The Student Room Group

Please help me make a decision

I decided a while ago that instead of going to Southampton to study physics I should take a SECOND gap year and apply for maths. My ideal unis would be Cambridge or Bristol. I've already told Southampton but given that I keep receiving letters/e-mails from them and the department I don't think they've taken me off yet. I'm starting to be scared of taking a second gap year.. gap years are lonely (at least it will be for me because I have to do resits in January so for the next 3 months I'll be at home). I'm scared that I might fall back into old habits - maybe the grades wont go up? Maybe I won't get into a better uni? Maybe maths is too hard for me and physics would be better? I'm very scared right now. Should I just go to Southampton and not waste any more time? Or spend another year at home, be 20 when I start, be lonely for the coming months..
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
It's sort of hard for anyone to make your decision for you, as it seems so closely linked to your own personal thoughts and fears.

What are your grades?
Reply 3
Melz0r
It's sort of hard for anyone to make your decision for you, as it seems so closely linked to your own personal thoughts and fears.

What are your grades?

BBB but that's cos I went really off the rails. I know I'm capable of A*A*A but I'm worried I might fall back to old habits and underachieve again.
Reply 4
O-Ren
BBB but that's cos I went really off the rails. I know I'm capable of A*A*A but I'm worried I might fall back to old habits and underachieve again.

It's kind of up to you really isn't it? If you really want it, you'll work for it. I know that's not much help, but we can't tell you whether you'll manage to apply yourself or not :o:
Reply 5
Melz0r
It's kind of up to you really isn't it? If you really want it, you'll work for it. I know that's not much help, but we can't tell you whether you'll manage to apply yourself or not :o:

:o: I know. I guess I'm just scared of wasting the young years of my life..although 20 is hardly old is it. I think I'm one of those people who over analyses every life decision and whatever decision I make I always find reasons for it being the 'wrong' one.
Reply 6
Why are you thinking of choosing maths over physics?
Reply 7
Ejit
Why are you thinking of choosing maths over physics?

I would like to know that too.

Stay with Physics, it's better than Maths. :yep:
Reply 8
Lol. I'm interested in both maths and theoretical physics - so I thought a maths degree would be best because it leaves the option open to go either in the direction or pure maths of theoretical physics.
Reply 9
There are lots of financial perks of starting your degree after age 21 should you get into Cambridge. The age gap between other UGs is sometimes a bit annoying though.

Latest

Trending

Trending