The Student Room Group

Should I even bother trying clearing?

I got a DDE; is that low enough that even in clearing I won't get accepted? I've been looking and all these universities have requirement grades of BBB or CCC, which even that is too high for mine.

Plus, even if I do get in they probably won't have any accomodation left.

And if I don't successfully do clearing and I try to reapply to University next year it won't make any difference because I'll still have the same rubbish DDE A-Levels.

What do y'all think?

Scroll to see replies

I would resit.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I would resit.

That's another thing I won't do; I've hated every second of the past two years of being at Sixth Form.
Original post by similarBlank
That's another thing I won't do; I've hated every second of the past two years of being at Sixth Form.

You don't have to stay at 6th form, find some part time employment and take a gap year and resit alongside working. That is what I plan on doing, I had a difficult year this year and hated every second of 6th form which is why I won't be going back there.

You will have to study yourself but I believe it is worth it.
Depends on what subject you want to do, I've not looked into it but some unis have a lot lower requirements than CCC, so you can look at those ones?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
You don't have to stay at 6th form, find some part time employment and take a gap year and resit alongside working. That is what I plan on doing, I had a difficult year this year and hated every second of 6th form which is why I won't be going back there.

This is good advice, sacrificing one year to have three years of studying what you want, where you want and better employment prospects afterwards is well worth it.

Would it have to be the same subjects though? I chose mainly coursework based subjects which, it turns out, I'm completely rubbish at, apparently.
have you considered doing an access course or if that fails a foundation year some degrees have one attached and you'd only need about 80 points to get on one of those solent does them they call them foundation degrees.
what is it you wanted to study?
Reply 9
You aren't alone, I had VERY similar results only I got DDU but I decided to go through clearing anyway and I have just been accepted into Cardiff Met but I am doing a foundation year first which I would recommend over doing a gap year
I got a DDE; is that low enough that even in clearing I won't get accepted? I've been looking and all these universities have requirement grades of BBB or CCC, which even that is too high for mine.

And if I don't successfully do clearing and I try to reapply to University next year it won't make any difference because I'll still have the same rubbish DDE A-Levels.

What do y'all think?

My friend got CEU and she still found a place in clearing. If you really want to go to uni this year, go through clearing.

Ring up those unis asking for CCC. Unis can be more flexible with entry requirements in clearing. I got offers for ABB-BBC courses with ACD. My equivalent is BCC.

Just try.
Original post by I am 1/Cos(C)
This is good advice, sacrificing one year to have three years of studying what you want, where you want and better employment prospects afterwards is well worth it.

I agree, I could have put myself through clearing but I didn't want to risk being unhappy. I just need to take my time and work on some other things also, which is why a gap year is probably the best option :-)

Would it have to be the same subjects though? I chose mainly coursework based subjects which, it turns out, I'm completely rubbish at, apparently.

You can repeat the same subjects, or you can do the reformed A-levels but that may be a little more complex. The benefit of sticking with the same subjects is

1) You already kind of know where you went wrong so you can improve.
2) You don't have to teach yourself a new spec because if you pick another A-level it will have to be a reformed version since you are not allowed to sit our spec anymore.
I agree, I could have put myself through clearing but I didn't want to risk being unhappy. I just need to take my time and work on some other things also, which is why a gap year is probably the best option :-)

Aha so you are in the same position. Studying is great and it's brilliant to feel you're achieving something, but given how long we work for as adults and how long you have worked for until this point, it's worthwhile to take a year out for yourself and do things you may not have the opportunity to do.

What do y'all think?

Have you considered a foundation degree course?

After completing a foundation degree you have the option to do a further two years at university to "top-up" your degree to a full BA degree.

We have a wide range of foundation degrees available through clearing. Call one of our networkers today to discuss your options 0333 920 8672

Good Luck!
Reply 14

What do y'all think?

You should at least try, there's no harm in phoning some universities. :smile:
Reply 15

What do y'all think?

I took a gap year as I didn't plan to go to uni, then I applied the next summer and clearing worked out for me, like they didn't really care about my ucas application.
I don't even have 3 full A-Levels. I got A-Level grade D and then AS: C, D, E.
Now I'm graduating with a 2:1 from uni of Lincoln.
I would resit the year mate. I did it and yeah it was long at times but good because it made me realise what I really want and that I would work damn hard (not just academically) to get there. Helped me focus a bit more than the fresh 18 year olds who have no idea what they wanna do. Once your past December it will fly by
(edited 7 years ago)
It's 20:11, I want to phone up a University. Have I left it too late in the day?
Original post by neal95
I would resit the year mate. I did it and yeah it was long at times but good because it made me realise what I really want and that I would work damn hard (not just academically) to get there. Helped me focus a bit more than the fresh 18 year olds who have no idea what they wanna do. Once your past December it will fly by

I was in the same positian,want me to be really honest?It took me 4 years to do my alevels.BUT it was well worth it.I am on a chem eng degree.We are all children,we all make mistakes,some bigger than others,this is life.

Dont let 1 year or 2 year etc.. fool u.Us humans work until 50yrs and even more.U will be looking back at it like Damnnn I should have retaken alevels and get on to what i wanted.

I know many people going in to clearing and choosing a course,later down the line they say this course isnt for me and are back to step 1..

After december time flies by.But u must make the most of the time.Dont sit around and think u have alot of time on your hands.Must really work hard and put your head down.Really pays off.Hope it helps!

Do it at a local college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending