The Student Room Group

Changing unis after a year?

Hello :smile:

Has anyone here done this or know anyone else who has?

Is it quite easy to do if you're just wanting to change to pretty much the same kind of course and either carry on or start afresh? I know a lot of courses the first year is mainly getting to grips with things and so a transfer shouldn't do too much harm.

Reason I'm asking is I'm starting my course this year insanely late after being indecisive as to whether I wanted to take a gap year or go straight to uni and am going to my home uni rather than one away from my hometown. Would I be able to transfer easily next year and have a true uni experience - freshers etc?

Thanks for reading :smile:
I guess you shoud try apply again by UCAS. Write a new personal statement saying why you changed your mind.
But do you have qualifications to apply for the chosen course? Otherwise you could be invited for an interview to show your skills in a specific domain.
What is more, you might be asked for a permission to apply to another uni from your tutor.
I've switched after a year but the only way I could do it was to restart from scratch as some unis won't allow second year entry. Look at individual unis and check their policies before deciding it's what you want to do.
Reply 3
It's possible but not 'easy to do' :no:
Many unis don't allow it and second year entry wouldn't give you a true freshers week experience either really.
If you don't want to go to you hometown uni I'd advise having a gap year and re-applying, because although transferring is sometimes possible it's not a good idea to go to a university intending to do so.
My friend quit Cambridge after a year and went straight into the second year at Warwick (for English) so yeah it is possible :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending