The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by espicton98
Thankyou so much for such a detailed response, you have put my mind to rest a little ! :smile:

You're very welcome, I'm glad to have been of help. :smile:
Original post by DonAchille
@Christ's Admissions would you mind having a look at this post when you have a minute. Many thanks.

I think the best thing you can do is ask on the mature student thread as my colleague at Lucy Cavendish will be able to answer this much better than I could. When we get a tricky mature case like this, we always ask our colleagues at mature colleges for their advice about how to handle it.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
A*A*B isn't enough.

I think I will take this as my cue to resit?

Sorry to be a hassle I am just so confused as to what to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
A student receives an A*AA offer and gets AAA, being 1 UMS an A* in a subject.
What are your thoughts? Thanks
Reply 684
Hello and thanks for your questions. The new History and Economics AS Levels don't have UMS only raw marks and you can't calculate UMS from that. With four As at AS, despite the relatively low UMS I am inferring you got in Maths and Philosophy, I think you would get an interview but that isn't guaranteed. Your application isn't going to be the strongest in terms of public examinations but if yoou do well in other aspects of the process you can still get a offer, yes.

Thank you for your clear (and quick) response. This information is definitely very useful to me.
Original post by Atticusfalls95
I think I will take this as my cue to resit?

Sorry to be a hassle I am just so confused as to what to do.

An A*A*B prediction isn't enough for an 18 year old. It's vital that you recognise that all applications are handled individually (especially true when dealing with mature applicants) and your circumstances are different to those of the candidate I was writing to.

With regards to your other message, you should apply for the course you want to do and trust us to handle your application with sensitivity. As I've said in an earlier post tonight, ATs at standard-aged colleges will take advice from their mature college colleagues where they are unsure. Given your circumstances, you are not going to be treated like someone with an A*A*B prediction.

UMS isn;t used primarily to see if students are on track for predicted grades, that's one of the things it was used for. it is used to measure achievement and a higher UMS A* is better than a lower one. But, in the end, everything is taken into account.
Original post by Clarinet
A student receives an A*AA offer and gets AAA, being 1 UMS an A* in a subject.
What are your thoughts? Thanks

Nonsense question, the university would have plenty of other factors and variables to factor in, not just that.
Original post by Zacken
Nonsense question, the university would have plenty of other factors and variables to factor in, not just that.

That's what I'd be interested to know, whether they would take in other factors or whether it'd be a clear-cut rejection
Original post by Clarinet
That's what I'd be interested to know, whether they would take in other factors or whether it'd be a clear-cut rejection

? It's incredibly obvious that they'd take in other factors...
Original post by 124375
Hi, this isn't especially specific to Christ's since I think they're having an open day soon but for other colleges would they let offer holders (and parents) have a quick look round the college these holidays before term starts? Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, if you ask the porters nicely.
This isn't specific to Cambridge, but do you know how you "declare" AS results on UCAS for reformed subjects? Do you add in an AS qualification and the grade even if you are continuing to next year? And if you don't do this, where do you put the grade you achieved? School Is not being very helpful! Thanks :smile:
Original post by 124375
Would it be better to just turn up on the day or ring beforehand? Don't want to cause any disturbance or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

just turn up tbh
Original post by 124375
Would it be better to just turn up on the day or ring beforehand? Don't want to cause any disturbance or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always nicer to ring them up beforehand. It's more courteous, to start with , and they may even arrange someone to accompany you to show some parts of college that's you're not allowed to go in if you're left to walk around yourselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
An A*A*B prediction isn't enough for an 18 year old. It's vital that you recognise that all applications are handled individually (especially true when dealing with mature applicants) and your circumstances are different to those of the candidate I was writing to.

With regards to your other message, you should apply for the course you want to do and trust us to handle your application with sensitivity. As I've said in an earlier post tonight, ATs at standard-aged colleges will take advice from their mature college colleagues where they are unsure. Given your circumstances, you are not going to be treated like someone with an A*A*B prediction.

UMS isn;t used primarily to see if students are on track for predicted grades, that's one of the things it was used for. it is used to measure achievement and a higher UMS A* is better than a lower one. But, in the end, everything is taken into account.

Thanks for replying so promptly. I appreciate the distinction, just trying to gather as much information as possible at this stage. Threads like this are incredibly helpful.
Are there any colleges that don't offer NatSci? Also, which colleges require you to sit the TSA for the subject?
When living in Colleges, will we have to take all of our belongings back home every time we leave the colleges after a term has ended, then bring it all back when the next term begins?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
When living in Colleges, will we have to take all of our belongings back home every time we leave the colleges after a term has ended, then bring it all back when the next term begins?

As a general rule, yes.
But small details varies from college to college and often depends on a type of accommodation, too.
Many colleges allow you to leave small amount of stuff to leave in a part of your wardrobe that's lockable.
Also, some colleges have larger storage cupboard for third/fourth years to store some stuff during holidays. (But never large enough to leave all of the stuff)
From second year onward if you live in a college-owned house, you're often allowed to leave all your stuff in the house during holiday.

Some colleges allow you to leave your bike in their bike park during holidays, some don't.

After three terms x three years of packing/unpacking and loading/unloading a car, you'll be very good at 3D jigsaw puzzle....:wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it a big disadvantage to have AS grades AAAB as opposed to 4As?
Reply 698
Hello! I am going into sixth form this year and am hoping to apply to Cambridge for history. My question is, is History, Maths and Further Maths a set of subjects that would be considered by admissions? Or would the fact that there is maths/fm make my application less appealing? Also I know you must get this question a lot, but with the new a levels, would 4/5 A* at GCSE and then high UMS scores in AS be enough to get a application considered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vincrows
As a general rule, yes.
But small details varies from college to college and often depends on a type of accommodation, too.
Many colleges allow you to leave small amount of stuff to leave in a part of your wardrobe that's lockable.
Also, some colleges have larger storage cupboard for third/fourth years to store some stuff during holidays. (But never large enough to leave all of the stuff)
From second year onward if you live in a college-owned house, you're often allowed to leave all your stuff in the house during holiday.

Some colleges allow you to leave your bike in their bike park during holidays, some don't.

After three terms x three years of packing/unpacking and loading/unloading a car, you'll be very good at 3D jigsaw puzzle....:wink:

Thanks a ton! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending