The Student Room Group

Law Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

hi guys! Im thinking of oxford UCL LSE kings nottingham and bristol, predicted A*AA in bio english lit and maths. is this realistic? GCSEs were A*s and As
Original post by nofutureplans
hi guys! Im thinking of oxford UCL LSE kings nottingham and bristol, predicted A*AA in bio english lit and maths. is this realistic? GCSEs were A*s and As

ofcourse, however since they all ask for A*'s, i would suggest you have at least one back up. good luck!
Original post by *Stefan*
He is right - you can apply to other unis at a later point (as you say, which isn't 'wrong':wink:.

Many people just want to ensure their other choices are safe depending on the outcome of their Oxbridge application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Stefan. Im thinking of doing a masters degree in Europe. Since you're from Greece but in the UK temporarily till you finish your degree at Birmingham uni before you return to your homeland to seek work, can you share on which unis in Greece have good law schools, if any?

Original post by rebeccabyrne91
I'm a law hopeful :biggrin: (certainly made my mind up!) Currently doing an Access to Higher Education course to Legal Studies which covers Law, Criminology, and Sociology. Looking at applying to UCLAN, and Lancaster uni (Blackburn campus) :smile:

You won't have any problems doing well for an Access Course. Its a much easier alternative than the A-levels to gain a place at uni. I know 6 people who did an Access course in Law and went to Oxbridge.

Original post by OddFuturez
When's the last day for lnat

January 15, 2017
http://www.lnat.ac.uk/registration/dates-and-deadlines/
Original post by Audrey18
Hi Stefan. Im thinking of doing a masters degree in Europe. Since you're from Greece but in the UK temporarily till you finish your degree at Birmingham uni before you return to your homeland to seek work, can you share on which unis in Greece have good law schools, if any?

Oh, it's you again...

The best Greek unis for law are Aristotle Uni of Thessaloniki and the Uni of Athens (for short). While the lecturers are top chain academics, the funding problems and the size of the universities really put a strain on the education they provide. I would suggest looking elsewhere in Europe, making sure you follow the direction you want (i.e. civil v common law).

(PS: I'm not at Birmingham, and for the 100th time I am not sure if I will be returning - no one is)
Oh, it's you again...

The best Greek unis for law are Aristotle Uni of Thessaloniki and the Uni of Athens (for short). While the lecturers are top chain academics, the funding problems and the size of the universities really put a strain on the education they provide. I would suggest looking elsewhere in Europe, making sure you follow the direction you want (i.e. civil v common law).

(PS: I'm not at Birmingham, and for the 100th time I am not sure if I will be returning - no one is)

So you changed your mind about returning back to your home country Greece? Why? How are you supporting yourself in UK? Are you on a study loan? Who offered it to you? The British government courtesy of the British taxpayer? Any plans of paying it back?

How's Bristol? Is it a fun school? Does the library have ample space? Or is it very run down?
So you changed your mind about returning back to your home country Greece? Why? How are you supporting yourself in UK? Are you on a study loan? Who offered it to you? The British government courtesy of the British taxpayer? Any plans of paying it back?

How's Bristol? Is it a fun school? Does the library have ample space? Or is it very run down?

Yawn.

The whole thing about returning to Greece is your own facade. I knew it from the beginning you insisting on it was due to xenophobic criteria.

Don't worry - I'm not spilling any pound courtesy of the British taxpayer. If anything, I'm contributing much more than some other people *cough*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't have any problems doing well for an Access Course. Its a much easier alternative than the A-levels to gain a place at uni. I know 6 people who did an Access course in Law and went to Oxbridge.

It is not 'much easier' than A Levels, it is the same content, but crammed into one years study with coursework / assignments as well as exams, a pass on this course is very highly regarded by the universities, a distinction grade on this course is regarded as truly outstanding. If a person was to just 'pass' his / hers A levels, they will have a stressful time trying to get onto a university course, either through Clearing or entering at foundation level, it is not the same for getting a pass on an access course, and that for me personally speaks volumes.
Yawn.

The whole thing about returning to Greece is your own facade. I knew it from the beginning you insisting on it was due to xenophobic criteria.

Don't worry - I'm not spilling any pound courtesy of the British taxpayer. If anything, I'm contributing much more than some other people *cough*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How's Bristol? Is it a fun school? Does the library have ample space? Or is it very run down? How are the lecturers? Are they good?

Could you please also share how you manage to finance your studies at Bristol and living expenses in UK given that there are hundreds of other EU students on this forum who're financially very poor but like you, also want to study at a British uni and eventually settle down permanently in UK. Everyone wants a better life and given how the EU is right now, UK seems a far better bet cos one can claim a wide range of benefits from Day 1 the moment they enter UK.
How's Bristol? Is it a fun school? Does the library have ample space? Or is it very run down? How are the lecturers? Are they good?

Could you please also share how you manage to finance your studies at Bristol and living expenses in UK given that there are hundreds of other EU students on this forum who're financially very poor but like you, also want to study at a British uni and eventually settle down permanently in UK. Everyone wants a better life and given how the EU is right now, UK seems a far better bet cos one can claim a wide range of benefits from Day 1 the moment they enter UK.

It's really none of your business how someone else is financing their studies. Fyi, it's far better that we have educated people with degrees living in the UK than those without, don't you think? I'd also like to point out that most people come here to work and thus contribute money to the economy, not take from it.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Buuumppp

Anyone applied/thinking of applying to the UNIQ summer school for Law?

I hate myself for not knowing about this! I am in grade 12 now and applying in a month </3

I went to Oxford Royale Academy Pre-Law.
Original post by academia153
I have only done one work experience at my local magistrate's court, but I hope to do more in the summer. I do debating (and will be participating in the Cambridge Union Schools' Debating Competition), but sadly I am ineligible for UNIQ as I now go to a private school...

I Iive in the Middle East and found no opportunities to do any work experience. Especially since the IB curriculum, unlike the GCSE/ A levels, does not incorporate work related experience within the academic year.

It does suck that UNIQ is only for state schools. Perhaps do some reading into law independently.
When it comes to the UK, there will always be loopholes in the system. An existing example of a loophole would be migrants making their way to Portugal so that they can get a portuguese passport and then enter the UK. UK is the only country in the world where you can claim benefits from Day 1 without having to put anything into the British system.

Since Stefan is from Greece I'm curious as to how he's able to support himself in the UK. I have other friends from poorer EU countries and they too want to come to the UK to study and live permanently after graduation. Is it wrong for me to ask Stefan what his secret is?

Also my friends want to apply to Bristol so it would be nice if Stefan could reply about Bristol.

You have mixed wrong political views with university. Students are not entitled to any 'benefits' in the UK. Researching does wonders you know.

And we both know it's not about any friends. You no doubt regurgitate your media's crap thinking everyone but Germany is crap.

But, to answer your question so I can be done with it at once, the answer is obviously parents. If your 'friends' parents can support them living in the UK, then they should come. If not, they shouldn't.

Got it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have mixed wrong political views with university. Students are not entitled to any 'benefits' in the UK. Researching does wonders you know.

And we both know it's not about any friends. You no doubt regurgitate your media's crap thinking everyone but Germany is crap.

But, to answer your question so I can be done with it at once, the answer is obviously parents. If your 'friends' parents can support them living in the UK, then they should come. If not, they shouldn't.

Got it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do have some friends that want to return back to their home countries once they graduate with a degree from a British uni. However they're afraid that they might change their mind. Can I ask? You came to the UK from Greece and I recall that you often told us that you had the mindset that upon graduation you would return back home to try to fix the financial and political ruin that has plagued Greece.

But after you had set foot on UK soil you then changed your mind. What changed your mind about returning home and trying to make a change to Greece? What is so fascinating about the UK? Is it the welfare benefits that one can claim later on? Is it the free medical service? Your views will greatly assist my friends and many others here from EU countries who want to seek a better life for themselves in the UK, just like how you want to.

How's Bristol's library? Does it have an extensive collection and are there condusive study areas? Why were you rejected from Kings, LSE and Durham? Is it true that nobody on TSR considers your opinion valid unless you're from the top UK unis? If so what motivates you to chirp in every time there is an unanswered question in a thread?
I do have some friends that want to return back to their home countries once they graduate with a degree from a British uni. However they're afraid that they might change their mind. Can I ask? You came to the UK from Greece and I recall that you often told us that you had the mindset that upon graduation you would return back home to try to fix the financial and political ruin that has plagued Greece.

But after you had set foot on UK soil you then changed your mind. What changed your mind about returning home and trying to make a change to Greece? What is so fascinating about the UK? Is it the welfare benefits that one can claim later on? Is it the free medical service? Your views will greatly assist my friends and many others here from EU countries who want to seek a better life for themselves in the UK, just like how you want to.

How's Bristol's library? Does it have an extensive collection and are there condusive study areas? Why were you rejected from Kings, LSE and Durham? Is it true that nobody on TSR considers your opinion valid unless you're from the top UK unis? If so what motivates you to chirp in every time there is an unanswered question in a thread?

Can your patronising annoying posts just shut up now?

You're being incredibly rude to this guy, and no one is falling for your ******** that it's all about 'so everyone can understand'

Just pipe down ok?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im also considering to study law. Im in year 12 and im studying english lit, politics ane business studies. (Im studyint 3as) is that ok?

Hahaha... you're possibly the most toxic person I've ever met!

I never said I wanted 100% to return to Greece - once again, that is your own facade, repeating it endlessly until you yourself believe it. Now, to make myself absolutely clear again, I never said I definitely will return to Greece. I'm not sure how else I can make this clear - if you still don't get it, it would be prudent to check your comprehension skills.

No, nothing of that. My 'views' would help your friends if you actually read what I'm writing instead of repeating the same questions a thousand times.

Yes, Bristol has both an extensive collection of books and conducive areas of study. I was not rejected by KCL, Durham and LSE - I got offers from all three, but 'missed' the offer from LSE because of an equivalency error. Before you moan about it, my KCL and Durham offers were technically unconditional.

Bristol, whether you like it or not, is a top university. Now, considering you have not even gone to university yet, and most of your advice here is either wrong or fictional, I'd strongly suggest asking yourself that question.

This is my last reply from me to you, as I will be welcoming you to my ignore list.

So, adios.
Hahaha... you're possibly the most toxic person I've ever met!

I never said I wanted 100% to return to Greece - once again, that is your own facade, repeating it endlessly until you yourself believe it. Now, to make myself absolutely clear again, I never said I definitely will return to Greece. I'm not sure how else I can make this clear - if you still don't get it, it would be prudent to check your comprehension skills.

No, nothing of that. My 'views' would help your friends if you actually read what I'm writing instead of repeating the same questions a thousand times.

Yes, Bristol has both an extensive collection of books and conducive areas of study. I was not rejected by KCL, Durham and LSE - I got offers from all three, but 'missed' the offer from LSE because of an equivalency error. Before you moan about it, my KCL and Durham offers were technically unconditional.

Bristol, whether you like it or not, is a top university. Now, considering you have not even gone to university yet, and most of your advice here is either wrong or fictional, I'd strongly suggest asking yourself that question.

This is my last reply from me to you, as I will be welcoming you to my ignore list.

So, adios.

Is that user a troll or something?
Original post by danahbanana
I hate myself for not knowing about this! I am in grade 12 now and applying in a month </3

I went to Oxford Royale Academy Pre-Law.

Were you at Oxford this summer? I saw lots of Royale kids while at UNIQ haha
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Is that user a troll or something?

Most definitely... or a stalker. S/he has been asking me these questions from time to time for a year now. Not even exaggerating.
Do the universities look at predicted grades or the AS's that do not count anymore?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending