The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma:-)
Is there anyone on the student room who works in a shop, supermarket, restaurant etc and had really annoying customers.

I work in mcdonalds and we have had our fair share. One threatened to throw a brick with a bacon and egg mcmuffin selotaped to it through the window because he had apparently had a burnt one in the past and apparently the one he had on this occasion was burnt too (it wasnt at all) He never did throw it through the window.

LOL, I've come across a few whilst helping my uncle out in in his shop at the till.
People who stand their with their bottle of water and a card.

NO we don't take cards.
And if we did, you cannot expect to pay for a bottle of water with a card, surely?!!
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Sigh. I hate customers.

Y U NO PUT BASKETS ON THE PILE AND NOT ON MY FECKIN CONVEYOR BELT?

THIS
Original post by alexcs

NO we don't take cards.
And if we did, you cannot expect to pay for a bottle of water with a card, surely?!!

As an assumption, I wouldn't say it was highly presumptive to want to pay by card for such a small thing. Every large supermarket (as far as I'm aware) has no lower card limit, and lots of smaller places are starting to not have them either. So, in this current culture of paying by card for everything, I would say they could expect to pay for a bottle of water with a card...
Reply 4684
Original post by alexcs

NO we don't take cards.

I've spent 12p on my card, and regularly spend less than £1. It's more convenient than carrying cash and everything I spent appears on my statement. I don't mind paying up to say 25p for using my card to pay for a small amount, rather that than having a minimum limit of £5.
Original post by KNott
All these are funny and its a good read. Also the reason I dont want a part time job in Tescos, for example.

But, is there a rant thread for customers, about employed staff? I have completely stopped shopping at this one Tescos closest to me because the staff are ridiculing or inappropriate.
At first, a man always said "Hi", "Good Morning" etc which is nice. Then he'd try and have a conversation with me and follow me around the aisles, I've got my music in one ear, joggers on and no make-up, I'm just there to get some quick food! Does it look like I want to have a conversation?

He proceeds to run to the till and insist he check me out, when I was getting ready at the self-checkout.

The next time I went, a girl who was checking me out said her manager asked her to ask me if I was single. I said no and cringed a little.

Still, the next times I went there, he would follow me around the aisles, look at me or be all chatty. I've just stopped going.

So guys, not everybody wants to chat and make friends, please respect that (for you who rant that customers don't talk to you or ignore you). We're just there for a quick shop.

I know right, it's sometimes even worse at the checkout, I don't wanna make conversation.I want to pay for my purchases and leave :frown:.
Original post by KNott
All these are funny and its a good read. Also the reason I dont want a part time job in Tescos, for example.

But, is there a rant thread for customers, about employed staff? I have completely stopped shopping at this one Tescos closest to me because the staff are ridiculing or inappropriate.
At first, a man always said "Hi", "Good Morning" etc which is nice. Then he'd try and have a conversation with me and follow me around the aisles, I've got my music in one ear, joggers on and no make-up, I'm just there to get some quick food! Does it look like I want to have a conversation?

He proceeds to run to the till and insist he check me out, when I was getting ready at the self-checkout.

The next time I went, a girl who was checking me out said her manager asked her to ask me if I was single. I said no and cringed a little.

Still, the next times I went there, he would follow me around the aisles, look at me or be all chatty. I've just stopped going.

So guys, not everybody wants to chat and make friends, please respect that (for you who rant that customers don't talk to you or ignore you). We're just there for a quick shop.

At places like Waitrose you don't have a choice in the matter. You have to make small talk with customers, or else you're in the ****..:eek:

I would give anything, to just sit on my till for hours and not converse.
Reply 4687
Original post by alexcs

NO we don't take cards.

I pay for the majority of things by card. It's easier for both sides tbh, no cash handling means less chance of mistakes / scams during transactions, plus it's quicker as you can take payment while bagging up purchases.

I'd rather pay with my card for a £1.20ish transaction than go to the bank, take out £10, break the note and get left with a few silvers / coppers that you're never going to use most of the time..
Reply 4688
Original post by thatg
HAHAHA how could she be SO stupid?!?! Did she not know you don't turn 18 UNTIL your birthday, not the beginning of the month your birthday is in.

What did she say?

She just snapped the ID back off me, muttered something under her breath and stormed out of the shop. People never cease to surprise me.
Had a nasty case of snatch on my till today.

After i scan the items i push them down the baggage area and my hands are literally on them for about half a second. This one old man kept snatching the items off my scratching me with his claws he calls finger nails (they were a bit like peter pettigrew from harry potter), so i ended up kinda throwing the items down which i'd think was me not doing my job properly if i was a customer :/
Had thee most annoying/rude/confrontational customer yesterday.

My colleague was serving her on the customer service desk and she wanted to exchange a dress for a different size, she didnt have a receipt so she was told she could exchange the size if it was the same item. She then said we didnt have the size she wanted but they had another colour, at this point she was getting annoying. So she was told she could have the right size in the other colour, and if not she could exchange it for anything else in the clothing department but only for current till price (which was incidently 25% less than she supposedly paid). So she wanders off to look. Meanwhile my colleague has finished her shift and goes home and hands her over to me. She comes back with a more expensive dress and claims my colleague said she could exchange for any other dress if it was the same price as she originally paid. Now I'm not being funny but I was standing there THE WHOLE TIME she knew I had heard everything and when I refused the exchange and told her she had already been told the conditions of the exchange (which by the way were already against policy!) she threw the dress at me and stormed off!

It didn't surprise me, 4 years of customer service have made me thick skinned to pretty much anything. What really tickled me was the fact that the money she would've lost was only £4.50 was it honestly worth it?! It probably cost more than that to travel to the supermarket in the first place!
Original post by lalala7
I just hate how some customers assume that I have no intelligence whatsoever simply because I work in a shop. For example on Saturday a girl came in and asked for cigarettes and I ID'd her. She proceeded to hand me her ID which I then checked and to my utter disbelief it said that she would not be 18 until the 24th March. I felt like screaming: "HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK I AM?!!" I'm not going to check your ID, realise that you're 17 and still sell you the cigarettes. Muppet. :angry:

Perhaps she thought you'd just look at the picture and not the d.o.b.
Reply 4692
Following on from what other people have said about people assuming that people who work in supermarkets are uneducated and stupid, I thought I would share this little incident with you all! :smile:

I'm a 17 year old A2 college student who works in Waitrose on Tuesday and Friday evenings. However, many customers automatically assume that I am a college dropout or something. A few weeks ago, I was serving an elderly Indian lady (I'm not being racist btw - you'll see why I mentioned that later). Whilst scanning her items, she was already starting to irritate me - complaining about prices, offers and so forth. We then started talking about me and what I do. After telling her I'm a college student who is going to university in September, she had the nerve to say:
"Ooh, it's a surprise to find a white teenage boy who hasn't dropped out of college and isn't living in a council flat with a pregnant girlfriend, no job and some dogs!"
I just looked at her - I really didn't know how to react to that! I mentioned her race earlier in this post because I thought the fact she had said 'white teenage boy' was borderline racism!
Then she starts asking me what my parents do for a living! I told her that my dad is a chartered surveyor and my mum is a nurse. She then said:
"Ahh, well that's why you're doing okay for yourself - you must have had a good upbringing!"
Again, I didn't know how to react to this. What would she have said if I told her that my parents didn't work or something like that?
Eventually, she walked to the other end of the store, stopped, turned around and just stared at me for about 10 minutes! It was one of the strangest experiences I have had with a customer! :s-smilie:
Reply 4693
Original post by T0MM3H
Following on from what other people have said about people assuming that people who work in supermarkets are uneducated and stupid, I thought I would share this little incident with you all! :smile:

This reminds me of a story one of my flatmates once told...

Whilst working in Sainsbury's she was asked by two (again Indian) parents to tell their child to "Try harder in school, so she doesn't end up like me". My flatmate obliged and replied with "Try hard in school, then you can go to university like me". :biggrin: She was tempted to add something along the lines of "And when you get to uni, get a part time job to help support yourself", but she didn't. :tongue:
I found a word that accurately describes a large amount of my customers.
Kaelling (Danish)
Means:
An ugly, miserable woman who yells obscenities at her kids.
Original post by pongalo
I'll set the scene.
There are 6 self scan machines 2 freeze up during a busy period so i have to tell every person that they're not working, which accompanied with dealing with cretins gets me surprisingly stressed. There's one big till working with it being about quarter past 9, so all hand baskets and some small trollies come through with numerous 'people of the older generation' complaining there should be another till open (we didnt have the staff) and that the machines aren't working.

One quite old man comes up and asks me to pack and I apologise and say i can't but i can help you if you need it, he walks off to the till to be served....ok then. After waiting in the que for a while he comes back to self scan asks for me to help him so i scan one item to show him then go off to help another woman. I come back to find him arms crossed with a look of disgust on his face, the item was too light to be picked up by the scale so he couldnt scan the next item (all i have to do press an icon and scan my barcode to sort it). So i tap the icon and he scans the next item and puts it in the bag -_- i mention that its not actually scanned through by which point he gives up, throws the next item on the floor and storms off. I almost lost it primarily as he had assumed self scan is in fact called 'a slighty smaller que but takes longer and the attendent will happily scan your items despite having to look after a bunch of other tills while making sure noone steals anything'. If you're not good with self scan, nor do you want to learn how to use it, dont waste my time or yours by coming on here!

It's not all bad as some customers are really appreciative for helping them and the regulars understand how busy it can be which makes it seem more worthwhile :smile:

sainsburys? yeh i just type my login and id in, it takes longer but damn it makes me feel cool, ive seen a lot of people stealing things but honestly im not security, i just pretend as if i didnt see them
Reply 4696
Original post by roadkillzebra
I found a word that accurately describes a large amount of my customers.
Kaelling (Danish)
Means:
An ugly, miserable woman who yells obscenities at her kids.

This annoys me so much. You just know that kid is going to turn out to be a winner.
Another thing is when parents can't control their kids properly. I know the metal bars and rails must look like mega-awesome K-Nex, so I don't blame the kids but parents must realise that taking a wall display apart from the bottom up must present a pretty clear risk to the health and safety of their child.
Had to awkwardly take a metal bar off a kid during Sale who was hiding inside a clothes rack waving it around him sending clothes flying...
I've had a fun few days with the manager of one shop....

Working one shift with her, and she asks me to clean up the back yard, which isn't part of our job, and offered me £10 in payment. So I accept because it got me out of pestering gamblers for two hours. There were some hired contractors (doing other stuff) who refused the work because they weren't getting paid for it.

So, basically i've broke my back for 2 hours doing a job which would take much longer if they hired someone.

AFTER I get back to a cashier role, some guy wins £5k on a bet and he tips £10 to the manager. Well, there is an unwritten policy to split all tips right down the middle. Well, not this manager.... she slyly pockets it when I wasn't looking. I mean this outrages me more due to the fact that had it been me receiving £10, i'd have split it. In fact, only two people out of about 100 have refused to split one. She then has the cheek to offer me "a portion of chips" for tea - which are like £1 from the local.... so I politely refuse. Then she comes back and bangs on about the irish lottery bets she has just put on whilst she eats a fried rice meal (for at least £4). AND then she offers me her leftovers, the cheek of it!!

So yea, normally I just let this slide because after all it is only money.... :rolleyes:

BUT, the day after this....

She comes into the shop I was working in and very casually tells me that I was potentially shovelling asbestos up in the back yard. Apparently "she wasn't going to tell me, but it was only fair". So yea, I immediately tell her that I am going to ring up the district manager to inform her.... but this manager starts saying that she will ring her instead. So, on my lunch break I walk up to the other shop to check the asbestos on the skip (the stuff I allegedly moved, although they reckon it was actually dumped after the shop closed) and this manager informs me that "the company wont accept responsibility because I am an external agent" despite the fact that I was working during shift hours on company land moving up company ****.

So yea, I ring up the district manager mainly to confirm that she was aware that a company skip had asbestos in it (because it causes a lot of issues with the council) and she asks me a few questions... apparently the manager who spoke on my behalf had not stated that I WAS THE ONE SHOVELLING IT UP!!! The manager blatently lied behind my back, and for one simple reason (the district manager told the manager to ask a customer to remove the junk).

I hate some people in the workplace. They are weasels. They would prefer to save their own ass at the expense of someone's health. Everyone was clueless about the effects of asbestos and this manager demonstrated that she would happily disregard my health for the sake of her own bacon.

My manager is going to get into a load of **** over this, and yet I think i'm working with her tomorrow :frown: :frown: glglglgl me
Reply 4698
Two more things to add to my ever-growing list of things customers do that irritate me:

Me: "Hi there! Would you like some bags?"
Customer: "Well how else am I going to get all this home?"
Uhh, it may surprise you to know that many customers bring their own bags, ACTUALLY! D:

*After a offering a customer Cashback and being told they would like £50*
Me: "How would you like your Cashback?"
Customer: "Cash would be nice! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
-____-
Original post by loulou111
i work in waterstones and the amount of times people come in and ask for some stupidly obscure book is ridiculous and then when i have to check it on the system to see if we have the book in stock i get a dirty look for not knowing straight away! there are also the annoying people who hand me a book and tell me to tell them what its about and if its good.... have you even TRIED reading the blurb... not a happy book seller :colonhash:

When I'd only been at Waterstone's about a month, a woman came in, asked for an utterly obscure book, I told her I'd search for it on the system and she just flipped! She told me I should know without looking every book in the shop and flounced off to ask my colleague, who also told her she would look for it on the system - the woman walked out grumbling about how useless we were. :frown:

It was my first experience of a bad customer, I find the vast majority at Waterstone's are lovely. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending