The Student Room Group

Further Maths for physics course(URGENT FOR UCAS)

I currently take physics, chem and maths. One of the unis i am applying to will be oxford and their requirement is 3 alevels, my question is i wanted to take AS further maths but im not sure because my offer will not be made on it and i would have to self study it and with the reforms im not sure what to expect for the chem and physics exams so i want to thoroughly prepare for them

Before anyone says something about you dont stand a chance without further maths, ive checked with the uni and some students there are there are students with just 3 a levels and it is not a admission requirement to have it but rather that if i DID take it i would be able to handle it, in my case i can , in fact my teacher predicted id get an A in AS further maths if i took it

The reason i want to know is because if i decide to take it id m mention it in my personal statement/ reference that im self studying further maths someone suggested that i just put it on there because even if i get a U it wouldn't affect my offer.
Can i just put it there and put in my AS further maths predicted grade and then later decide not to do it if i dont want to? would the unis care since it was never a whole a level?

My other option is to take the Advanced Extension Award exam by edexcel

Thank you for your time if you have gone through that.
PS: it's too late to take a full alevel further maths now for me at least because my school doesn't/can't help me taking classes there
If you think it will benefit you in the long run then go for it but if it's just a challenge or a fun thing to do I suggest not. You have all the time in the world to explore other interests later but please don't do so when important things are at stake such as your uni offers.
Original post by alleycat393
If you think it will benefit you in the long run then go for it but if it's just a challenge or a fun thing to do I suggest not. You have all the time in the world to explore other interests later but please don't do so when important things are at stake such as your uni offers.

the only reason i am considering it was well obviously i love maths but i'm not an idiot to take extra modules if it will affect my application
i just want to know if theres a real benefit for it like i dont know if it will make the difference me having 4 as and 3 alevels rather then 3 alevels and 3 as.

If i just put it into my statement that i am reading further maths and im predicted an A and then later if i decide not to do it after i get my offer will it matter i cut out an AS
If it's not required then you won't be given an advantage. If you're taking it you will have to declare it on your application and that may affect your offer.
If it's not required then you won't be given an advantage. If you're taking it you will have to declare it on your application and that may affect your offer.

can I just mention it on my statment and later decide not to do it if I want to ?

Or can I just mention in reference that I am predicted a but my school doesn't offer further maths so I didn't take it
Original post by NatoHeadshot
I currently take physics, chem and maths. One of the unis i am applying to will be oxford and their requirement is 3 alevels, my question is i wanted to take AS further maths but im not sure because my offer will not be made on it and i would have to self study it and with the reforms im not sure what to expect for the chem and physics exams so i want to thoroughly prepare for them

Before anyone says something about you dont stand a chance without further maths, ive checked with the uni and some students there are there are students with just 3 a levels and it is not a admission requirement to have it but rather that if i DID take it i would be able to handle it, in my case i can , in fact my teacher predicted id get an A in AS further maths if i took it

The reason i want to know is because if i decide to take it id m mention it in my personal statement/ reference that im self studying further maths someone suggested that i just put it on there because even if i get a U it wouldn't affect my offer.
Can i just put it there and put in my AS further maths predicted grade and then later decide not to do it if i dont want to? would the unis care since it was never a whole a level?

My other option is to take the Advanced Extension Award exam by edexcel

Thank you for your time if you have gone through that.
PS: it's too late to take a full alevel further maths now for me at least because my school doesn't/can't help me taking classes there

If you're serious about applying to Oxford for Physics then I definitely would recommend taking AS Further Maths this year. No, it's not a requirement but it is a highly desirable subject and most applicants will have it. I'm honestly not sure whether they would give you an offer dependent on your AS Further Maths grade, although my gut instinct is probably now. However, your UCAS application is valid only on the basis that you're going to take the exams that you've declared you're going to take, so if you did get an offer and you then decided not to take AS Further Maths, you would have to let Oxford know - and I do not think they'd be particularly impressed, given that they'd expect new students to be able to complete AS Further Maths without too much difficulty.

So my recommendation is to take AS Further Maths and stick with it.
Reply 6

That's not true, especially for courses like Physics at Oxford. There's no way doing more maths won't give someone an advantage.

It's definitely this way at Cambridge.
Original post by alow
That's not true, especially for courses like Physics at Oxford. There's no way doing more maths won't give someone an advantage.

It's definitely this way at Cambridge.

Sorry but I disagree. If math is an entry requirement that's fair enough but I don't think we're allowed to select against people who otherwise may have a strong application because they don't have a subject that we haven't asked for.
Reply 8
Sorry but I disagree. If math is an entry requirement that's fair enough but I don't think we're allowed to select against people who otherwise may have a strong application because they don't have a subject that we haven't asked for.

That's not what admissions people at Cambridge have told me.
Original post by alow
That's not what admissions people at Cambridge have told me.

Unfortunately, admissions includes loads of different people who may or may not influence or even see every application or process. Anyway, I think the OP has had some good responses in this thread already. Good luck!
Reply 10
Unfortunately, admissions includes loads of different people who may or may not influence or even see every application or process. Anyway, I think the OP has had some good responses in this thread already. Good luck!

The person who I talked to was the one who made the decision on whether to make an offer or not. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the "rules" are, getting the most qualified candidates is more important. I'm not sure if you know how Oxbridge colleges work, but there are only a handful of people involved in the admissions process for each subject.
Original post by alow
The person who I talked to was the one who made the decision on whether to make an offer or not. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the "rules" are, getting the most qualified candidates is more important. I'm not sure if you know how Oxbridge colleges work, but there are only a handful of people involved in the admissions process for each subject.

Again possibly one person at one college talking about one subject. And yes rules and fairness are very important because they provide framework for if someone wants to know more about the process or appeals. I'm very aware of how these things work from having worked in this sector for years thanks.
image.png
Hey guys this is the response Oxford gave me? So what do you guys think?

Quick Reply

Latest