The Student Room Group

Actuarial grad schemes 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Catiexx
Hi, I've just been invited to an interview for an internship at LCP in the pensions department. Please can anyone advise me on what to expect? Thanks

Intern/grad?
Original post by hunderfert
Hello everyone this is my first post. I am currently in my 3rd year at Bristol university studying Maths Msci but i am Thinking about dropping my 4th year and just completing the Bsc In maths. I have spoken to the department and i have until 1st April to decide if i'm continuing on the Msci or changing to the Bsc which would mean i finish this June. I am aspiring to become and Actuary and was wandering if anyone has any advice on whether I should continue with 4 years or not because i am not keen on doing the 4th year if i don't have to. So i would like to finish this June with the Bsc. However i am willing to complete the 4th year if it will really boost my chances of employment.

So really my question is do i really need an Msci in Maths to become an Actuary or is the Bsc enough?

Thanks.

Hello!

You most certainly do NOT need a year 4 degree to get into the actuarial profession. I would say 75% of the people I work with (very roughly) have 3 year degrees. The problem now would be getting into graduate schemes starting in 2016, it's not impossible but would be hard at this point.

If you did the 4 year degree you could apply for internships for this year or grad positions for 2017. Alternatively you could take a gap year and start work in 2017.
How's applications/offers going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninegrandstudent
How's applications/offers going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accepted offer for one of the big4. Don't want to mention the actual firm but I'm delighted to be off to London and delighted to have gotten a job in pensions.
Congrats. I have accepted an offer with an RI company, also v active in commercial insurance. Rejected an offer with a very large personal insurer - though pretty sure I have made the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What kinda resources if any did people use to learn about technicals for interview? Or would they not ask too much about that kinda stuff?
Anyone else interested in this thread? Anyone else going for Actuarial internships?
Original post by JamjamjamT
Anyone else interested in this thread? Anyone else going for Actuarial internships?

I'm in the middle of applications to Zurich, Barnett Waddingham, Allianz, Punter Southall and AON. What about you?
Original post by mathematigeek
I'm in the middle of applications to Zurich, Barnett Waddingham, Allianz, Punter Southall and AON. What about you?

Are you applying to the London offices or regional offices?

I have had an AC for Willis Towers Watson, a phone interview with Barnett Waddingham and completed the tests for Allianz and a few others.
Are you applying to the London offices or regional offices?

I have had an AC for Willis Towers Watson, a phone interview with Barnett Waddingham and completed the tests for Allianz and a few others.

Regional :smile: the only London one is Allianz for me. What about you? How was you BW phone interview, I would love to work with them!
Regional :smile: the only London one is Allianz for me. What about you? How was you BW phone interview, I would love to work with them!

Mine are all for London.
The BW interview was quite laid back and they expanded on my answers on the application form. All I have seen about them suggests that they are a great company to work for. Hopefully I did well enough to progress to the AC.
Mine are all for London.
The BW interview was quite laid back and they expanded on my answers on the application form. All I have seen about them suggests that they are a great company to work for. Hopefully I did well enough to progress to the AC.

You definitely would love to work with us (y)
Original post by bijesh12
You definitely would love to work with us (y)

I take it you work for BW?

What are they like to work for and do you know how many interns they take on each summer?
Mine are all for London.

Ah good! Had a PwC phone interview the other day and found it rather intimidating. Do they just sort of want to know more about you and ask you about the role and those questions?

How long after you sent your application did you hear back from BW? And how long has it been since your phone interview? :smile: good luck, I hope you get there too :smile:
Ah good! Had a PwC phone interview the other day and found it rather intimidating. Do they just sort of want to know more about you and ask you about the role and those questions?

How long after you sent your application did you hear back from BW? And how long has it been since your phone interview? :smile: good luck, I hope you get there too :smile:

The BW interview was really good - just expanded on my answers on the application form - why did you pick your Uni etc etc and then a couple of competency questions.
I think it was about 5 weeks from submission to the phone call. The lady said that she will ring me either before or on Weds and if I get through the AC is on Nov 22nd :smile:. I hope so too and good luck to you as well :biggrin:
The BW interview was really good - just expanded on my answers on the application form - why did you pick your Uni etc etc and then a couple of competency questions.
I think it was about 5 weeks from submission to the phone call. The lady said that she will ring me either before or on Weds and if I get through the AC is on Nov 22nd :smile:. I hope so too and good luck to you as well :biggrin:

Ah good! I have a lot to say about all of my answers so hopefully won't be too scary haha! Did you apply to Trustee Consulting or Insurance? I'm applying for Trustee Consulting so only sent my application yesterday! Put so much time and effort into the written questions, really hope it's enough to get me a phone interview!
Ah good! I have a lot to say about all of my answers so hopefully won't be too scary haha! Did you apply to Trustee Consulting or Insurance? I'm applying for Trustee Consulting so only sent my application yesterday! Put so much time and effort into the written questions, really hope it's enough to get me a phone interview!

I applied for the Actuarial internship.
I have an offer, I have an offer. I have a summer internship offer :biggrin:
I have an offer, I have an offer. I have a summer internship offer :biggrin:

Nice! Do you mind me asking where for? :smile:
Nice! Do you mind me asking where for? :smile:

It is with Willis Towers Watson. I got the phone call a few hours ago. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending