The Student Room Group

What do you think of girls who don't wear make-up?

I take care of my skin and work out and all that, but I just can't be bothered to put on foundation/lippy etc. each day, I feel weird having all these different colours on my face :s-smilie: I put a lot of effort into the way I dress and so on, but I just rarely wear make-up even on a night out, at the most I'll pop on some lipstick or something. I wear it now and then for really fancy occasions, but I absolutely hate the feeling and hate having to take it off, it feels like washing paint off. :eek:

So, girls, do you judge other girls/form an impression of them for not wearing make-up?

Guys, do you find girls who don't wear make-up less attractive?

Scroll to see replies

I wear foundation and that's about it, it makes me look a bit more fresh faced on a morning and by the time I'm awake I've probably managed to wipe half of it off without thinking! Some girls can get away with it, some can't. I know girls who spend 45mins - 1 hour putting it on every day (a day a month lost on applying makeup!) and seeing them without it is pretty shocking.
Reply 2
Original post by RachaelBee
I wear foundation and that's about it, it makes me look a bit more fresh faced on a morning and by the time I'm awake I've probably managed to wipe half of it off without thinking! Some girls can get away with it, some can't. I know girls who spend 45mins - 1 hour putting it on every day (a day a month lost on applying makeup!) and seeing them without it is pretty shocking.

I think girls like that do often look fairly amazing, but I just can't be bothered, I'm happy with the way I look naturally TBH. :dontknow:

I do definitely look different to those girls who do wear make-up though (less "put together"), I suppose, I wondered if this made girls judgmental (quite a few remark on it) or turned guys off (though I still get my fair share of attention).
Original post by Ezekiella
I think girls like that do often look fairly amazing, but I just can't be bothered, I'm happy with the way I look naturally TBH. :dontknow:

I do definitely look different to those girls who do wear make-up though (less "put together"), I suppose, I wondered if this made girls judgmental (quite a few remark on it) or turned guys off (though I still get my fair share of attention).

I'm exactly the same, it has never done me any harm though! One of the nicest compliments I've ever had was from a colleague saying I remind him of his wife (whom he adores) because I'm 'still pretty even without make up'. I didn't even realise at the time how lovely it was of him to say that and I know he isn't the only guy to think like that. Every guy likes something different though and you'll never win them all over. Women will always have something to criticise so no good trying to impress them. :tongue: If you're too made up you "look like a slapper/tranny/hooker" and if you're not wearing enough then you're "not making an effort".

So to summarise, everyone is different so do what is best for you. There's a lot of people out there and they don't all think the same.
I prefer girls without. You know what you're getting no messing about; not to mention not having to wait hours for them before going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I prefer a girl to wear it.
I'm just lazy, I'll mean to do it on the train or the bus or whatever for work but I usually forget. And if I'm just going to uni, why bother. If I'm going out for lunch or meeting up with the girls I will, but only because I know all them will have. Whereas my boyfriend always says I don't need make up and if I wore it all the time I wouldn't look like me. Plus I always rub my eyes because of my contact lenses and end up looking like a panda.
I don't really judge girls on how much makeup they wear. I'll say though that caked on make up or badly applied fake tan I don't find nice to look at, I've never really found fashion or make up trends that appealing anyway, though. My sister does that cat eye flick thing with eyeliner every time and I just don't get why tbh :erm:

So as to forming an impression, I guess at worst I'd think they have bad taste if they were wearing tons of OTT makeup :dontknow: I wouldn't assume they had confidence issues or anything like that, as wearing make up is just the norm, really. If a girl wasn't wearing makeup, I'd assume she doesn't like wearing it, couldn't be bothered to put it on/was in a rush that morning, or something along those lines.

I can't actually wear make up too often. My eyes start itching and tearing up, which is uncomfortable and also ruins the makeup anyway. I'll wear foundation to even out my face on days when I need a little confidence boost and have slept badly, and I'll wear make up on special occasions/some nights out if I feel like it, but that's about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I judge girls who opt for the "au naturel" look but end up looking washed out, panda-eyed messes with blotchy skin. Why deny yourself a chance to attract better attention?
Everyone has a right to feel good no matter what they choose; makeup/ no makeup.

I feel good when wearing light makeup. I like to make an effort (not saying you have to wear makeup to make an effort) and like the bolder look I get, especially with mascara for eg. A little blusher gives me a nice glow etc. I also love shopping for makeup I don't know why. I just love the girly and 'new me' feel it gives. But it's up to the individual what they do! You're not a better woman for wearing makeup and you're not for not using makeup!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same! More laziness really, i moisturise etc and dress well, but it's so nice not having to worry about wiping your eyes or whatever, i alwayss wear concealer (people constantly say i look knackered/ill if i dont) sometimes I'll put some eyeliner on, even when I'm going out I'll only put concealer, eyeliner, lipstick on
Even mascara feels too heavy on my face and then taking it all off is horrible
People do look nicer with foundation, but when you see them without it jesusss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I used to wear foundation then one day my dad snapped and said:

"I can't hug you anymore - you keep getting foundation on my white shirts and it looks funny" (I'm black so my brown foundation rubs off in such a way it looks like a skidmark lol).
"I don't even know why you wear that stuff anyway, you're just as beautiful as your mum and she doesn't wear any make up."

It's honestly the nicest thing he's ever said to me and even though he was shouting at me I know he meant well. Which is why concealer is all I use (the bags under my eyes make me look like one of the walking dead). I know someone gonna say you shouldn't need a man to validate you - but its my dad.
Reply 12
Original post by RachaelBee

I think if you don't wear make up then you're strong and it's a good thing. But if you look like a sloth then **** that.
I take care of my skin and work out and all that, but I just can't be bothered to put on foundation/lippy etc. each day, I feel weird having all these different colours on my face :s-smilie: I put a lot of effort into the way I dress and so on, but I just rarely wear make-up even on a night out, at the most I'll pop on some lipstick or something. I wear it now and then for really fancy occasions, but I absolutely hate the feeling and hate having to take it off, it feels like washing paint off. :eek:

So, girls, do you judge other girls/form an impression of them for not wearing make-up?

Guys, do you find girls who don't wear make-up less attractive?

I personally think it's strange not to wear any makeup, but I totally accept it's your choice and wouldn't judge you. I'd just wonder why you didn't wear it.

But I'm one of those who spends ages artfully drawing on my face
Reply 14
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I personally think it's strange not to wear any makeup, but I totally accept it's your choice and wouldn't judge you. I'd just wonder why you didn't wear it.

But I'm one of those who spends ages artfully drawing on my face

Why is it "strange" for women not to wear make-up?
Why is it "strange" for women not to wear make-up?

For me, it's like getting dressed. So I see it the same as going out without shoes or leaving your trousers. I accept people do it and that's fine, just to me it's strange.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
For me, it's like getting dressed. So I see it the same as going out without shoes or leaving your trousers. I accept people do it and that's fine, just to me it's strange.

But I've been interested in makeup since I was 6

I don't see how not wearing make-up is any more "strange" than, say, not wearing jewellery. It's hardly comparable to going without shoes or brushing your hair.

Surely the idea that women should wear make-up but men shouldn't suggests that women are naturally inadequate looks-wise and can't look "good enough" without putting make-up on? That to me seems a little damaging.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't really notice if they don't have any on. I don't care what other girls put on their face

Original post by Sabertooth
I prefer girls without. You know what you're getting no messing about; not to mention not having to wait hours for them before going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the average girl takes "hours" to put make up on, and most people don't look hugely different without it, unless you're thinking of an extreme version like someone from snog, marry, avoid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I prefer girls who wear no to very little make up
I don't see how not wearing make-up is any more "strange" than, say, not wearing jewellery. It's hardly comparable to going without shoes or brushing your hair.

Surely the idea that women should wear make-up but men shouldn't suggests that women are naturally inadequate and can't look "good enough" without putting make-up on? That to me seems a little damaging.

It's a fundamental part of your outfit and expressing yourself. I think it's strange to not make an effort. I don't get people saying "I wear it for nights out" either, why? Why do you only want to look awesome then? Do you not want to look your best all the time?

I don't have a problem with men wearing make up. And I don't think anyone should wear it. And I don't think people are not good enough without it. I just think everyone looks better with makeup, particularly women when applied in an interesting style.

Latest