The Student Room Group

Level 3 EXTENDED DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE?? 3 A levels?

Apparently it is worth 3 A levels and I'm doing it with 3 GCSEs.

What is it like?

My question is: Can you drop it after a year and will you get the equivalent to 2 A levels as it is supposed to be a 2 year course. If you do it for 2 years and pass I know you come out with the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Thanks.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Why dont you just resit everything then go do alevels
Btec in applied sciences is a good choice for opportunities both in terms of going to uni and getting into industry.

Best bet is to ask your college how it's structured in terms of your question.
Original post by Kryptonian
Apparently it is worth 3 A levels and I'm doing it with 3 GCSEs.

What is it like?

My question is: Can you drop it after a year and will you get the equivalent to 2 A levels as it is supposed to be a 2 year course. If you do it for 2 years and pass I know you come out with the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Thanks.

It's equivalent to 3 A-levels on the national qualifications framework but unfortunately definitely not as valued as 3 a-levels in say Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I don't believe you can drop it after a year like that either, perhaps if you've done the modules for a diploma by then?
With three GCSE's, A level science subjects would be a real struggle because they are so exams based. If science is your thing then a btec will be a better vehicle for you to do well with.

Reply 6
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Why dont you just resit everything then go do alevels

I think I might do that actually. I enrolled on the level 3 but I'll just resit my GCSEs this year that might be better for me
Reply 7
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Btec in applied sciences is a good choice for opportunities both in terms of going to uni and getting into industry.

Best bet is to ask your college how it's structured in terms of your question.

Would it be better if I spent this year improving my GCSE grades and then doing A levels the year after?
Reply 8
Original post by CloakedSpartan
It's equivalent to 3 A-levels on the national qualifications framework but unfortunately definitely not as valued as 3 a-levels in say Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I don't believe you can drop it after a year like that either, perhaps if you've done the modules for a diploma by then?

I will spend this year resitting GCSEs and do A level route the year later then does that sound like a good plan?
Reply 9
With three GCSE's, A level science subjects would be a real struggle because they are so exams based. If science is your thing then a btec will be a better vehicle for you to do well with.

I did really well in my science exams though and maths .
Original post by Kryptonian
I did really well in my science exams though and maths .

If exams aren't your thing overall though you may be better off with a btec.

The idea that btec is inferior is predominant on this website because so many people think they'll fail at life if they don't do to a Russell Group uni but in reality this simply isn't the case. I'm in my late 20s and I've done A levels, btec, Russell Group and ex poly so I am speaking from experience. For many science courses, ex polys can be more practical which is what you want for getting into industry.

The btec course is a good opportunity and if science is what I wanted to do, I'd grab it.
If exams aren't your thing overall though you may be better off with a btec.

The idea that btec is inferior is predominant on this website because so many people think they'll fail at life if they don't do to a Russell Group uni but in reality this simply isn't the case. I'm in my late 20s and I've done A levels, btec, Russell Group and ex poly so I am speaking from experience. For many science courses, ex polys can be more practical which is what you want for getting into industry.

The btec course is a good opportunity and if science is what I wanted to do, I'd grab it.

Definitely depends on what you do with it. BTECs will get you somewhere but they're not ideal for people who were previously set on the usual academic route.
Your best bet OP is to look at some university courses that interest you and see what the entry requirements are. The A level vs btec debate is never ending.

I'm training to teach in FE and I think it's a crying shame that so many feel pressured into doing A level even when they're likely to struggle immensely with it. There are lots of learners who thrive on btecs and nvqs amd get into university courses that suit their needs.

Quick Reply

Latest