The Student Room Group

The Contraceptive Thread - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gnr567
Ahhh thanks so much! I know I'm being paranoid but it's my first relationship and am just a little paranoid about everything! Did you experience any bloating at the start? I've always been really slim so even though it isn't much you can really notice it on me and am going on holiday with the boyf...so it's less than ideal

Thanks for putting my mind at ease! X

I totally understand, I went on the pill when I got together with my boyfriend, who's my first serious boyfriend :smile: I can't really remember exactly what my symptoms were, but in the first month I was on it I seem to remember they were similar to the symptoms of pregnancy. I can't really help with that I'm afraid! I hope you have fun on your holiday, though!
Original post by Helenia
The contraceptive pill

Where can I get the pill?

The contraceptive pill has to given on prescription in the UK. There are two main places that you can go and get the contraceptive pill your GP or a family planning clinic. You can find a family planning clinic near you here.

I stopped taking the Pill recently as it was affecting my mood how long will it take ffor my hormones to go back to normal? I have had my period but still feel bad :frown:
Original post by lisam191
Quick question. I was on the combined pill for the past 12 months. I've recently come off it, just temporarily for a few months. I am a very light smoker (Less than 10 a day). I know the pills risky for girls who smoke, but my doctor asked me about smoking and i told him honestly how many i smoke per day and he was happy to prescribe the pill to me, Question is, am i safe? Or should i be concerned?

Iirc the combined pill is risky for smokers who are aged 35+ and the mini pill is safe for smokers of any age.
Original post by Desi123
I stopped taking the Pill recently as it was affecting my mood how long will it take ffor my hormones to go back to normal? I have had my period but still feel bad :frown:

Combined or mini?

If combined, did you finish the pack before stopping?

Basically one full cycle and it should be feeling more normal, so by the end of your next period I would imagine.

If it remains a concern after a few periods visit your doctor.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Combined or mini?

If combined, did you finish the pack before stopping?

Basically one full cycle and it should be feeling more normal, so by the end of your next period I would imagine.

If it remains a concern after a few periods visit your doctor.

Combined. I finished the pack, had my withdrawal bleed and then just finished my period about 4 weeks after. Should I start feeling normal soon? :smile:
Hi is any one on loestrin 20?
I just started sleeping with my bf and would rather not have to use a condom but I'm not sure if its as effective as loestrin 30 (first took it for periods not contraception) . So basically has anyone been given loestrin 20 for contraception?
I've been on the pill for about a year I missed one pill the week before my 7 day break however I did take the rest until the break. After the 7 days I took the pill in the morning would I have been protected that night?
I'm not planning on having sex at the moment but i'm starting university in september. Should I start birth control now, to be prepared? Or when I plan on having sex?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not planning on having sex at the moment but i'm starting university in september. Should I start birth control now, to be prepared? Or when I plan on having sex?

There is no need to get on the pill if you don't need it for regulating your periods or you plan to have sex. Do keep in mind that it usually takes 7 days to be effective and that you should still use a condom if you do end up planning to have sex.

Quick Reply

Latest