The Student Room Group

How do I tell them I want to move away?

I am in my first year studying Music and I'm living at home. However, I think it would be quite a bit easier if - instead of buying a car once I pass my test - I moved into the city next year.

I'm only a 30 minute train journey from uni but because I'm in 5 days a week and have to worry about train times and delays, I think it would be easier for me to move into Edinburgh in a shared flat with some friends and fellow students.

However, if I were to move into the city, it would be purely to study at ease and I wouldn't want to commit to a part time job. I know that my parents wouldn't be very happy about this, since they were already quite persistent I get a job even though I really don't NEED the money. I would be looking at gigging and busking casually as a source of extra income on top of my loan of £450 a month.

Of course, I have some savings and I am extremely dedicated to my studies, so I do feel that - although it's a big move - it's a move worth making.

How do I tell my parents about it now so that I can get them to warm to the idea before September 2017?
Original post by sophiebubbles1
I am in my first year studying Music and I'm living at home. However, I think it would be quite a bit easier if - instead of buying a car once I pass my test - I moved into the city next year.

I'm only a 30 minute train journey from uni but because I'm in 5 days a week and have to worry about train times and delays, I think it would be easier for me to move into Edinburgh in a shared flat with some friends and fellow students.

However, if I were to move into the city, it would be purely to study at ease and I wouldn't want to commit to a part time job. I know that my parents wouldn't be very happy about this, since they were already quite persistent I get a job even though I really don't NEED the money. I would be looking at gigging and busking casually as a source of extra income on top of my loan of £450 a month.

Of course, I have some savings and I am extremely dedicated to my studies, so I do feel that - although it's a big move - it's a move worth making.

How do I tell my parents about it now so that I can get them to warm to the idea before September 2017?

Maybe don't 'tell' them, introduce it as a possibility you are thinking about eg My friends are looking for a fourth person to take up a flat share next year, and I'm thinking about it - what do you reckon? That puts the blame on someone else if they think it;s a bad idea! But also means you are opening a discussion, and you can put your points across. You can just gradually rack up the pressure when you really do have a group - eg say "My friends have pressured me into going to look at a flat and I'm going to humour them" then come back and tell them it was wonderful! Warm them up to the idea gradually.
Original post by threeportdrift
Maybe don't 'tell' them, introduce it as a possibility you are thinking about eg My friends are looking for a fourth person to take up a flat share next year, and I'm thinking about it - what do you reckon? That puts the blame on someone else if they think it;s a bad idea! But also means you are opening a discussion, and you can put your points across. You can just gradually rack up the pressure when you really do have a group - eg say "My friends have pressured me into going to look at a flat and I'm going to humour them" then come back and tell them it was wonderful! Warm them up to the idea gradually.

Thank you very much - that's such a clever idea! I will need to give it a go over the next wee while. I think I'm a little worried about how they'll react because I'm their first child, so it's as big a step for them in letting me go as it is for me in moving away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending