The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth or Bangor for English and Creative Writing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by purple_starlight
Why... do the English get left out at Aber then? (because I'm english)

No, they just probably run in different circles! I don't actually go there, I have a brother there and have visited quite a few friends. I just feel that the Pant-y-Celyn crew just keep to themselfs, but I guess that doesn't mean they have a better social life. Of what I've seen, there's a big drinking culture with the welsh community and it's natural that there's a bit of a divide when you've got a hall specifically for the welsh! I'm obviously very biased as I've only experienced the welsh social life there. Are you applying there this year? Because if you are, so am I!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by madders94
Slightly related: my sister is playing a baby Welsh dragon in our pantomime this year! :awesome:

I'm applying this year, my choices are -

Glyndwr University
Liverpool John Moores
Aberystwyth
Manchester Metropolitan
Glamorgan (Atrium in Cardiff)

All for a drama/applied drama related subject :smile: how about you, what are your other choices?

The people in the area are really lovely :smile: there's this concept that everyone in Wales is really unwelcoming to people from outside of Wales, but that's not true at all. You get one or two, like you get in any country, but the majority are lovely :smile:

N'aawwwww a baby wels dragon!!! That's so cute!! :smile:

My choices are...
Bangor
Aberystwyth
Glamorgan
Glyndwr
Bath spa
or maybe Cardiff

I want to take english with creative writing ..but I think you already know that :smile:

Yeah...they were all really lovely (well the people that I talked to). There are SO MANY HILLS though...so I'm going to have super muscle legs by the end of the 3 years hehe!
Reply 22
Good luck in Aberystwyth- it's basically just one big hill!
Original post by Anji-banji
No, they just probably run in different circles! I don't actually go there, I have a brother there and have visited quite a few friends. I just feel that the Pant-y-Celyn crew just keep to themselfs, but I guess that doesn't mean they have a better social life. Of what I've seen, there's a big drinking culture with the welsh community and it's natural that there's a bit of a divide when you've got a hall specifically for the welsh! I'm obviously very biased as I've only experienced the welsh social life there. Are you applying there this year? Because if you are, so am I!

yeah! That's not fair...a halls just for the welsh...surely that's discrimination!? :smile:

Yep I'm applying this year! Although I still need to finish my ucas and I'm worried because it's getting so close to the deadline. I'm still waiting for my college tutor to give my personal statement back to say it's okay before I can send it off...which is so annoying!
Have you finished sending your ucas form and everything?

Where else are you applying to? What are you hoping to study?
N'aawwwww a baby wels dragon!!! That's so cute!! :smile:

My choices are...
Bangor
Aberystwyth
Glamorgan
Glyndwr
Bath spa
or maybe Cardiff

I want to take english with creative writing ..but I think you already know that :smile:

Yeah...they were all really lovely (well the people that I talked to). There are SO MANY HILLS though...so I'm going to have super muscle legs by the end of the 3 years hehe!

If you like hills, you'll love Aber. You'll be on the Penglais campus and that, as well as the accommodation, is all on one really big hill overlooking the town and the sea :awesome:

Have you been to see Glyndwr yet? I saw it and fell in love with it :gah: plus there's a straight-through bus service to where I live, 2hrs15minutes. The advantage that Aber has is that I'm closer to home and can see my boyfriend more.
yeah! That's not fair...a halls just for the welsh...surely that's discrimination!? :smile:

Yep I'm applying this year! Although I still need to finish my ucas and I'm worried because it's getting so close to the deadline. I'm still waiting for my college tutor to give my personal statement back to say it's okay before I can send it off...which is so annoying!

It's not a very nice halls at all - I looked around because I want to carry on speaking Welsh socially when I go to Uni, but Pantycelyn is literally falling apart, it smells horrible and doesn't look very clean, if I go to Aber I'm definitely going to apply to be in Rosser, with Trefloyne as my backup.

Pantycelyn is basically for people who want to carry on speaking Welsh and stay with Welsh people specifically, and it's a catered hall so it costs more too. I'm kind of glad I didn't like Pantycelyn much because I think I'd rather stay in a mixed hall where I can speak both English and (hopefully) Welsh if I do go to Aber.
Reply 26

It's not discrimination that we have a hall, but it is that we only have to pay £3,500 a year!
I've sent mine to do various geography based courses.....
I've already got a conditional from Cardiff and Swansea and I'm waiting on Bristol and Aberystwyth!
I find myself checking my e-mail everyday now in case I get something!
It's not a very nice halls at all - I looked around because I want to carry on speaking Welsh socially when I go to Uni, but Pantycelyn is literally falling apart, it smells horrible and doesn't look very clean, if I go to Aber I'm definitely going to apply to be in Rosser, with Trefloyne as my backup.

Pantycelyn is basically for people who want to carry on speaking Welsh and stay with Welsh people specifically, and it's a catered hall so it costs more too. I'm kind of glad I didn't like Pantycelyn much because I think I'd rather stay in a mixed hall where I can speak both English and (hopefully) Welsh if I do go to Aber.

That's a shame because it doesn't look too bad on the outside from what I've seen from the pictures. But it's good to know about what it's really like.

I'd love to learn welsh but I'm sure by going to uni in Wales I'll pick up some (hopefully). Is it very hard to learn? Some of those words looks so confusing!

If I go to Aberystwyth in the end...I might be in the same halls as you! :smile:
That's a shame because it doesn't look too bad on the outside from what I've seen from the pictures. But it's good to know about what it's really like.

I'd love to learn welsh but I'm sure by going to uni in Wales I'll pick up some (hopefully). Is it very hard to learn? Some of those words looks so confusing!

If I go to Aberystwyth in the end...I might be in the same halls as you! :smile:

I don't consider it very hard at all but that's because I've been fluent since I was three, so I'm not the best person to ask really :colondollar: but to be honest, once you get the hang of how you pronounce "ch", "ll", "f" etc you can ignore the mutations really (no-one's going to stop you and give you a grammar lesson in the middle of conversation) and it's pretty basic. If you can speak any basic French, I find the two are quite similar in a lot of words - eg, "easter" in French is Paque, in Welsh it's Pasg :smile: it's a beautiful language.

If we both go to Aber and we're in the same halls, I'll teach you Welsh :biggrin:
I don't consider it very hard at all but that's because I've been fluent since I was three, so I'm not the best person to ask really :colondollar: but to be honest, once you get the hang of how you pronounce "ch", "ll", "f" etc you can ignore the mutations really (no-one's going to stop you and give you a grammar lesson in the middle of conversation) and it's pretty basic. If you can speak any basic French, I find the two are quite similar in a lot of words - eg, "easter" in French is Paque, in Welsh it's Pasg :smile: it's a beautiful language.

If we both go to Aber and we're in the same halls, I'll teach you Welsh :biggrin:

Haha! Sounds like a plan!! :biggrin:

When I was in wales I didn't realise that people were speaking welsh I just thought that I couldn't understand them because of the accent difference andbecause they were speaking really fast. It wasn't until in the university that we see a cleaner talking to one of the university staff and my mum says later about how they were speaking welsh and I didn't realise it! It does sound lovely....I understand what you meaning about it sounding similar to french as it does seem to flow like french.
Original post by Anji-banji
Good luck in Aberystwyth- it's basically just one big hill!

hehe!! Bangor is quite similar!

I'm getting practice as my college is built at the top of a hill and climbing it during winter, when there's ice, takes some great skill. There should be awards for the skill it takes for climbing that hill.

Going down it is easier on ice...you can just slide! :biggrin:
Reply 31
x

What the poster said about the hall being strictly for Welsh isn't really true, the hall is for Welsh-speakers. It's not really discrimination. As you probably know, lots of English-speakers go to Aber and I'm assuming a lot of the Welsh speakers feel marginalised (after all Wales is their country and they should be able to continue speaking their languages without hindrance) so it's purely to make sure the Welsh speakers are catered for.
Original post by Lewis :D
What the poster said about the hall being strictly for Welsh isn't really true, the hall is for Welsh-speakers. It's not really discrimination. As you probably know, lots of English-speakers go to Aber and I'm assuming a lot of the Welsh speakers feel marginalised (after all Wales is their country and they should be able to continue speaking their languages without hindrance) so it's purely to make sure the Welsh speakers are catered for.

Yeah, I was joking slightly about the discrimination bit :smile:
Now I've thought about it; it makes sense for them to want to speak the language on a day to day basis as it's Welsh tradition and culture and it's their language. I think it's easy for the english to forget this sometimes. A lot of english say how hardly anyone speaks welsh anymore, when in reality that isn't true. It's nice to keep the welsh language going :smile:

The one thing that is a unfair is that Wales and Scotland pay far less for the uni fees compared to the english. (well, scottish students have free uni education...which is even better!) It makes no sense! :mad:
Reply 33
Now I've thought about it; it makes sense for them to want to speak the language on a day to day basis as it's Welsh tradition and culture and it's their language. I think it's easy for the english to forget this sometimes. A lot of english say how hardly anyone speaks welsh anymore, when in reality that isn't true. It's nice to keep the welsh language going :smile:

The one thing that is a unfair is that Wales and Scotland pay far less for the uni fees compared to the english. (well, scottish students have free uni education...which is even better!) It makes no sense! :mad:

I really do agree with that, but the complicated thing is that even if England had its own parliament the Conservatives would still probably get elected and would result in an increase in fees anyway :/

I agree that it's unfair, and the fault rests with the Tories - the Welsh assembly government have this year chosen to subsidise any fees over £3,600, and the Scottish government subsidises the fees for their students iirc. The English government could choose to subsidise your fees but, and I imagine that it is because of the vast number of English students compared to Welsh and Scottish ones, they have chosen not to.
Aaah, i'm applying for both Aberystwyth and Bangor and would literally have no idea where to choose if i managed to get offers from both!
Went to see Bangor for the course you're interested in and it was not that good! They have only been doing creative writing for one year so it's not polished yet, and personally Bangor was not for me!

Have not seen Aberstwyth tho so i can't compare!

Good luck :smile:
If you like hills, you'll love Aber. You'll be on the Penglais campus and that, as well as the accommodation, is all on one really big hill overlooking the town and the sea :awesome:

Have you been to see Glyndwr yet? I saw it and fell in love with it :gah: plus there's a straight-through bus service to where I live, 2hrs15minutes. The advantage that Aber has is that I'm closer to home and can see my boyfriend more.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one the other day :smile:

Wow! I wish that I got a chance to see Aber! :biggrin: Aber seems to be closer to the sea than Bangor is.

I didn't go to the university open day but in July, I was camping near Wrexham and we went around the town. Some of the university buildings looked really pretty!!
Have you been to the open day for Glyndwr then? I'm not sure where to go for uni out of Bangor, Aber and Glyndwr right now. I think I'm more leaning towards Bangor, but I'm not sure if that's just because I went to the open day. If I went to the other open days I may feel differently. ARRGG Why does everything have to be so far away!
N'awwww it's good if it means you see your boyfriend more if you went to Aber :smile:
Original post by sophieisdizzy
Aaah, i'm applying for both Aberystwyth and Bangor and would literally have no idea where to choose if i managed to get offers from both!

Me too!

What are you applying for?

Have you been to both open days?
Original post by pinkfreekyfrog
Went to see Bangor for the course you're interested in and it was not that good! They have only been doing creative writing for one year so it's not polished yet, and personally Bangor was not for me!

Have not seen Aberstwyth tho so i can't compare!

Good luck :smile:

Ah, I didn't realise that. :smile:

What other universities have you visited and what did you think of them?

Have you been to Glyndwr's open day?

Quick Reply

Latest