The Student Room Group

Who has done better in A-level than GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs: ABBBCCCCCCC

A levels : A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and English Lit respectively
Original post by Fatimabibi_
Is it possible to pass psychology A level with a C in GCSE English?

As long as you try hard! :smile:
At GCSE I got 4A* 4A and 3 B
At Alevel I got 1A* and 2A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Subject: Geography, English Literature

GCSE Grade (For the subjects listed above): A, A

A-Level Grade (For the subjects listed above): A*, A*
Reply 84
Original post by fefssdf
lmao then teachers will be like ' you need a b in gcse to do this subject at alevel ' well done for proving them wrong . thats a great improvement !

Original post by Kaneki
Yeah they actually refused to let me do the subject at first :':wink: Said they'd have to have a talk due to the Grade C. Thanks! Still can't believe I've managed it to be honest :-)

Same. My teachers were very hesitant to let me take additional maths at GCSE becauseI had D's (in internal maths classes) in the previous years. Managed to convince them to let me take it on a trial basis after some pleading.

Going to Cambridge to study maths now.
At gcse: Maths-A*
Chemistry and Biology: A

AS levels: AAA maths biology Chem
At GCSE I got 4 A's 4 B's not good, not bad. Around average.
At A level I got AAA (Biology, Chemistry, History)

If ever there is proof attainment at GCSE doesn't indicate A level performance it is me.
I got A's in both English Lit and History at A level but B's in the same subject at GCSE level; I guess thats an improvement. I got a C in Psychology at A level as well
Original post by Zacken
Same. My teachers were very hesitant to let me take additional maths at GCSE becauseI had D's (in internal maths classes) in the previous years. Managed to convince them to let me take it on a trial basis after some pleading.

Going to Cambridge to study maths now.

Wow that is a good story with a good ending haha . Well done
I think such performance will be uncommon. Not impossible, but uncommon. Most people take A-levels in subjects at which they did well at GCSE. If you take A-levels in subjects where you got A*A*A*, you CAN'T get a better grade, even if your work improves, and it's harder to move from A to A* than it is from B to A.
Reply 90
Original post by Nick9728
GCSEs: ABBBCCCCCCC

A levels : A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and English Lit respectively

Well done, what did you get in the subjects at GCSE?
Reply 91
Original post by zayn008
GCSEs - AABBCCCCCD
AS - AAB
A-level (predicted) - A*AA

Although My AS looks better than GCSE I got an A in maths, at AS I got a B although it was like 3 UMS off thanks to statistics, really disappointed I didn't get AAA. I also didn't do too good in English Langusge and lit at GCSE, was told it was an essential skill for economics and politics due to the essay content but came out with 2 A's :smile: so I've improved my foundation skills in general too.

Did you take maths A2?
Overall at GCSE I got 2A*, 6A and 2B
At Alevel I got A*AA (and a B in AS psychology)

Subject: Biology
GCSE Grade:A
A-Level Grade: A*

Subject: Geography
GCSE grade: A
A-Level grade: A

Subject: History
GCSE grade: A
A level grade: A

I hope this helps!
Make revision notes and revision cards as you go along, and keep running over them whenever you have time
:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest