The Student Room Group

Any other summer 2016 uni graduates still unemployed?

Just curious..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiquidCryztal
Just curious..

Its only been 2-3 months. Its only after 6 months when you really need to think seriously about your life and career.
Get some experience - volunteer or do an internship.
Reply 2
Original post by Boreism
Its only been 2-3 months. Its only after 6 months when you really need to think seriously about your life and career.

6 months is going to come on seriously fast.
Original post by Speckle
6 months is going to come on seriously fast.

Hence why graduates need to look ahead and plan what they need to do rather than just being a couch potato complaining they haven't found a ('dream') job.
Sitting at home all day won't solve that problem.
Yep, currently unemployed but I started late on applying for work as I had planned to do a masters but deferred for a year. Am hunting for a job currently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just curious..

I'm so glad you made this thread bc me

I've been so naive to think that getting a degree would actuaĺly mean something lmao.
All of the grad schemes require UCAS points that are too high for me and employers don't give a **** they just want X amount of experience.

I just wish I had known then what I know now. I feel so stupid that all this time has passed since finishing uni and I've achieved nothing in so much time. I should have tried to get a regular job and at least had an hourly wage and garnered experience until something better comes along (which clearly hasn't happened yet).

It's SO competitive out there and a steep learning curve.

Also with my lack of experience in the field I want to go into, I've had very few interviews. But that initial opportunity is just so hard to get. 8-10 firms had 'no vacancies' even for unpaid voluntary work, but fortunately, 4 months later, a firm has given me an opportunity and offered a 2 week placement.

My family are probs thinking wtf can you not get a paid position etc but It's a start and the experience I'll gain from it will be invaluable.

Again, I wish I had known then what I know now..but soon none of this will matter because the world is spinning too fast
*Yep welcome to the real world. My niece is still unemployed two years after graduating*and my nephew graduated this summer - also job hunting.

A degree is now no longer a passport to a job. What I would say is that any job is better than none - be it in a supermarket or a coffee shop - it is all experience and money in your pocket.

My niece chose to ignore that advice..*
One thing I find hard about job hunting is that I decided what I wanted to do too late to get any kind of relevant internship, but in general my field is quite hard to get first-hand experience without experience... although I do have achievements in relevant societies. So I've looked at entry level jobs, but even these want experience in e.g. data input, secretarial work and I'm sure there's someone willing to work in that job with 5-10+ years experience, who won't want to progress in 6+months and obviously an employer will favour them. I am over-qualified for entry level (in the sense that I have a degree so employers might wonder whether I'd be motivated or if I will leave in 3 months when something better comes along) but under-qualified for anything else. At least grad schemes tend to expect little experience, but then they are super competitive (although I'm giving it a go... even in fields outside my 'chosen' one as I'd rather get something than nothing).

That said, you guys should consider looking at internships, and widen your search - it's better to get an internship in a sector that isn't your ideal company than to be unemployed. I've just started my second internship, so at least have been gaining experience and earning money since I graduated, and at the weekends I'm looking at grad schemes. But it is so so hard - one woman in the organisation I work with told me how she graduated from a top uni, but completed 4 internships before landing a job. Another (who is also an intern) has a master's and 3 internships experience, but is still working as an intern.
It's really hard for me hardly any graduate schemes or internships in the field I want to work in. I had to keep applying for jobs, three interviews in the field did not get any of the jobs but at least I got feedback from two. I will keep applying and am hopeful on one that I applied for recently as I felt I really match the person they were after, just got to wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boreism

I've got experience from before University. Internships are as difficult to come by, if not worse than jobs.

I'm located in a rural location, volunteering would cost me money. Something I'd look to do long-term though.
Original post by Boreism
Hence why graduates need to look ahead and plan what they need to do rather than just being a couch potato complaining they haven't found a ('dream':wink: job.
Sitting at home all day won't solve that problem.

So because I haven't got a job, that must mean I've been a couch potato and am only applying for dream jobs?

No consideration at all that the job market is just terrible?
Original post by squeakysquirrel
*Yep welcome to the real world. My niece is still unemployed two years after graduating*and my nephew graduated this summer - also job hunting.

A degree is now no longer a passport to a job. What I would say is that any job is better than none - be it in a supermarket or a coffee shop - it is all experience and money in your pocket.

Yeah, and I'm trying to get "any job". That's why I've posted this thread - because it isn't happening.
Original post by SIN3

All of the grad schemes require UCAS points that are too high for me and employers don't give a **** they just want X amount of experience.

Wait what? As in ucas points from a levels? Why would they care about ucas points after uni? Or does uni give ucas points too?
Christmas jobs are around the corner so there will definitely be opportunities there. I would recommebd Royal Mail sorting jobs as being the easiest to get. Local employment agencies are good as well. Travail Agency were very helpful to me.

Don't be too down, guys. When I graduated it took me five months to get a "good" job. Just take what you can for now.
I've got experience from before University. Internships are as difficult to come by, if not worse than jobs.

I'm located in a rural location, volunteering would cost me money. Something I'd look to do long-term though.

You obviously don't know anything about volunteering do you? It doesn't cost you anything, all of your travel expenses will be reimbursed to you at the end of the day.

Well rural areas usually mean there aren't enough jobs around (if you live in the countryside). I have university friends who moved to more urban areas because they know employment opportunities are limited. Can't you relocate? Apply for jobs in urban areas first then if they want to offer you the job just rent a place somewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Yes thats usually the case in most graduates these days. Like I said its the negative working attitude towards these kinds of roles because they know its a boring job that may lead to nowhere in their career. Then they still complain even when that offer is there. Still better than nothing in my opinion as it shows you're not sitting at home twiddling your thumbs waiting something great to happen in your life.
Original post by Boreism
You obviously don't know anything about volunteering do you? It doesn't cost you anything, all of your travel expenses will be reimbursed to you at the end of the day.

Well rural areas usually mean there aren't enough jobs around (if you live in the countryside). I have university friends who moved to more urban areas because they know employment opportunities are limited. Can't you relocate? Apply for jobs in urban areas first then if they want to offer you the job just rent a place somewhere.

They're going to reimburse me the cost of purchasing and running a car?

No I can't just relocate. Most people need paying jobs in order to do that. Obviously I'm applying for jobs in urban areas, you think I just sent out two applications to the local post office and pub before making this thread?
Try to get some experience as waiting around won't help, any experience you get would enhance your CV. But don't panic, it took me a full 12 months after graduating to get the job I wanted (and went to uni in the first place for!). Just be proactive with your time and keep trying.
They're going to reimburse me the cost of purchasing and running a car?

No I can't just relocate. Most people need paying jobs in order to do that. Obviously I'm applying for jobs in urban areas, you think I just sent out two applications to the local post office and pub before making this thread?

If you can't drive, you may get a bus if possible. If you did have car they would reimburse the petrol. Been there and done it. If nothing works then you can just apply for JSA but they would tell you the same thing they would place you on volunteer work anyway. I used to work at the Jobcentre and this was (and still is) the type of advice I was told to give.

Obviously don't just apply to 2 places, you need to make more than that!
Just keep applying to anything not just in one field.

You do not need to make snotty comments, I am only trying to help. Of course with that kind of attitude you may not get anywhere in life, especially employment.
Original post by Boreism
If you can't drive, you may get a bus if possible. If you did have car they would reimburse the petrol. Been there and done it. If nothing works then you can just apply for JSA but they would tell you the same thing they would place you on volunteer work anyway. I used to work at the Jobcentre and this was (and still is) the type of advice I was told to give.

Obviously don't just apply to 2 places, you need to make more than that!
Just keep applying to anything not just in one field.

You do not need to make snotty comments, I am only trying to help. Of course with that kind of attitude you may not get anywhere in life, especially employment.

I'm volunteering at the moment and they only pay half my travel. I too come from a small town and there are little opportunities in what I want to do - I'm lucky enough to be able to commute to London but it will set me back around £600 for my volunteering period to gain experience in the sector (even with half of it reimbursed by the organisation). I'm very lucky to be able to do so. My sister previously worked in a charity shop and was not paid expenses. I tried to work at the weekends to make up the travel costs, but am having to reduce this since it's too overwhelming to be working 6 days a week, commuting 3 hours a day, and still trying to apply to as many jobs as you can in the evenings.

Many people have good experience but still struggle to find a job - with so many people applying, it can come down to luck a lot of the time. I don't doubt that everyone on this thread is trying, but a lot of time responses tend to be very judging rather than give practical advice. I don't think this poster is being snotty at all - it's frustrating when you've been making countless applications, and someone tells you the only reason you haven't succeeded is because you're not trying hard enough. I wish people on here would ask more about the poster's relevant experience and skills before making judgements on what they can do next. It's not easy to relocate, especially for many entry level/dead end/barely above minimum wage jobs which you're recommending as an option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending