The Student Room Group

If I re-take Maths GCSE will I be able to take Maths A-level?

Title

Scroll to see replies

lol if you flopped maths or never got a grade required for A-Level how can you possibly handle the work load?
xD
No
Reply 3
Original post by LearnForYOU
lol if you flopped maths or never got a grade required for A-Level how can you possibly handle the work load?
xD

My mum said she'll hire a lot of tutors and if I put in the work I can achieve. However loads of my friends said that you can re-take maths and take A-levels of that subject.
Probably not, and it's most likely not a good idea tbh

Unless you have extenuating circumstances I doubt any college/6th form would consider it

You could try to do it as a private candidate by self learning/private tutoring though, if you were really really commited, though I wouldn't reccomend it
Only if you can be bothered to take a whole year out to resit the Maths GCSE and even then you might just fail it again. Also if you need loads of tutors just to pass GCSE you haven't got much hope for passing A Level
You don't need to pass the GCSE at all to take the A level, though the vast majority of colleges will require you to do so.

If you genuinely tried to do well and still failed the GCSE I would consider whether you are likely to be able to cope with the A level. The GCSE material can comfortably be learnt in a few days by somebody with some ability in the subject so perhaps your skills are simply in other areas? There is no shame in that.

Either way, best of luck!
Reply 7
You would have to check with the school/college that you will be doing your A Levels.I am sure you would have to put forward a very, very good case. What grade do you think you will get/ got anyway?

From experience some students that get As (and even A*) at GCSE struggle with the A Level. Getting tutors is not the absolute answer, they are not magicians. Think seriously, do you really want to put so much stress on yourself when you could study another academic subject that you are good at and that would be respected by a University or Employer?

Best of luck with your results !!
Reply 8
A girl in our Sixth Form retook her Maths GCSE alongside her A-Level Maths... only difference is, she achieved an A first time round in her GCSE maths...
I know people who got A*s in GCSE Maths but failed te A Level
Original post by LordTrickster
Title

What grade are you expecting to achieve before the resit? If it is a D then you are not being very realistic about your suitability for Advanced Level study.
Original post by Mr M
What grade are you expecting to achieve before the resit? If it is a D then you are not being very realistic about your suitability for Advanced Level study.

i got a D in GCSE maths first time around.
i achieved an A in A-Level Maths this year :smile:
I'm going to give you some constructive advice:

If you failed your GCSEs then you can retake them and get a higher mark. If you're still determined to study maths at a higher level, try doing AS level Maths over two years. So where you'd be writing A2 you'd write AS. This might be more manageable because A Level is way harder than GCSE.
Good luck :colondollar:
I bet your first time around wasn't at the end of Year 11 but well done anyway. That's a mighty unusual pathway
It depends on the sixth form / college. For my sixth form you were allowed to retake the GCSE's but you cannot take the AS module of that subject till you meet the requirements, eg: an A is needed for Maths AS, so you need to retake the Maths GCSE..get an A in that THEN take the AS level of that - Maths AS. You will be wasting a year just for retaking a GCSE and top end uni's will definitely look down upon it unless you get an excellent grade in Maths.

I'd recommend contacting the sixth form / college you're applying to and see what they say.

My mum said she'll hire a lot of tutors and if I put in the work I can achieve. However loads of my friends said that you can re-take maths and take A-levels of that subject.

Depending on the sixth form, they may offer 1 to 1 tuition (No circumstances needed) as well a workshops after school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
I bet your first time around wasn't at the end of Year 11 but well done anyway. That's a mighty unusual pathway

Nope. I was put into an alternative education institution, basically a centre due to my immature behaviour. I barely scrapped a C in GCSE maths, I was fortunate enough to be given a chance at a sixth form and I achieved an A in A level maths.

The problem was not that I was incapable of doing maths, I just didn't work hard enough.

xxx

OP, if you believe you didn't work hard enough this year, disregard the posts in this thread which say you won't be capable of doing A level maths.

Even if your sixth form declare that you can't do A level maths due to your low GCSE grade, self-teach and ask to take a test in November for C1 + C2. Make sure you score high, this will prove you're more than capable.

Good luck.

Edit: 1 to 1 tuition will do you no good, unless you're willing to put in the work by yourself. I had a tutor but after like 2 months, I realised it was just a waste of time. Look at how much free resources you have! ExamSolutions, HegartyMaths, TSR, Khanacademy etc....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr M

i did modular maths. i sat two of the modules in y9 and y10 respectively. i screwed them up because i didn't take exams seriously when i was 13/14 years old.
Technically probably not, but it wouldn't be advised to take it at a level if you failed. :frown: Our sixth form requires a B first time sat and advises an A or an A* to consider it

good luck tomorrow :smile:
I got a D in my maths as I got 128/200 UMS marks but how many marks do you need to get a C? (as UMS)
Reply 19
I failed Maths as well. Received a conditional offer from Manchester Uni with the condition of getting C in GCSE Maths. Missed my offer. You can retake in November (alongside Maths A level) but you will probably struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest