The Student Room Group

Masters or PGCE?

So I finished uni in March (had to resit a module) and got a 2:2 in BA (hons) Education. I'm now looking to do a postgraduate but I am unable to decide if I should do my PGCE first or my Masters first?

Edit: For masters I was looking at Holland where fees are £1500 a year for Master Students from the EU/EEA (triggering article 50 may change that).

Any help will be appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump?
Original post by Just93
So I finished uni in March (had to resit a module) and got a 2:2 in BA (hons) Education. I'm now looking to do a postgraduate but I am unable to decide if I should do my PGCE first or my Masters first?

Edit: For masters I was looking at Holland where fees are £1500 a year for Master Students from the EU/EEA (triggering article 50 may change that).

Any help will be appreciated.

Insufficient information - what do you hope to do with either of these qualifications?
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Insufficient information - what do you hope to do with either of these qualifications?

Hi, With a PGCE I hope to become a fully qualified secondary school RE teacher and with a masters I hope to get more in depth subject knowledge as well as improve my chances of getting a good paying job abroad.
Original post by Just93
Hi, With a PGCE I hope to become a fully qualified secondary school RE teacher and with a masters I hope to get more in depth subject knowledge as well as improve my chances of getting a good paying job abroad.

Yes, but they are two incompatible paths. Which do you want to do?
Reply 5
You need a PGCE in order to teach at secondary level in the UK, but you don't need a Masters. If your ultimate goal is secondary teaching in the UK, in your current position you should prioritise the PGCE over the Masters. Depending on the country where you settle, you may need a Masters as well as a PGCE, so that would be the next step after the PGCE.

Don't consider a Masters unless you are certain that it will give you an advantage - make your research as specific as possible. Don't assume that a Masters will automatically give you an edge at seondary level. A friend of mine was teaching at secondary level abroad, but came back to do a Masters so he could move up to uni-level teaching. He could easily have carried on at secondary level without it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending