The Student Room Group

Should I pick A-level maths if I got a B in GCSE maths??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by valdokarina
I wanted to do AS maths but my sixthform sadly doesn't offer it :frown:

Self teach it. Use ExamSolutions thats all u need he teaches u everything. I didnt even use a teacher. + it'll look impressive on ucas
Original post by lolololol
It really depends on why you only got a B at GCSE. Were you lazy or did you find it difficult? You will need to understand a lot of the A* parts of GCSE maths (especially algebra) very well as lots of topics at A Level build on these.

I am a maths teacher, and the majority of students who do A Level Maths with a B at GCSE do not do very well. However, one of my students last year got a B at GCSE and ended up with an A* in A Level after working his absolute socks off.

I worked hard however I did not like the very wordy questions I think they messed me up, but I loved algebra and statistics.
Do it for AS, drop it for A2
Original post by lightwoXd
At A level it's more to do with the work you put in - if you put aside time to practice and make sure you ask for help when you encounter something you don't understand you should be fine. And if you enjoy the subject, I don't see why not (if you decide to take it then find a little ways into the course that it isn't for you, you can always drop it or swap it if your college allows).
GCSE grade isn't a very accurate prediction of how you'll do at A level.

Yes that's what I was thinking of doing as we have 2 weeks to change any subjects we don't like so I'm thinking of giving maths a go and see how I feel about it, so thank you!
I'm thinking about my A-level choices and I'm considering maths because I enjoy it, at GCSE maths I got a high B. I was wondering if I should pick it because, I like maths but I know the jump from GCSEs to A levels is massive but I do think I'm very hard working, so will I struggle with just a B in gcse maths? should I consider picking something else? Also at my sixthform we had to take an A level maths entry exam and if we passed we could do maths at A levels and I did pass to do A level maths, but I'm still very conflicted.

I'm currently picking sociology, history and business studies (just for a year) and my gcse results were 4A*s 6As and 1B

if you aren't prepared to work hard don't do it, I had a B at GCSE and ended up with a U at AS and re-sat and got an E, not saying you'll get the same but my experience isn't rare I'm afraid
Original post by prostheticzeta
I got an A in gcse Maths, 3 marks of an A* ...yet got an E at Maths AS with a personal tutor... For some people, maths stops at gcse, and for some people, their brain is capable of A level. It is really up to you.. How mathematical do you think your brain is?

I started in year 7 hating maths and in year 9 something clicked and I really liked maths and became good, for some reason I understand the harder stuff better than the easier stuff. I think I am mathematical but I'm probably more linguistic however, I did get into A level maths as we took an entry exam and some people with high A's in gcse maths didn't get in, which is weird.
Original post by fefssdf
Based on my year's performance, I don't know anyone who got a B at gcse who went on to get above a C at A-level

I see, thank you
I know people that got nearly full us at a level from a c at GCSE but I also know people that got a U and didn't carry it past AS.

You get out what you put in really.
Algebra was my favourite topic in gcse maths it's just the long and wordy questions that let me down.

I did OCR and there isn't long wordy questions on C1, C2, C3, C4.

Also I got a low B at GCSE, 30 or so marks from an A and then I got an A at A level in June. However I didn't work at GCSE at all so thats largely why. If you worked really hard at GCSE and got a B then it would definitely be a big struggle but with enough hard work outside the course its possible. Maybe get a tutor as well if thats an option.
Original post by Jasaron
This video was made for people in your situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4&feature=youtu.be

Already seen this thanks, good video
Original post by lucysteel98
if you aren't prepared to work hard don't do it, I had a B at GCSE and ended up with a U at AS and re-sat and got an E, not saying you'll get the same but my experience isn't rare I'm afraid

ok I understand, thank you
ok I understand, thank you

I hope I didn't come off too harsh, but I wish someone had told me the same when I was choosing my options, good luck!
Generally speaking, people who get a B at GCSE maths struggle a lot with A-Level maths. Unless there were exceptional circumstances that meant you got a B instead of an A/A*, I'd recommend you take something else that will get you a better grade.
Reply 33
I got B in GCSE maths and ended with B in AS maths and then i dropped it so fast because well, its hard as nails.
EDIT
I worked hard tho and realised that understanding the subject and practice is key, also tuition is a great idea...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Delvine
I got B in GCSE maths and ended with B in AS maths and then i dropped it so fast because well, its hard as nails.

What exam board?
Reply 35
Original post by Rajive
What exam board?

I did Edexcel
Original post by lucysteel98
I hope I didn't come off too harsh, but I wish someone had told me the same when I was choosing my options, good luck!

Oh no you didn't don't worry, and thank you :smile:
Original post by goofygoat
Generally speaking, people who get a B at GCSE maths struggle a lot with A-Level maths. Unless there were exceptional circumstances that meant you got a B instead of an A/A*, I'd recommend you take something else that will get you a better grade.

I see, thank you for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest