The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

LLB Law at Queen Mary University with AAA predicted?

I achieved AAAB at AS and am carrying on with the AAB subjects. I am presuming that I will be predicted AAA (it's an A*AA course), and I was wondering if I would stand a chance applying for Law at Queen Mary with those grades. I also have the EPQ.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ett11
I achieved AAAB at AS and am carrying on with the AAB subjects. I am presuming that I will be predicted AAA (it's an A*AA course), and I was wondering if I would stand a chance applying for Law at Queen Mary with those grades. I also have the EPQ.

A prediction of A*AA would certainly help. What were your UMS at AS in the subjects you are continuing?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by ett11

Why on earth would you go to Queen Mary with A*AA? lol. You could go to a much better university than that

Edit: but yeah I imagine you'll be fine getting in, I really don't think their students enrolled got A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
A prediction of A*AA would certainly help. What were your UMS at AS in the subjects you are continuing?

Well, they have scrapped the UMS now, but I got 80/100 for History (a low A), 64/100 for English (a high B - grade boundaries were low and I got an A on one paper and a D on the other) and 190/200 for Spanish. Spanish is the only one of my subjects which is still modular, and I got 50/60 on Unit 1 and 140/140 for Unit 2.

I might be able to get an A* prediction, but I know that the school are cautious.
Reply 4
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Why on earth would you go to Queen Mary with A*AA? lol. You could go to a much better university than that

Edit: but yeah I imagine you'll be fine getting in, I really don't think their students enrolled got A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at the average tariff points, it seems that a lot of people got A*AA. However, they didn't have the EPQ or an extra AS Level, judging by the average tariff. However, I don't know if Queen Mary takes that into consideration. All I know is that they ask for A*AA.

I thought Queen Mary was supposed to be very good, even if not as good as King's and UCL. However, I really like the look of it. :smile: The legal clinic looks really good, and the campus appeals to me.
Original post by ett11
Looking at the average tariff points, it seems that a lot of people got A*AA. However, they didn't have the EPQ or an extra AS Level, judging by the average tariff. However, I don't know if Queen Mary takes that into consideration. All I know is that they ask for A*AA.

I thought Queen Mary was supposed to be very good, even if not as good as King's and UCL. However, I really like the look of it. :smile: The legal clinic looks really good, and the campus appeals to me.

Fair enough!

Was just trying to say that I think Queen Mary is very overrated in my opinion, and you're much better off at UCL / KCL - but your choice! :smile: best of luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ett11
Well, they have scrapped the UMS now, but I got 80/100 for History (a low A), 64/100 for English (a high B - grade boundaries were low and I got an A on one paper and a D on the other) and 190/200 for Spanish. Spanish is the only one of my subjects which is still modular, and I got 50/60 on Unit 1 and 140/140 for Unit 2.

I might be able to get an A* prediction, but I know that the school are cautious.

Definitely push for an A* prediction in Spanish. Having it means that you meet QM's typical requirements; and vice versa.
Reply 7
Original post by ett11

How does one find the average tariff points for a particular course?
Original post by Stickies
How does one find the average tariff points for a particular course?

unistats and league tables tend to have them as a factor. it's not avg ucas points required but rather avg achieved.

unistats is nice because you can see the distribution of points achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
unistats and league tables tend to have them as a factor. it's not avg ucas points required but rather avg achieved.

unistats is nice because you can see the distribution of points achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've calculated my tariff points and it is 234. As a foreign student who's completely new to this system, how good is this for a course such as law?
I've calculated my tariff points and it is 234. As a foreign student who's completely new to this system, how good is this for a course such as law?

Is this the 2017 ucas tariff point system?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Is this the 2017 ucas tariff point system?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes. That E grade for A Level was something I was forced to take on the side based on my country's bilingual policy.Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 9.32.00 AM.png
(edited 7 years ago)
yes. That E grade for A Level was something I was forced to take on the side based on my country's bilingual policy.Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 9.32.00 AM.png

Ahh, so you have what 38 on the IB? And 765 HL? That's sort of like A*AB/AAA level.

A lot of unis will state their IB requirements on their entry requirements site anyway, as it doesn't match up always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ett11

Hiya what did you achieve for GCSE? 😄 Do you think they are heavy weighed on GCSE?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hiya what did you achieve for GCSE? 😄 Do you think they are heavy weighed on GCSE?

No they are not heavy weighted on GCSEs

Seriously though, don't go QM - you'll regret it over the likes of Nottingham, Bristol etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously though, don't go QM - you'll regret it over the likes of Nottingham, Bristol etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you say so? Their entry requirements and league table rankings say otherwise. I'm not trying to come across as defensive as I'm currently deciding on which unis to choose and QM is one of them. I'm from Singapore and QM is one of the very few approved UK unis for law to practice locally, meaning it has passed some pretty strict standards. Right now I'm confused about the hate from TSR towards it. The alumni I've met from big firms speak fondly of it and student satisfaction from surveys and even here on TSR threads are pretty great. Could you tell me why you think of QM this way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok :smile: So what are they heavy weighted on ? Also do you go there ? Oh why do you say that ? :s-smilie:
AAABBB in any order including Biology, Chemistry, English,Maths and Additional Science. For gcse it says this but i really don't get it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending