The Student Room Group

You've probably not failed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Sorry but the figures/facts don't add up. If you took four attempts at a levels, and needed to go to college to pass them, a you wouldn't be 21 but 25, and b i doubt Cambridge would offer you a place, i'm sorry.

1. you can't do maths 5+16 = 21
2. the OP posted proof

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
1. you can't do maths 5+16 = 21
2. the OP posted proof

Posted from TSR Mobile

not that i saw.
Sorry but the figures/facts don't add up. If you took four attempts at a levels, and needed to go to college to pass them, a you wouldn't be 21 but 25, and b i doubt Cambridge would offer you a place, i'm sorry.

He is just starting uni not finishing it. You start your alevels at 16. After 4 years of doing alevels you would be 20/21.
Im wondering how you did alevels with only one c?
not that i saw.

Someone's been bitten by the green-eyed monster
Original post by WhisperingTide
Lemme tell y'all a story. A story of the little nerd who could. For most of my educational carrier I was a total potato, and not even a high quality potato, I'm talking a potato than even a starving Irishman would think twice about. My GCSE's were terrible, mostly U's, E's, (I got a C in maths, though, woooo!) and my first attempt at A-level was pretty much the same. I think maths was the only one I passed at AS-level, with an E. I quickly became what teachers might refer to as a 'tumble dryer student' I kept going around and around, without getting anywhere, always thinking "Meh, I'll do better next time." After my 3rd attempt at AS, at my 6th form, (And 3rd fail, woo. Go me.) I started getting really depressed. Like "Mate, pass me that fat shot of bleach and I'll have a Windex chaser" kind of depressed. Eventually I managed to punch myself right in the reality (boy, did that hurt) and realise that I actually had to turn myself around.
So, then I went to college, my 4th attempt at A-levels. And here's the thing: I'm not naturally smart and just lazy, I'm pretty average and (was) lazy, so, I worked my ass off (And trust me, after a year of ice-cream fuelled depression, that's a big ass to work off.) I knew this was my last chance to make something of myself.

Here I am now, at 21, with a lot of work and some good guidance from my college staff, I'm going off to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I don't even have any decent work experience. Whoever said you needed excellent GCES's, no resits and tones of experience to get in was lying through their teeth.) I'm not here to gloat, I'm here to try to convince you guys, particularly you guys who perhaps haven't got the results you may have wanted, who might feel a bit down, who don't know what to do now - It's not the end of the line. To quote George Eliot: "It's never too late to be what you might have been." You can pick yourself up, you can make something of yourself. You, too, can be the little nerd who could.

first of all well done, this brought a smile on my face :biggrin:. Did you apply with your overall a levels results or with your As results?
Original post by Shumaya
Someone's been bitten by the green-eyed monster

I actually know the op, if it is who i think it is. And he doesn't even have a c at gcse maths, let alone a place at cambridge. He does however have the gift of the gab, and the ability to wind a compelling yarn, i can assure you now!
Original post by Kholmes1
He is just starting uni not finishing it. You start your alevels at 16. After 4 years of doing alevels you would be 20/21.

He didn't say four years of a levels, but four restarts. Which can mean up to eight years i'm afraid to say. You tsr users are too gullible on the most part.
Reply 27
He didn't say four years of a levels, but four restarts. Which can mean up to eight years i'm afraid to say. You tsr users are too gullible on the most part.

lol @ you calling somebody gullible
I love this so much. I'm giving college a second try starting in September and I've been feeling really crap about it but this has made me feel better. Good on you, enjoy uni!
Reply 29
Lots of gaps in the story but commendable never the less
I actually know the op, if it is who i think it is. And he doesn't even have a c at gcse maths, let alone a place at cambridge. He does however have the gift of the gab, and the ability to wind a compelling yarn, i can assure you now!

I kind of agree with you-it doesn't add up how would he get to Cambridge with his poor gcse's even if he did improve his A-levels?

I never made it past AS the first 3 times. 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 5
16 + 5 = 21

You clearly do not know me and I posted proof on the previous page.
The point of this is to try to show people there is always hope, not to stroke my ego.

Original post by Raizelcadres
first of all well done, this brought a smile on my face :biggrin:. Did you apply with your overall a levels results or with your As results?

I applied with my As level results, which were AAACD at the time, I stated on the SAQ that I intended to resit a few exams.

Original post by Kholmes1

By convincing my teachers that I could do better. Which I did. Eventually.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gnatt27
I kind of agree with you-it doesn't add up how would he get to Cambridge with his poor gcse's even if he did improve his A-levels?

People assume Cambridge want perfection, they don't, they want potential. They are too smart to care about who you were more so than who you are and who you could become.

My god, I wanted the to be much less about me and much more about showing other people that you've never truly failed.

Tell you what, come October 1st you can have a picture of me holding my awful GCSE'S at Hughes Hall - then maybe the reason I made this thread can stop drowning in a sea of bad mojo. You wiggidy?
My god, I wanted the to be much less about me and much more about showing other people that you've never truly failed.
This isn't a proper sentence i'm afraid.

Tell you what, come October 1st you can have a picture of me holding my awful GCSE'S at Hughes Hall - then maybe the reason I made this thread can stop drowning in a sea of bad mojo. You wiggidy?

I thought you said that you had recently completed your a levels. So why are you talking about a GCSE photo being released on october the first ??

Spoiler

Reply 34
So i got:
C for Media Studies
D for Sociology
C for Hisotory
E for Art
And my school wont let me do art to a2 which is very unfair, which would not let me drop history which i absolutely hate with a passion after gcse and i absolutely hated doing the AS level, i kept getting Us Es and Fs at end of term assessments and suddenly get a C which screwed me over because now i my Sixth form will not let me do art, is there anyway i can get them to actually let me do art AS, anything i can do legally?
Reply 35
Maths, Further Maths, Physics - A*
Chemistry - A (5 UMS OFF OF AN A* *angry fist shake*)
Biology - C

A pretty big step up from my original UUUE when I first did AS.

Hate to be that guy but what was the UMS for each and the average? I heard that the magic number is 93% (or above) average across your 3 or 4 relevant subjects.
Reply 36
This isn't a proper sentence i'm afraid.

Ever heard of typos? Oh wait you haven't, because you went to Cambridge, oh, what's that? Oh...

I thought you said that you had recently completed your a levels. So why are you talking about a GCSE photo being released on october the first ??

Spoiler

You were the one talking smack about his GCSE's and now that he proposes to give you concrete proof of not only that but also his place at Cambridge, you become scared and decide to attack him by saying he is a,so called, "epic fail".
Looks like your equality is wrong, should be
you=weak, jealous, insecure (the list goes on)
Enjoy your Derby degree :borat:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by stereoashhh

Not even his A level grades match up. Entry requirements are A*A*A. You guys think Cambridge let him in with A*AC?

Check again, A*A*A*AC are his grades. So with the 3 A* he already has enough.

I say we go by "Until proven guilty, the person is innocent". When concrete proof is provided then the matter will be settled. I believe him, I believe things easily but this seems pretty real too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Loool you man are haters😂 Well done, very inspiring story.
I see most of the naysayers didn't even bother reading the thread properly, standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest