The Student Room Group

A-level subject choices - biology or sociology?

Hey guys!

First off, I hope that you guys who received your AS and A-level results last week got what you were expecting (and hopefully more) and that you all got into the respective universities that you wanted!

In two weeks time I will begin my A-levels and whilst I am overjoyed to be starting them, I'm having difficulty deciding which subject to take for my final option. Originally, I had selected English literature, history, psychology and biology as my four subjects, but after looking over the course content for biology and speaking with some students at Durham University, I am now favouring more towards taking sociology as my AS subject rather than biology. The AQA psychology course that I will be taking next year would provide me with a biopsychology unit (which would cover the necessary biological aspect of psychology that I would need) and the AS biology course just doesn't seem to interest me as much as I thought it would whereas the sociology course not only seems more engaging, but would also coexist well with my other subjects that I am adamant on taking.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what you think would be best for me in terms of my career pathway (that being to hopefully study educational psychology at Durham). I would just like to add that all the universities that I have looked at do not necessarily require a science-based subject as a requirement as the psychology is accepted for this.

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help, and I hope that you all are enjoying your summer!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by GCSEStudent386
Hey guys!

First off, I hope that you guys who received your AS and A-level results last week got what you were expecting (and hopefully more) and that you all got into the respective universities that you wanted!

In two weeks time I will begin my A-levels and whilst I am overjoyed to be starting them, I'm having difficulty deciding which subject to take for my final option. Originally, I had selected English literature, history, psychology and biology as my four subjects, but after looking over the course content for biology and speaking with some students at Durham University, I am now favouring more towards taking sociology as my AS subject rather than biology. The AQA psychology course that I will be taking next year would provide me with a biopsychology unit (which would cover the necessary biological aspect of psychology that I would need) and the AS biology course just doesn't seem to interest me as much as I thought it would whereas the sociology course not only seems more engaging, but would also coexist well with my other subjects that I am adamant on taking.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what you think would be best for me in terms of my career pathway (that being to hopefully study educational psychology at Durham). I would just like to add that all the universities that I have looked at do not necessarily require a science-based subject as a requirement as the psychology is accepted for this.

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help, and I hope that you all are enjoying your summer!

Hi I did both biology and sociology at A Level and Sociology is a great subject it is very interesting and if you put in the effort you can get a good grade. However biology is also a great subject but there is a lot of content to learn and very tough compared to GCSEs. You said you wanted to do educational psychology at university i suggest you do sociology instead of biology as its interesting and easy to get a good grade if you put in the work.
Original post by MMR16
Hi I did both biology and sociology at A Level and Sociology is a great subject it is very interesting and if you put in the effort you can get a good grade. However biology is also a great subject but there is a lot of content to learn and very tough compared to GCSEs. You said you wanted to do educational psychology at university i suggest you do sociology instead of biology as its interesting and easy to get a good grade if you put in the work.

Hey - thanks for the reply!

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it! I think I will be opting for Sociology come September as the course sounds incredibly interesting & I'm definitely willing to put in the effort to get an A. Here's hoping all goes well!
Reply 4

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it! I think I will be opting for Sociology come September as the course sounds incredibly interesting & I'm definitely willing to put in the effort to get an A. Here's hoping all goes well!

Thats great to hear all the best with your studies!! :smile:

Hey, I was literally in the same situation as you are when I chose my A-levels! I wanted to do 3 subjects and I knew I definitely wanted to english literature and psychology. For my third subject, I didn't know if I should do biology or sociology. I spoke to many teachers though and people who studied these subjects which then resulted me in choosing sociology, just because I think it would help more because I want to go into journalism. I think (hope) that I enjoy it too.
Good luck!
Original post by zxynab1505
Hey, I was literally in the same situation as you are when I chose my A-levels! I wanted to do 3 subjects and I knew I definitely wanted to english literature and psychology. For my third subject, I didn't know if I should do biology or sociology. I spoke to many teachers though and people who studied these subjects which then resulted me in choosing sociology, just because I think it would help more because I want to go into journalism. I think (hope) that I enjoy it too.
Good luck!

It's frustrating because both are such interesting subjects to take, but ultimately it comes down to what you will enjoy more, and for us it seems, Sociology was definitely that option. Are you still doing your a-levels/have you just finished them/will you be starting them in September? Regardless, I hope all is going well with your pursuit into journalism!
Hey guys!

I did sociology at a-level and loved it.
If you want to do psychology at uni then id do sociology.
Original post by Emma:-)
I did sociology at a-level and loved it.
If you want to do psychology at uni then id do sociology.

Glad you enjoyed it so much! Also, thank you for the advice - I've informed my Sixth Form that I'll be changing my option from Biology to Sociology so here's hoping it all goes well! :smile:
Glad you enjoyed it so much! Also, thank you for the advice - I've informed my Sixth Form that I'll be changing my option from Biology to Sociology so here's hoping it all goes well! :smile:

Hope it all goes well and you like sociology as much as i did.

Quick Reply

Latest