The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BobBobson
Grades 7, 8, 9 are in the A-A* range. 6 is a High B, 5 is a Low B / High C. 4 is a Low C. 3 is a D, 2 is an E and a 1 is an F or G. A 5 is now what is considered a "good" pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK thanks!:smile:
Original post by _gcx
2 is roughly equivalent to an E (with 1 being roughly equivalent to an F/G), and 6 is roughly equivalent to a B.

Thanks!:smile:
Original post by patriciaanne
Biology, Maths and Chemistry

Cool! Maybe when it comes to A-levels, we could help each other or something? :smile:

Original post by _gcx
I've never heard of needing a personal statement for applying to a sixth form.

I didn't think we needed to either but I do, anlong with everyone else who wants to go to the same 6th form as me

Original post by Simonexoxo
I literally have no skills when it comes to Microsoft so I wasn't too sure how hard it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

You''l learn it all when you do it- it's relatively easy, and you can use the help button in the exam to help you
I feel like everyone on TSR likes maths and sciences, at A level I want to do history, french, maths and either politics or economics. My dream degree would be PPE but I also want to be a lawyer so....

Also, does anyone know any really good sixth forms in South east London, like Harris Westminister and LAE etc..
I will have to pick my A-Level choices by Christmas (altho we can change them later!)... Does anyone else have no clue what they're going to pick?? Or is it just me lol
Original post by RuWill2001
I will have to pick my A-Level choices by Christmas (altho we can change them later!)... Does anyone else have no clue what they're going to pick?? Or is it just me lol

I would start with questions along the lines of this:

What are you planning on doing in the future career-wise?

What are your interests?

What do you feel that you could do well in?

Original post by pinkypaz123
Cool! Maybe when it comes to A-levels, we could help each other or something? :

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I would start with questions along the lines of this:

What are you planning on doing in the future career-wise?

What are your interests?

What do you feel that you could do well in?

That is what we're doing in school atm. The problem is I do not know what I want to do in the future. Defo go to uni, but I do not know what to study! Probably sometime to do with science or maths, but I don't really know.

I am interested in politics, football (pretty much all sport) and History.
Original post by RuWill2001
That is what we're doing in school atm. The problem is I do not know what I want to do in the future. Defo go to uni, but I do not know what to study! Probably sometime to do with science or maths, but I don't really know.

I am interested in politics, football (pretty much all sport) and History.

What I did with my GCSE choices and what I plan to do with A Level is write down all the choices that you can possible take at your sixth form and cross them off, one by one when you know you won't want to take it. Keep that list always with you. The first few would be easy, but then it gets harder. Keep thinking in your mind what the next one should be that you cross off. Sometimes it may take days before you decide which one to cross off. After a while, you'd be left with 3/4/5. I find that method easier than suddenly having to pick 4 A Levels.
Reply 809
Original post by francesco_16
I am doing them both this year! I've just started the course in year 11. How was the unit 1 paper??

I found the unit 1 papers quite easy in all the practice and mocks etc. But I felt the paper we sat for the exam was absolutely dreadful! I still got an a though somehow! We had the whole of year 10 to do unit 1 and we started unit 2 and then we have the whole of this year to do unit 2 so it's quite chilled
Hi everyone, hope it's not too late to introduce myself!

My GCSEs are:

Spoiler

I'm slightly suspicious of myself in that I'm not yet terrified for the exams. The calm before the storm perhaps?

For A level, I'm thinking of taking French, History, Maths and English Lit. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do at degree level- until a few months ago I didn't even know whether I wanted to do the sciences or humanities! I've narrowed down slightly, and I think I might do something to do with either history or languages or both.

Looking forward to getting involved in the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you guys revise poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you guys revise poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment, I'm just making notes and doing practice of exam questions, which seems to be working quite well.
I find the best way for me to revise poetry is to go through the poems, read your annotations and try to make them as detailed as possible, making sure you understand the methods used, the context of the poem, the effects on the audience etc. If you go through the poem almost line by line doing this, thinking of all possible interpretations of them and how they link to the bigger picture of the poem (to themes like love, conflict power etc.), then you should hopefully have a good understanding of the poem and be able to write about it from any angle the examiner may throw at you. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody here study WJEC Maths? My year group is the first ever to have the new spec; we have a Double Award which means we get GCSEs in Numeracy and Maths. I've also got a brand new spec for WJEC English Language & Literature. I'm just wondering if anybody here is in the same position as I am. I've yet to find someone who's doing the Double Award thing in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LEuphoria
I find the best way for me to revise poetry is to go through the poems, read your annotations and try to make them as detailed as possible, making sure you understand the methods used, the context of the poem, the effects on the audience etc. If you go through the poem almost line by line doing this, thinking of all possible interpretations of them and how they link to the bigger picture of the poem (to themes like love, conflict power etc.), then you should hopefully have a good understanding of the poem and be able to write about it from any angle the examiner may throw at you. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you structure your response when comparing two poems?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you structure your response when comparing two poems?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People have different opinions on how to structure these things. I would normally pick out the theme you want to address on both poems, analyse the evidence you've given for both in isolation, and then to finish the paragraph, talk about how their presentations of the themes differ or agree with each other. So if you're thinking about structure in terms of school jargon, it would be Point, Evidence, Analysis, Comparison. Hope this helps! If you need anything else, let me know.
Reply 817
Original post by sunshine774
What grade is a 2+ and a 6?:smile: I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...

a 2 is a E and a 6 is a B
Original post by LEuphoria
Hi everyone, hope it's not too late to introduce myself!

My GCSEs are:

Spoiler

I'm slightly suspicious of myself in that I'm not yet terrified for the exams. The calm before the storm perhaps?

For A level, I'm thinking of taking French, History, Maths and English Lit. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do at degree level- until a few months ago I didn't even know whether I wanted to do the sciences or humanities! I've narrowed down slightly, and I think I might do something to do with either history or languages or both.

Looking forward to getting involved in the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have nearly the same A level choices but I want to do politics or economics in place of your english lit. I was thinking about taking it but I decided that just because im good at it, i dont like it so its risky.
Your A levels are a good combo for law, have you ever considered it???
I am quite calm also but I feel its weird to be stressed so early on.
Good luck in your gcse's, I'm sure you'll smash em!!
Original post by yaanii12
We have nearly the same A level choices but I want to do politics or economics in place of your english lit. I was thinking about taking it but I decided that just because im good at it, i dont like it so its risky.
Your A levels are a good combo for law, have you ever considered it???
I am quite calm also but I feel its weird to be stressed so early on.
Good luck in your gcse's, I'm sure you'll smash em!!

Oh that's cool! English Lit is definitely the subject I'm most iffy about - I'm like you at the moment. It's one of my better subjects, but I don't enjoy it that much. I was toying with the idea of doing something like physics to go with the maths, but my priority is to do what I'm best at, and I'm confident that I could get a good grade in English. I would love to do German, but my school doesn't do the qualification at GCSE or A Level.

I have considered law- that's what I set out do with my GCSEs in the first place! However, I did a week of work experience at a law firm this summer, and I found all the detailed, day-to-day stuff horrendously boring, although the commercial law was quite interesting. It's a subject I can't really get excited by, and I want to do something I really enjoy at degree level (but hopefully still get a career with?!). Is law something you're considering?

Yeah, I suppose they are still a long way away. Thanks, a good luck with yours too! You'll be fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest