The Student Room Group

What do I do?

I've received my GCSE results this week and they were disappointing. I failed 3 subjects completely with E grades and got 6 C's and a B in the passes. This includes passes in English Language (higher level)and Maths (higher level). I did a lot of revision, lots of practice papers and then performed below my predictions. I'm not an A * student but I was predicted an A, Bs and C's. I always get on with my work but do find exams difficult. My school believe I'm still capable of doing 3 A levels and will support me closely with my learning to see where I must be going wrong.
In addition my parents are insisting that I change schools and start 'fresh' as they believe the school should have identified I needed more support. I've been looking at new schools but they require a B grade in the A level subjects I want to study. My confidence has taken a real battering. I'm not a difficult student: I get on with my work as I know it has to be done and I've got good friends who are well behaved too.
Reply 1
Original post by VictoriaF
I've received my GCSE results this week and they were disappointing. I failed 3 subjects completely with E grades and got 6 C's and a B in the passes. This includes passes in English Language (higher level)and Maths (higher level). I did a lot of revision, lots of practice papers and then performed below my predictions. I'm not an A * student but I was predicted an A, Bs and C's. I always get on with my work but do find exams difficult. My school believe I'm still capable of doing 3 A levels and will support me closely with my learning to see where I must be going wrong.
In addition my parents are insisting that I change schools and start 'fresh' as they believe the school should have identified I needed more support. I've been looking at new schools but they require a B grade in the A level subjects I want to study. My confidence has taken a real battering. I'm not a difficult student: I get on with my work as I know it has to be done and I've got good friends who are well behaved too.

I agree with your mums point, however you will find most colleges want B grades at GCSE to continue at a level. Some just say B but in reality want A's. I think you are better off staying at your school, and they have offered to help you more which is even better. As for your GCSE's I wouldn't worry about them, they're not that important, unless your university requires GCSE grades and most if them don't I believe. The only ones that are important are English and maths which you need a Grade C or higher. And if your not even happy with the C's you should ask your school if you could resit for a higher grade.

Hope this helps

Pix

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you. I meant to include in my post the question of me being able to achieve B grades at A level, obviously I will aim and would like As but after my GCSE results where I thought I'd done a lot better, I don't know. I'm going to use TSR a lot in the future that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest