The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by faithxfaye
Thank you! I am very glad, just soo happy because I've been waiting like 5-6months. Are you goin to the offer open day?

yes definitely, just got a confirmation email today from them ! looking forward to the taster lecture thing :smile: are you going as well? have you decided on accommodation?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 5061
It was great fun for the last months with you, guys. Unfortunatelly today i was rejected from L101. Nevertheless i do not give up and gonna apply for 2013. Hopefully, see you next year. :smile:
Reply 5062
Original post by blacktreacle
I got an email from UCAS today. But stupidly my UCAS account got suspended so I can't log on to Track until tomorrow. But I bet it was a rejection - I received it at noon time where most people got their rejections. LOL

I heard all cambridge offer holders got a rejection... WHY?!?! I havent heard anyone who has got an offer =/
Original post by ISS2508
I heard all cambridge offer holders got a rejection... WHY?!?! I havent heard anyone who has got an offer =/

I know some guy who got an offer from Cambridge and LSE for mathematics so if LSE get rid of you it's not because you applied to cambridge it's just that your not a sutiable candidate for LSE and more suited to Cambridge.
Original post by Abdullah CEO
I know some guy who got an offer from Cambridge and LSE for mathematics so if LSE get rid of you it's not because you applied to cambridge it's just that your not a sutiable candidate for LSE and more suited to Cambridge.

No, there is definitely something dodgy going on....

Me and 7 other cambridge offer holders for ba geography l700 were rejected at exactly the same time today for l702 geography at lse.

Also, the one girl who received an offer did so whilst she had been pooled by cambridge in january? Coincidence much.
Original post by Sadsnail

Me and 7 other cambridge offer holders for ba geography l700 were rejected at exactly the same time today for l702 geography at lse.

Also, the one girl who received an offer did so whilst she had been pooled by cambridge in january? Coincidence much.

When did you get your rejection? I didn't apply for Oxbridge!
Original post by blacktreacle
When did you get your rejection? I didn't apply for Oxbridge!

I'm not sure the exact time now, I deleted the email :tongue: haha, around half 1 ish ?
I'm not sure the exact time now, I deleted the email :tongue: haha, around half 1 ish ?

I got mine at 12pm. Not sure if it was an offer or a rejection but it's VERY likely that it's a rejection. Gutted that I actually have to wait until tomorrow to check my UCAS....

To be honest your grades were 'quite' weak for a LSE applicant, at least Cambridge have the interview as a chance to shine..
Original post by Tsunami2011
To be honest your grades were 'quite' weak for a LSE applicant, at least Cambridge have the interview as a chance to shine..

I know that! But the other cambridge offer holders have 10a*+ and 4/5 a at as and predicted 3/4 a*s and still rejected. My grades in no way reflect my ability which is why I got a cambridge offer
Original post by cablebuck
gov=government
ie government and eco!...so it was sort of a ppe statement.

ohhh right i misread, i thought it said geo, my bad

I wouldn't come on here and post false information, I'm telling you from what I have seen on his ucas Cambridge as his firm LSE as an insurance, rejected imperial Warwick and Durham.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, going Cambridge won't be too bad I guess?
I wouldn't come on here and post false information, I'm telling you from what I have seen on his ucas Cambridge as his firm LSE as an insurance, rejected imperial Warwick and Durham.

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection, going Cambridge won't be too bad I guess?

What are you talking about, I am not posting false information, I genuinely know 7 other people who applied for geography at cambridge and lse and were rejected today. That's great for him, I am saying it seems to be a coincidence FROM WHAT I KNOW / HAVE HEARD. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE PERSON who applied to both was rejected from lse. Just SEVEN people, gawd. Cambridge is perfect,thanks.
Also, with geography I think it's a personal statement thing.

Cambridge is both physical and human geography and lse is just human. So maybe mentioning both in your personal statement means it is not tapered enough for the course. end of
Reply 5074
Original post by ISS2508

The bottom line is that schools look for very specific things - Durham wants a well rounded ps, Cambridge couldn't care less, LSE says 75-25% - so getting an offer from one "higher ranked" university does not ipso facto guarantee entry into another equally (or, in LSE's case, MORE) competitive one. Yes, in principle these schools want similar things - great academics - but many applicants offer that to them and they have the luxury of selecting for their own idiosyncrasies. If you're going to either LSE or Cambridge (or many other schools in the UK) you are in a very fortunate position.

Edit: Not to mention, this complaint/inquiry is a tad insensitive on a day when people have gotten rejections at their dream choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
so you think it should be 100% down to grades?!

No obviously not. I just don't think they should take into account the writing style of the personal statement. Obviously they should read into what you have done to support your enthusiasm towards the subject (i.e. further reading and taking part in competitions blah-dee-blah) but not how fluent you are in prose. You shouldn't be able to pick up 'extra marks' just for being able to link sentences together more nicely than another candidate.
Original post by seanahnuk
No obviously not. I just don't think they should take into account the writing style of the personal statement. Obviously they should read into what you have done to support your enthusiasm towards the subject (i.e. further reading and taking part in competitions blah-dee-blah) but not how fluent you are in prose. You shouldn't be able to pick up 'extra marks' just for being able to link sentences together more nicely than another candidate.

I don't think admissions tuturs consciously take note of this, I think it's more of a subconscious, subliminal deal that writing well can make the actual reading more enjoyable/more memorable etc and is more likely to make an impact with them.

What are you talking about, I am not posting false information, I genuinely know 7 other people who applied for geography at cambridge and lse and were rejected today. That's great for him, I am saying it seems to be a coincidence FROM WHAT I KNOW / HAVE HEARD. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE PERSON who applied to both was rejected from lse. Just SEVEN people, gawd. Cambridge is perfect,thanks.

I got rejected from LSE for geography last year with (in my opinion) strong academics for a subject like Geography. It was probably because your personal statement wasn't so focused towards lse...the course at lse is a bit unique.

Lesson learnt for this year though (different course) :smile:

You are the sort of person that I would run a mile from.
Reply 5079

I was really just aiming my statement to whoever applied for Geography, nothing to do with Mathematics...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending