The Student Room Group

Oxford medicine applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lainathiel
Apply to Worcester :wink:

I might just, it seems like such a great place... Decisions are hard lol :hmmmm2:

Btw congratulations on your offer, it must be super exciting for you right now!! How did your BMAT go, and on a scale from 1 to 10, how overwhelming did you find the interview experience and how well did you feel your interviews went?

It would be fantastic if, when term starts, you could update us outsiders on what happens and how you're adjusting to Oxford etc. Obviously don't take any extra pressure from this but if you manage to find the time it would be really interesting!
Original post by Zedna
Hi, congrats! Are you going to Worcester? I haven't really seen many of the colleges but Worcester looks really nice in pictures, what's it like? Is the accommodation nice?
Also what was the interview like? Were the interviewers scary? I've heard they ask quite a few Physicsy questions but I haven't done physics since GCSE and I hated it with a passion :redface:

Sorry for all the questions!!

Yep, I am going to Worcester! I can't really answer about the accommodation other than the room I stayed in at my interview was quite nice; the rooms vary from really old to really modern though, so I imagine they are all rather different inside! I gathered that pretty much everyone applied to that college because of the beautiful grounds: there's a huge lake and sports pitches, and there's a really nice, chilled atmosphere around the place which everyone loved. I didn't visit beforehand, only during my interview, but I'm very happy I applied there!

I wasn't told explicitly not to (my friends applying to Cambridge for medicine were) but I feel kind of uncomfortable saying what the questions were, but I personally quite enjoyed the interviews (I had 4 in total, 2 at Worcester and 2 at another college). I can probably say that there was no physics as far as I can remember, only biology and chemistry; if you did, however, take physics as an option I'm sure they'd find some physics questions to throw in there or you could steer the conversation in that direction, I'm not sure. As I didn't/don't study physics at A-Level it would be pretty silly of them to expect me to know it, so don't worry about that! ^_^
Original post by StationToStation
I might just, it seems like such a great place... Decisions are hard lol :hmmmm2:

Btw congratulations on your offer, it must be super exciting for you right now!! How did your BMAT go, and on a scale from 1 to 10, how overwhelming did you find the interview experience and how well did you feel your interviews went?

It would be fantastic if, when term starts, you could update us outsiders on what happens and how you're adjusting to Oxford etc. Obviously don't take any extra pressure from this but if you manage to find the time it would be really interesting!

Applyyyyyyyyyy! :shades: In all honesty, it doesn't matter: if they do the medicine interviews the same every year, then you will be interviewed at another college in addition to the one you applied for. In our cohort at least, I gathered that this varied for other subjects: one friend applying for compsci only was interviewed at his original college of application, but a biochemist had interviews at three other colleges. What I mean by this is that you'll definitely have a different panel interviewing you also and which you may be accepted by, so there really isn't a huge point to stressing about your original pick. All the students I met at my interviews said everyone loves their final college anyway. ^_^

Thank you so much! I still haven't really recovered from getting my offer in January, let alone actually meeting it! I keep trying to encourage myself to buy all the stuff I need, but I haven't fully clocked that I'm going in a month, haha.

Aha, the BMAT. I originally was most nervous for the UKCAT and relatively chilled about the BMAT: in the end though, I only applied to one UKCAT uni so was nice and chilled in the computer room, meaning I ended up with a score much higher than I was expecting (740 with 880 in the maths ahahahahahahahahahahahow). I was really stressed about the BMAT in Nov - the thing with this test is that the questions aren't really that difficult, it's just the timings that I found impossible: my dad and I had great fun doing the logic puzzles from S1, but in the test I was so short on time! I ended up getting 4.9/5.7/5A which I wasn't that happy with but looking at the stats released I was on or to the right of the normal distribution curve, which the person I know who works at Oxford said is all you really need, so don't stress about getting 7s or whatever. :smile:

I actually really liked the interviews - I'm sorry I don't have any horror stories! One of the reasons I wanted to go to Oxford was because of the tutorial teaching, so I liked basically just having a chat with the professors about various science-y questions! The first interview at Worcester was a bit daunting and not as friendly, but the others were fine and I ended up talking to them about their areas of research and stuff, it was nice. :smile: The interviews would be much more overwhelming if everyone was super nervous though: I remember sitting in the JCR at both colleges surrounded by people reading/trying to absorb by osmosis random A-Level notes, which I do not recommend in the slightest. I adopted the role of chief Articulate-r and annoyed everyone by making them put down their notes and play, haha. :smile:

I'd love to keep you updated, definitely! I got lots of help on here from other users when I was applying, so I'm more than happy to return the favour. ^_^
Original post by rugose
A space to dream , share, encourage, learn, celebrate and commiserate.

Teacher and parent here of daughter applying to Oxford. + Imperial, Bristol, UCL ( I know risks of 3 BMAT) Hoping to start in Sept 2017.

GCSE 12 A* - Grammar School. Taken in year 10.
A levels chem, biol, physics & Engl lang
UKCAT 710 - BMAT - Not taken yet.
W. Experience - 2 x 1 week at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
1x week at Royal Free London
1 year weekly help to lady with MS
1x week with Optometrist
3 months of weekly help at care home.

Hopes - to study Medicine at Oxford or one of the above, ideally old college - Magdalen or Merton
Fears- BMAT. How will we feel if we cannot get in

Unknowns - why Oxford over any other University? other than sounding superficial. Love the traditional course over intercalated or pbl/ cbl aspect plus the tutorial system.

Hi, I just got my place confirmed last week and for me it was the fact that Oxford has had the highest student satisfaction for medicine 9 years running (currently standing at 99% up from 98% last year!). Any other questions just ask!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by MedicOllie11
Hi, I just got my place confirmed last week and for me it was the fact that Oxford has had the highest student satisfaction for medicine 9 years running (currently standing at 99% up from 98% last year!). Any other questions just ask!

Hi, well done on getting your place! Which college are you going to and why did you choose it? (Or if you didn't choose it what's good about where you're going :biggrin:)
How difficult did you find the application process and did you think there was a good chance you'd get in or was it a shock?
Original post by Lainathiel
Applyyyyyyyyyy! :shades: In all honesty, it doesn't matter: if they do the medicine interviews the same every year, then you will be interviewed at another college in addition to the one you applied for. In our cohort at least, I gathered that this varied for other subjects: one friend applying for compsci only was interviewed at his original college of application, but a biochemist had interviews at three other colleges. What I mean by this is that you'll definitely have a different panel interviewing you also and which you may be accepted by, so there really isn't a huge point to stressing about your original pick. All the students I met at my interviews said everyone loves their final college anyway. ^_^

Thank you so much! I still haven't really recovered from getting my offer in January, let alone actually meeting it! I keep trying to encourage myself to buy all the stuff I need, but I haven't fully clocked that I'm going in a month, haha.

Aha, the BMAT. I originally was most nervous for the UKCAT and relatively chilled about the BMAT: in the end though, I only applied to one UKCAT uni so was nice and chilled in the computer room, meaning I ended up with a score much higher than I was expecting (740 with 880 in the maths ahahahahahahahahahahahow). I was really stressed about the BMAT in Nov - the thing with this test is that the questions aren't really that difficult, it's just the timings that I found impossible: my dad and I had great fun doing the logic puzzles from S1, but in the test I was so short on time! I ended up getting 4.9/5.7/5A which I wasn't that happy with but looking at the stats released I was on or to the right of the normal distribution curve, which the person I know who works at Oxford said is all you really need, so don't stress about getting 7s or whatever. :smile:

I actually really liked the interviews - I'm sorry I don't have any horror stories! One of the reasons I wanted to go to Oxford was because of the tutorial teaching, so I liked basically just having a chat with the professors about various science-y questions! The first interview at Worcester was a bit daunting and not as friendly, but the others were fine and I ended up talking to them about their areas of research and stuff, it was nice. :smile: The interviews would be much more overwhelming if everyone was super nervous though: I remember sitting in the JCR at both colleges surrounded by people reading/trying to absorb by osmosis random A-Level notes, which I do not recommend in the slightest. I adopted the role of chief Articulate-r and annoyed everyone by making them put down their notes and play, haha. :smile:

I'd love to keep you updated, definitely! I got lots of help on here from other users when I was applying, so I'm more than happy to return the favour. ^_^

Thanks so much for the reply!!! Omg "ahahahahahahahahahahahow" was literally my reaction to my QR score too. I hope you have an amazing time at Oxford :tongue:
I don't see how Eng. Lang. is going to help instead of Maths :/
Reply 27
Original post by rugose

Teacher and parent here of daughter applying to Oxford. + Imperial, Bristol, UCL ( I know risks of 3 BMAT) Hoping to start in Sept 2017.

1x week with Optometrist

Hopes - to study Medicine at Oxford or one of the above, ideally old college - Magdalen or Merton
Fears- BMAT. How will we feel if we cannot get in.

Unknowns - why Oxford over any other University? other than sounding superficial. Love the traditional course over intercalated or pbl/ cbl aspect plus the tutorial system.

Weirdly similar:
Also got 12A* (not early but missed a year of school), AS biology, chemistry, physics and Eng Lang. Applying to Oxford, Imperial, Exeter and Birmingham and also had work experience in Exeter!!!
Reply 28
Original post by RowerEls
Weirdly similar:
Also got 12A* (not early but missed a year of school), AS biology, chemistry, physics and Eng Lang. Applying to Oxford, Imperial, Exeter and Birmingham and also had work experience in Exeter!!!

Tremendous! You don't play County Cricket too do you😉

Applying to UCL, Imperial, Bristol and Oxford ( Merton)

Good luck with the process.
Original post by rugose
Tremendous! You don't play County Cricket too do you😉

Applying to UCL, Imperial, Bristol and Oxford ( Merton)

Good luck with the process.

Three BMAT unis? Someone likes to take risks!

One of if not the biggest gamble of your life. Let's hope it pays off.
Reply 30
Could you please let us know your GCSE grades, many thanks.

[QUOTE=Lainathiel;67224714]Applyyyyyyyyyy! :shades: In all honesty, it doesn't matter: if they do the medicine interviews the same every year, then you will be interviewed at another college in addition to the one you applied for. In our cohort at least, I gathered that this varied for other subjects: one friend applying for compsci only was interviewed at his original college of application, but a biochemist had interviews at three other colleges. What I mean by this is that you'll definitely have a different panel interviewing you also and which you may be accepted by, so there really isn't a huge point to stressing about your original pick. All the students I met at my interviews said everyone loves their final college anyway. ^_^

[QUOTE=Lainathiel;67224714]Applyyyyyyyyyy! :shades: In all honesty, it doesn't matter: if they do the medicine interviews the same every year, then you will be interviewed at another college in addition to the one you applied for. In our cohort at least, I gathered that this varied for other subjects: one friend applying for compsci only was interviewed at his original college of application, but a biochemist had interviews at three other colleges. What I mean by this is that you'll definitely have a different panel interviewing you also and which you may be accepted by, so there really isn't a huge point to stressing about your original pick. All the students I met at my interviews said everyone loves their final college anyway. ^_^

Reply 31
Just applied through UCAS. What colleges are people planning to put down and why?
Reply 32
Original post by MadsonK
Just applied through UCAS. What colleges are people planning to put down and why?

I've applied to Worcester just because the grounds and lake look really pretty and also that there's a lot of ensuites :redface:
Wasn't a particularly informed decision but most people say they learn to love their college. What about you?
Reply 33
That's nice
I applied to Jesus because of the relatively new accommodation block (I believe 6 years old) and its relative proximity to the Medical Sciences department (can't be asked to trek far every day:tongue:)
Reply 34
I've applied to Univ, it was super welcoming and friendly when I went to the open day in June and the new accommodation was really nice. Also it wasn't too far away from the high street and the medical building. :smile:
Original post by nexttime
You've already deferred? I wouldn't have personally. What do you think you will gain by going to a "higher" uni?!

But to answer your question: I think it will depend on your BMAT. Normally those GCSEs would rule you out but since you're post-A-level (and with good grades even by Oxford standard) may make up for it. The BMAT is their universal decider, so that will determine whether you get an interview, and the interview will be vital too thereafter.

You could e-mail them if you.

Do you think I stand a chance with GCSEs of 9A*s 1 A
A2 predictions are A* A* A
BMAT: gonna aim for the stars man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift
Do you think I stand a chance with GCSEs of 9A*s 1 A
A2 predictions are A* A* A
BMAT: gonna aim for the stars man

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 37
Original post by rugose

1x week with Optometrist

Fears- BMAT. How will we feel if we cannot get in.

Hi guys,
Do you think it was worth it applying to Oxford for medicine with these stats?
GCSEs: 7A* 3A
AS: AAAA
A2 Predicted: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
Work Experience: Volunteering at local care home over summer, 2 weeks international work experience in Poland.
UKCAT (pretty irrelevant but here it is anyway): 700
BMAT: In past papers I've been getting around 6.0, and the essays are alright I guess...
Personal Statement isn't too bad

I've already sent my application off, and I've applied to Exeter College, I think it's quite a nice and civilised college near the centre. I heard people who apply for Oxford medicine get around 10-11A*s, so I know I'm already at a disadvantage. What sort of BMAT score should I be aiming for if I want at least an interview?

Just need a bit of hope that I have at least a chance that's all...
Original post by Doooo
Hi guys,
Do you think it was worth it applying to Oxford for medicine with these stats?
GCSEs: 7A* 3A
AS: AAAA
A2 Predicted: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
Work Experience: Volunteering at local care home over summer, 2 weeks international work experience in Poland.
UKCAT (pretty irrelevant but here it is anyway): 700
BMAT: In past papers I've been getting around 6.0, and the essays are alright I guess...
Personal Statement isn't too bad

I've already sent my application off, and I've applied to Exeter College, I think it's quite a nice and civilised college near the centre. I heard people who apply for Oxford medicine get around 10-11A*s, so I know I'm already at a disadvantage. What sort of BMAT score should I be aiming for if I want at least an interview?

Just need a bit of hope that I have at least a chance that's all...

They do have a lot of A*s but a strong BMAT will get you an interview either way (aim for mid-6s in S1 and S2).
Reply 39
Hey guys,
I have 6A*s in my GCSE's out of 11 and aiming for 65% in my BMAT. I know my GCSE's are awful( Oxford med standard) but they contextualise it. I went to a comprehensive school with 49% of pupils achiveing 5+ A*-C. I genuinely don't know how good or bad my gcse's look when its contextualised. I emailed oxford and they said they don't have contextualised data for this year. Anyone have ideas of how good my apllication will be?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending