The Student Room Group

HNC Care and Administrative practice (HNC CAP) in August? :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EJB1986
We have been told that we are starting the 29th August. However I'm not sure if this is induction or not.
I have been told that we will be in Monday's and Tuesday's 9-4 and that our placements won't start until October sometime. This is at Aurshire college at Kilwinning campus tho x

I'm sure the induction week at Glasgow kelvin is from the 22nd August so probably start the following week too. At interview they said our placements will start around November time. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
I'm guessing then it many be different due to which district you study in or stay in possibly. Im assuming you will fall under Greater Glasgow & Clyde and I will be under Ayrshire & Arran. It's all very different to when I studied last time.
Will you be in 5 full days?x
Reply 102
Original post by LeighUno
Hey Pam myself and Karen who is starting the course was at a childcare information session last week and they told us we won't get the timetables until 1/2 weeks prior to the course they said their aim is to get draft copies July ending but that is not a definite yet and even if we get our timetables early there could also be some changes after we start. He said the days will probably be the same but the rooms might change.

Hope that helps. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks everyone :smile: Guess I'll just need to be patient lol! :smile:
Hello :smile: gutted theres no-one on here that seems to be applying for this course at Cumbernauld college. Got my interview tomorrow don't think i've ever been this nervous!!
Original post by EJB1986
I'm guessing then it many be different due to which district you study in or stay in possibly. Im assuming you will fall under Greater Glasgow & Clyde and I will be under Ayrshire & Arran. It's all very different to when I studied last time.

Yeah I do, they said 1st trimester 3 n half days in college 2nd trimester 2 days college 2 days placement 3rd trimester 2 n half days in college if I have remembered correctly. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kimbostrach
Hello :smile: gutted theres no-one on here that seems to be applying for this course at Cumbernauld college. Got my interview tomorrow don't think i've ever been this nervous!!

I had applied there as a back up but cancelled my application when I got my place at Glasgow kelvin, good luck for tomorrow I'm sure you will do great. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106

Hi kimbostrach, I had an interview there in May and was offered an unconditional. There was a basic numeracy and literacy test, there wasn't much to the interview at all, they just asked why I applied for the course and they told me at the time they were offering me a place so that was nice! They seem to be really nice there and they have a good success rate too. Good luck!
Reply 107
Original post by EJB1986

Yeah Glasgow Kelvin have 3 semesters with our placements during our 2nd semester (2 or 3 shifts a week at an NHS hospital) and North Lanarkshire college have 2 semesters, their placements start from October and I think they last the rest of the term year, their placements are split between a care home and an NHS hospital but they're limited to 12 hours a week during their NHS placements.

Do you know where your placements will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cece16
Hi kimbostrach, I had an interview there in May and was offered an unconditional. There was a basic numeracy and literacy test, there wasn't much to the interview at all, they just asked why I applied for the course and they told me at the time they were offering me a place so that was nice! They seem to be really nice there and they have a good success rate too. Good luck!

Hey :smile: thank you so much, calmed my nerves a bit haha. Are you going to study in Cumbernauld then?
Reply 109
Hey :smile: thank you so much, calmed my nerves a bit haha. Are you going to study in Cumbernauld then?

No, I've declined it to accept a place at Glasgow Kelvin instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Hi,

I am just looking through the forum I have a group assessment next week at Dundee & Angus college for HNC Cap, the letter says that I will be asked to do a written piece, so I contacted the college to check incase I needed to research something beforehand, so I have been told that it will be a written piece is a series of 3 questions asked during the group assessment, so now panicking even more. Has anyone got any ideas what they questions might be??
Reply 111
Original post by sogs
Hi,

I am just looking through the forum I have a group assessment next week at Dundee & Angus college for HNC Cap, the letter says that I will be asked to do a written piece, so I contacted the college to check incase I needed to research something beforehand, so I have been told that it will be a written piece is a series of 3 questions asked during the group assessment, so now panicking even more. Has anyone got any ideas what they questions might be??

Hi! Please don't panic. You will be just fine. For mine, we were asked to do a maths test, a group discussion and a written test too.
I was so nervous but honestly it was fine.

The group discussions were like..... If the NHS had 1 million to spend which category( adult,mental,child,disabled) would you chose and why?

The maths test..... Conventions ie kg-grams, long decision, long multipulication, long decision and fractions. If you have a good a good GCSE in maths you'll be fine.

And the written..... Everyone was give a different sinario that you maybe in and you were to explain what you would do in 250words.

Maybe good to know the NMC code of conduct too and read about care quality commission too .

Don't worry just practise you'll be fine.🤗
Reply 112
Hi i was wondering if anyone who has previously done this course know if theres national 5 maths in it or if someone who previously hasnt got it needs to do it as a unit in this course thanks.
Reply 113
I have just started my HNC Care and administration practice and am doing a piece of work about reflection, I am struggling to answer a question which is Have you already identified your learning needs? not quite sure how to answer this? I am a mature student and want to do my best on this course, I am enjoying it so far, I feel quite stupid asking this question to be honest and it probably has an obvious answer. If anyone can help I would appreciate your help.

thanks in advance
Reply 114
Original post by Nikki1305
I'm starting this course at North East Scotland College in Aberdeen next Monday:smile: I'm quite scared as I have experience in mental health and this seems more clinical based but I am excited for placements :biggrin:

Hi Nikki
I am about to go into my 4th week at NESCOL on this course, how did you find it?
Most of our class are already working for NHS Grampian and being sponsored by the trust to progress onto Band 4 jobs within the hospital. We do have 5 school leavers who are using it as a stepping-stone into getting onto the degree nursing course at RGU. Got our first "real" assessment handed out to us yesterday and its to be handed in in 2 weeks, quite a lot of us are stressing as obviously we have other tasks (power point presentations etc) to be done for other subjects and many are finding it difficult to get work done as well as work full-time and have families.
Any advice or info very much appreciated lol :smile:
Hi folks, I was just looking if anyone knows any information about the HNC CAP evening classes at either the Cardonald campus or the city of Glasgow evening class? It's more the placement side of things. I obviously work days, so unsure how the college fits or try's to fit placements around this. I've called both colleges with little information feedback. I can't study the HNC full time due to funding, but I like many plan to do the HNC to apply for 2nd year adult nurse entry. If anyone could even point me in some directions I'd appriciate this too 👍😄👍😄👍
Reply 116
Original post by illymolly
Hi folks, I was just looking if anyone knows any information about the HNC CAP evening classes at either the Cardonald campus or the city of Glasgow evening class? It's more the placement side of things. I obviously work days, so unsure how the college fits or try's to fit placements around this. I've called both colleges with little information feedback. I can't study the HNC full time due to funding, but I like many plan to do the HNC to apply for 2nd year adult nurse entry. If anyone could even point me in some directions I'd appriciate this too 👍😄👍😄👍

I'm unsure of the evening classes to be honest.

I'm currently studying it full time. I was working 37.5hrs before I started this course and I was told at interview that I would be looking to drop my hours drastically. Which I didn't because I didn't think it would be that big a deal as the course was only 2 days per week, however, now I'm doing the course it's actually a lot of work and requires a lot of research and self directed learning. 📚
I dropped to 30 hours and now with placement I've had to drop my hours further to accommodate placement which is a vital part of the course.
I attended GCU student day and I was told that UNI will NOT work around your current employment and you will be expected to do placement days/nights/weekends/holidays whilst at UNI.
We are not allowed to chose our placements on this course nor are we allowed to choose our hours or which days we attend placement and we MUST complete all hours that are required. I have to do 2 12shifts per week as I have a hospital placement first block that's on top of the the 2 days we are in college and we have exams and at least 3 essays due too. I'm now on bank for the NHS because I can't work on a rota anymore.😢

The course is great and I'm loving it but it's a lot of work and you do have to be prepared to drop some hours to accommodate it. I'm sure the evening class will be the same if your due to gain the same HNC as those studying during the day. The only difference would be that your classes are night I would presume (obviously)😂

Hope this helps.
Best of Luck
Reply 117
Original post by EJB1986
I'm unsure of the evening classes to be honest.

I'm currently studying it full time. I was working 37.5hrs before I started this course and I was told at interview that I would be looking to drop my hours drastically. Which I didn't because I didn't think it would be that big a deal as the course was only 2 days per week, however, now I'm doing the course it's actually a lot of work and requires a lot of research and self directed learning. 📚
I dropped to 30 hours and now with placement I've had to drop my hours further to accommodate placement which is a vital part of the course.
I attended GCU student day and I was told that UNI will NOT work around your current employment and you will be expected to do placement days/nights/weekends/holidays whilst at UNI.
We are not allowed to chose our placements on this course nor are we allowed to choose our hours or which days we attend placement and we MUST complete all hours that are required. I have to do 2 12shifts per week as I have a hospital placement first block that's on top of the the 2 days we are in college and we have exams and at least 3 essays due too. I'm now on bank for the NHS because I can't work on a rota anymore.😢

The course is great and I'm loving it but it's a lot of work and you do have to be prepared to drop some hours to accommodate it. I'm sure the evening class will be the same if your due to gain the same HNC as those studying during the day. The only difference would be that your classes are night I would presume (obviously)😂

Hope this helps.
Best of Luck

Ps when your on placement you will be with your mentor and you can not be there without them. Your mentor is a current nurse which has undergone training to supervise you. If they work shifts then you'll work shifts too. X
Original post by EJB1986
Ps when your on placement you will be with your mentor and you can not be there without them. Your mentor is a current nurse which has undergone training to supervise you. If they work shifts then you'll work shifts too. X

The HNC evening is run over two years rather than just the one full time. I've heard the placement section would be within year two and would be 2/3 days a week. I'd be travelling from Ayrshire also. This would be my only opportunity of gaining the HNC in a way that's manageable for me. I just hoped more people knew more about the evening class route, so I could then decide if pursing this is within my grasp. I appriciate the comments you've made and take them on board, so many things. Seems nursing gets more and more competitive 😄😄😄
Reply 119
Has anyone applied for UCAS yet? If so has anyone heard back?

Quick Reply

Latest