The Student Room Group

Gap year then Medicine?

Hi Ive been told to consider a gap year by my tutor as I dont have enough work experience to be confident at interviews or even get one.

Heres a breakdown:
GCSE: 1A*10A1B
AS grades BCCD (Biol Chem Phys Maths)
Aiming for 2A*A at A2.

(I flopped at AS and didnt study much especially in maths where I got a U in C1.)

So I do know a gap year is a very good option for me but im really worried of the higher expectations and stuff due to me taking a gap year.

Also how does a gap year work?
I started Yr13 In September and was going to apply by Oct15th,
but now that im taking a gap year do i still apply and say in my personal statement that i am intending to take a gap year?

Or
Do I not apply this year but next year as if I was in Yr12 Right now ?
i.e apply Oct 2017 not 2016.

thanks..
Reply 1
Goig from BCC to 2A*A is going to take a while. Work your socks off but be aware you might need to either do a further session of A-levels during your 'gap year' or may need to apply for another degree with lower grade expectations.

You need a prediction of at least AAB to get your application looked at for Medicine.
Original post by bobwibbles
Hi Ive been told to consider a gap year by my tutor as I dont have enough work experience to be confident at interviews or even get one.

Heres a breakdown:
GCSE: 1A*10A1B
AS grades BCCD (Biol Chem Phys Maths)
Aiming for 2A*A at A2.

(I flopped at AS and didnt study much especially in maths where I got a U in C1.)

So I do know a gap year is a very good option for me but im really worried of the higher expectations and stuff due to me taking a gap year.

Also how does a gap year work?
I started Yr13 In September and was going to apply by Oct15th,
but now that im taking a gap year do i still apply and say in my personal statement that i am intending to take a gap year?

Or
Do I not apply this year but next year as if I was in Yr12 Right now ?
i.e apply Oct 2017 not 2016.

thanks..

Hey, I don't think med schools take gap years favourably unless you keep up with your studies - it's probably better to call up each uni you want to apply to before making your application.

Have you considered Graduate Entry Medicine? You could take a degree in pretty much anything (within reason) and reapply as a graduate. This will also give you more of a chance to gain work experience (waiting lists to undertake WE at a hospital can often be a year long depending on where you live). However, this will cost you more so you have to bear that in mind.
Reply 3
Original post by Mimir
Goig from BCC to 2A*A is going to take a while. Work your socks off but be aware you might need to either do a further session of A-levels during your 'gap year' or may need to apply for another degree with lower grade expectations.

You need a prediction of at least AAB to get your application looked at for Medicine.

im applying to Newcastles Partners programme so I need ABB for Medicine.
And Im going to hassle teachers for AAA or AAB predictions.
My gcses will help with that also.
Its just is a gap year a good choice I definitely need to get more work xp tho.
Reply 4
Original post by Ninjasrule
Hey, I don't think med schools take gap years favourably unless you keep up with your studies - it's probably better to call up each uni you want to apply to before making your application.

Have you considered Graduate Entry Medicine? You could take a degree in pretty much anything (within reason) and reapply as a graduate. This will also give you more of a chance to gain work experience (waiting lists to undertake WE at a hospital can often be a year long depending on where you live). However, this will cost you more so you have to bear that in mind.

Graduate entry is way too hard!! Higher UKCAT thresholds have to get atleast 2:1 in a good degree like BioMed or something else.
Have to sit the GAMSAT and UKCAT and even BMAT !! depending on choices...
No way am i thinking of Graduate Entry never. Too much work. Too expensive also! Going to UNI twice basically !!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Graduate entry is way too hard!! Higher UKCAT thresholds have to get atleast 2:1 in a good degree like BioMed or something else.
Have to sit the GAMSAT and UKCAT and even BMAT !! depending on choices...
No way am i thinking of Graduate Entry never. Too much work. Too expensive also! Going to UNI twice basically !!

Yes, I am fully aware of that, having completed an intercalated Medicine degree.

You can avoid the difficulty of doing the Graduate Medicine by applying from square one again having completed your BSc or qualifying degree. But that may again rely on A Level results.
im applying to Newcastles Partners programme so I need ABB for Medicine.
And Im going to hassle teachers for AAA or AAB predictions.
My gcses will help with that also.
Its just is a gap year a good choice I definitely need to get more work xp tho.

hi there,

This year really focus on trying to get three A grades.

Then take a gap year and try and get as much work experience as possible. Work experience is so important for medical school applications. Try the NHS jobs site, as you could find an HCA role for most of your gap year.

After a gap year, you'll have lots of experience under your belt, and hopefully some great A level grades! If you don't manage to get the desired A level grades, then you could always do resits.

Here is a list of all the universities and their resit admissions policies.

Good luck with it all :smile:

The Medic Portal
Reply 7
Original post by Mimir
Yes, I am fully aware of that, having completed an intercalated Medicine degree.

You can avoid the difficulty of doing the Graduate Medicine by applying from square one again having completed your BSc or qualifying degree. But that may again rely on A Level results.

What do you mean square one again? Like instead of graduate entry i go for normal entry? after getting a degree? Im confused sorry..
Reply 8
Original post by The Medic Portal
hi there,

This year really focus on trying to get three A grades.

Then take a gap year and try and get as much work experience as possible. Work experience is so important for medical school applications. Try the NHS jobs site, as you could find an HCA role for most of your gap year.

After a gap year, you'll have lots of experience under your belt, and hopefully some great A level grades! If you don't manage to get the desired A level grades, then you could always do resits.

Here is a list of all the universities and their resit admissions policies.

Good luck with it all :smile:

The Medic Portal

Thank you so much!! Do you have a list of schools that dislike or dont allow gap years? or do most med schools allow it?
Thank you so much!! Do you have a list of schools that dislike or dont allow gap years? or do most med schools allow it?

All allow it!
Reply 10
What do you mean square one again? Like instead of graduate entry i go for normal entry? after getting a degree? Im confused sorry..

Bingo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending