile:
Original post by ukila
Interesting, I didn't know CGP made books like that but it would definitely be useful. Is using this book better than going over my GCSE textbook though?

This book is meant to be a little more advanced than your GCSE textbook so it's meant to better prepare you for AS.
Reply 5
Original post by rayquaza17
This book is meant to be a little more advanced than your GCSE textbook so it's meant to better prepare you for AS.

Oh cool, I'll try it thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by samjfranklin
I think a lot of A2(OCR A) chemistry which I did this year (obviously don't know how much has changed!) is a lot of conceptual ideas, rather than just knowledge - in all honesty it's much simpler when somebody explains it to you. Maybe do a bit of reading and prepare yourself, but I think you'd be better off enjoying the summer and coming back fresh to college :smile:

A bit relieved to hear that to be honest, but I still think I need to do more work than others to not feel like an idiot in class since I'm not too great at maths and Chemistry is said to have quite its fair share.
Original post by ukila

I've just gone from an E to an A

https://chemrevise.org/revision-guides/

Best website.
Original post by ukila
A bit relieved to hear that to be honest, but I still think I need to do more work than others to not feel like an idiot in class since I'm not too great at maths and Chemistry is said to have quite its fair share.

A2 Chem is quite maths heavy; if anything practise some of the maths bits from AS chem and make sure you're up to speed with that. Also, I would say making sure you revisit anything from AS you weren't sure about would be a good idea rather than worrying about A2 quite yet!

Quick Reply

Latest