The Student Room Group
Well considering the majority of people who apply to cambridge are probably fully capable of getting the A*, i'm not sure thats the case.

And if people think in the same way you have, the opposite could be true. People could think that loads of people will be appling to oxford since it's 'easier' and so apply to cambridge to try and avoid the mass competition.

Or people could apply to university based on wanting to do a particular choice, and not just want to say "Oh yes I went to oxford/cambridge, aren't I clever?"
Reply 2
ForGreatJustice
Well considering the majority of people who apply to cambridge are probably fully capable of getting the A*, i'm not sure thats the case.

And if people think in the same way you have, the opposite could be true. People could think that loads of people will be appling to oxford since it's 'easier' and so apply to cambridge to try and avoid the mass competition.

Or people could apply to university based on wanting to do a particular choice, and not just want to say "Oh yes I went to oxford/cambridge, aren't I clever?"

yes i see where you are coming from. I think my case is for those where both unis offer the same course and they consider themselves 'weaker candidates' hence they'll edge slightly towards oxford.
I made a poll on this and the results were roughly 60:40 between Cambridge:Oxford. That's just on TSR however, which is unlikely to be a true reflection of the country as a whole, but it at least shows some sense of an equal split between the two.

I don't think people will see the A* as a particularly big hurdle to overcome - in fact some may see it as a challenge, and therefore deliberately pick Cambridge because it's got the "harder" entrance requirements.
Reply 4
Not necessarily. For most successful applicants (at least sciences), the A* won't be an issue.
Also, the UMS score is a good thing for those who have high scores and besides they've always done it

I didn't even consider which was easier to get into, I just applied for the one with the course I wanted.
I'd imagine at least some people do the same, rather than playing the numbers game.

Besides, for 'weaker candidates' getting an A* should be easier than convincing the tutors that you deserve a place
Reply 5
Cambridge have always been able to see UMS scores, and have for years made offers conditional on getting over 90% in a certain subject (admittedly these weren't that widely used), its just not been labelled A*.
Reply 6
ForGreatJustice

Precisely.
And yay - future Petrean :teeth:
Xerophelistica
I made a poll on this and the results were roughly 60:40 between Cambridge:Oxford. That's just on TSR however, which is unlikely to be a true reflection of the country as a whole, but it at least shows some sense of an equal split between the two.
Its not a true reflection of anything (A TSR poll being so leaky one may as well not bother) Except that TSR has more Cambridge students and applicants.
Reply 7
The recession is kicking in now. It had hardly started this time last year and the system has been straining, just think what it'll be like this time around...
Reply 8
I can imagine that a fair few people who achieve 90%+ at AS will pick Cambridge as they will imagine that there will be less applicants due to the higher standards and that they therefore have more chance of getting in.

I don't think it'll make a great deal of difference to be honest, they try to make offers to the best applicants around anyway and will continue to do so. I imagine that most of the people who turn up at Cambridge will have 90% on at least one A-level anyway
Reply 9
I am choosing Cambridge because I have a good feel for it and I generally like the course structure which is similar to Oxford's but I like Smaller it is compared to Oxford so I guess that's another reason?

And I went as far as contacting admissions tutor's if it was advisable for me to apply through CSAS due to circumstances and how not so good my grades turned out because of that..

I'm still put off of applying (everyone has done so well this year! Standards are absolutely high) but I'll give it a go and make it a nice experience!

But to answer your question, the A* could probably deter people. I mean it almost got me.. -.-"

Latest

Trending

Trending