The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

decent footwear is critical if u r going to a forresty type area
Urban Protocol
Fair enough.

Airsofting is pretty much paintballing but with more emphasis on realism and tactics. As such the locations tend to be places like abandoned buildings, woodland, etc, and the guns are replicas of real firearms. They range from pistols to heavy machine guns, theres always a wide range whenever you go, last time I went there was someone with an M60 machine gun, couple of guys with WWII guns, even a bloke dual wielding pistols (who looked like Chuck Norris incidentally). I'd definitely recommend it over paintballing, especially as it's pretty much the same price :smile:

That sounds pretty damn good - I'd probably be crap tbh but it's just a bit of fun eh? :smile: I'm gona look into it I think. Shame I don't have a very active group of friends really, might ave to steal my brother and co :p:

Best see how tomorrow goes... Can't believe I have to be up so early :frown:
Clubber Lang
decent footwear is critical if u r going to a forresty type area

Hmm, this is something I don't have. I've only got either general crappy loose fitting trainers (I have small feet :sigh: ) or walking boots :p:

Oh well, I don't think it's gona be too forresty as there's pretty much only countyside near me - I guess I'll just learn for next time!
well i would take the trainers because you want to be easy to move around in

just be careful that it may be muddy as **** or that there may be a lot of stones/wood on the ground
Probably £40 will cover playing and balls.

Make sure you and your mates buy a load of balls together, as it is cheaper to buy in bulk. Don't use paint grenades - I once saw one explode in someone's hand as he was about to throw it. He shouted and it covered his hand in red paint which looked like blood - scared the absolute **** out of me.

Aim slightly higher than who you're aiming for. Always carry extra balls in the little canisters they give you (go on your belt). If you are behind a wall or something, watch out for people trying to circle round and outflank you. If you are behind a wall and your enemy is as well, shoot over the top whilst exposing only your gun, and then have a cheeky peek to adjust your trajectory so that your balls are just going over the wall you know he is behind. Then pull your head back in, keep your gun in the same position; stop firing, wait until you hear fire so you know he has surfaced to shoot, and then fire back at him.

I could go on.

It doesn't hurt as long as you don't get hit at close range - so just make sure you don't!
Reply 25
In my experience, the people who tell you it "hurts like hell" are the gung-ho wallies who run out and abandon everyone else. All I can say is co-operate with your friends / allies, look for cover that will take you where you need to get to, and have fun!
If you take a thin zippy hoody or something to go underneath your overalls then that may help, maybe pad your bra if you're ahem, tender there? (Sorry if that sounded wrong..)
But yeah, its great fun, have a blast! no pun intended..
=D
probably a bit late now, but they will keep telling you do not take your goggles off no matter what - follow that advice

so many times did i want to take mine off last time i went because i oculdnt see a thing.

also the first time i went i got a paintball to the nose, which exploded all over my helmet, covering some of my view and it also went into the nose vents and into my mouth, lol
Reply 27
Urban Protocol
meh paintballing's for 12 year olds, if you want a real man's sport, try airsofting! what would you rather be doing - Firing paint at each other in an arena with little shiny guns? Or creeping through an abandoned office block with an AK47? :tongue:

Paintballing - Something for guys to do at the weekends (You cant even go paintballing at 12 afaik, its 16 in some places)
Airsoft - Guys who take things WAY too seriously running around in fake army uniforms from what i've seen.

And I would pad up, I wasn't too bad though, apart from when we were doing free for all with the safety distance disregarded and we had a surrender or you can keep firing thing going.
Was hiding behind a tyre, blind firing, 2 guys flanked me and started firing, one of my mates was between me and them but he tapped out and they were both firing at me, stupidly I thought I would keep firing back at 2 of the "pro" guys with the better guns and probably wearing proper padding, got hit on the visor and mouthpiece until I couldn't see, kept firing, then lowered my head from reflex (as you do when things are flying at your face)....I had 2 HUGE lumps on my head for a week.
As long as you don't make my mistake you're fine :P
Reply 28
Paintballing not really painful just a slight sting, though with adrenalin pumping you don't notice it too much, its stings quite a bit more up close, most places say strictly no shooting within 1-3metres, i think it varie. I use to play for a team a few years back, using guns that would fire 30+ balls a sec, i think most paintballing places have guns limited to 7 a sec, always take extra money, like someone said, 700 balls is quite easy to go through, once your in game you'll just want to shoot anything that moves!

Most places provide you with mask & overalls, so maybe take an extra top, otherwise you'll overheat while running around, take old trainers/trackies if you've got them.
Clubber Lang
probably a bit late now, but they will keep telling you do not take your goggles off no matter what - follow that advice

so many times did i want to take mine off last time i went because i oculdnt see a thing.

also the first time i went i got a paintball to the nose, which exploded all over my helmet, covering some of my view and it also went into the nose vents and into my mouth, lol

I'm glad I checked back - Thanks!!

Everyones been really helpful, I will be eternally greatful!!

I'm off now!! :excited:
I didn't need extra paintballs but I still money just in case as it is quite expensive if you need them.

If it's not too hot then wear some padding, I got shot in the chest and having a big bruise on your boob is not attractive :no:

Tactics, keep low and don't waste ammo. Also remember shots to the head don't count, I got hit on the head (with a nice mouthful of paint) stood up not realising and then got shot at from all angles so :nn:
"Anybody got any game tactics to share?"

Don't get hit.

Paintballs can be quite expensive, so take some money with you.

Buy some grenades as well, those are fun! :biggrin:
Reply 32
shorty.loves.angels
I'm going tomorrow and haven't been before :excited:

I've looked through threads for some info but most are either a few years old or not answering my questions...

How much money is a sensible amount to take ?

Do I honestly need to pad up? I've heard it's not so painful and gloves are the only real requirement.

Should I eat before I go? Starting at 9am so I'll never manage to eat much before then, will I starve? lol.

Anybody got any game tactics to share? :smile: Don't wana be rubbish and most of my mates have been before!

Any other advice is massively appreciated!

Since it's your first time you might get a bit trigger happy, altho try not to obviously, i'd say take around £40 extra.

Wear clothes you'll be comfy running around in, i mean really comfy, because running around with the overalls on top is gonna increase un-comfiness lol. Dont worry about padding, all places do some kind of armor that you have to pay extra for, but if you're that worried then it's worth it. You won't get anything worse then a bit of soreness and a few bruises from close range shots.

Gloves are a great idea, every time i've been without some i've been shot on the finger tips, the only shot more painful was in my gonads from close range :s

You don't have to eat an especially big brekky, they'll provide food there, but it's a good idea to take some snacks with you, as buying snacks can be expensive in some places.

Tactics wise, first of all listen to the marshalls, they can be pricks, but they have the power to ban you from the rest of the day. DO NOT hold your gun over your shoulder with the muzzle pointing skywards, someone always does this, their hopper pops open, and they lsoe a lot of expensive paintballs.

Don't put wt balls in, it may seem like a good idea, but if your gun jams they ma decide not to give you a new one.

Think about what you're doing, come up with a team plan, gather 2 or 3 friends within your team and stick together, take advantage of cover etc.

HAVE FUN!
Reply 33
Keep your mouth shut, if you get hit in the air vent bit of the helmet the paint sometimes will spray into your helmet and if you have your mouth open into your mouth and believe me it taste's disgusting.

tactic's I would say find a fat kid and use him as a shield :rofl: only joking just keep your head low (hurts like hell if you get hit in the head) and just find places with good cover.
How much money is a sensible amount to take ?
Depends on the site cost and your tactics. We charged £100 for 2000 paintballs. I could easily have gotten through twice that, but some people only used 500 (£20)

Do I honestly need to pad up? I've heard it's not so painful and gloves are the only real requirement.

Nope. It's not that painful unless it hits a really bony area (knuckles, collarbone).

Should I eat before I go? Starting at 9am so I'll never manage to eat much before then, will I starve? lol.
Again, depends on the site. We used to provide a free lunch. Check before you go. Take food with you; it's energy intensive.

Anybody got any game tactics to share? :smile: Don't wana be rubbish and most of my mates have been before!
Move. Don't be too scared. Offence is the best defence.

Pay attention to the goddamn marshals. They know their job, they've seen a lot more paint fly than you probably ever will. I used to do four days a week during peak season, and STILL people thought they knew better than I did.

KEEP YOUR MASK ON UNLESS THE MARSHAL SAYS OTHERWISE. If the marshal isn't wearing his/hers, chances are it's safe for you not to wear yours, otherwise, keep it on. It may steam up, but keep it on. If you keep taking it off, you're going to suffer punishment (our site would shoot you in the bum, then ban you for a game. Anything more would get you banned for the day).

Make sure you keep your hopper the right way up with both ends plugged. Someone ALWAYS drops paintballs. Don't pick paintballs up either; they're hygroscopic and will block your gun. Make sure you listen in the briefing as well; the amount of people who don't, and then complain when they forget to take their safety off is unreal. Speaking of which, keep your safety on unless you're playing.

I know this probably seems a lot, but it's all simple stuff. I swear, the general public as a whole are stupid. Try not to be stupid and the marshal will be good to you, and probably let you cheat a bit. If you're an idiot, they're just going to start hating you.

(I worked at a paintball site for a year, so any other questions, just quote or PM me)
Reply 35
Game tactics? Here are some things I learned, as a girl on a team with several teachers against a group of rather agressive year 12 boys.

If you run out of ammo, do not shout '****! I've run out of ammo!' at the top of your voice. You will get hit. A lot.
If the last game involves standing in a circle and using up any leftover ammo, don't play this game. You will get hit. A lot. From close range.
Don't just stay in one place cowering. You'll get murdered the minute someone finds you, and your team will also lose.
If the game with the medic is played, do not volunteer to be the medic. The gun is taken off you and you are essentially cannon fodder. Your neck, which may well be exposed, will look like it is covered with about 20 hickeys for about a month.
Actually pay attention when they tell you how tp put the gun on safety mode. I didn't, and after my third time firing at the ground, faced a firing squad.
If you are hding behind a relatively small object, don't lie down if possible. Someone comes round the side and your arse will get quite a shock.

Paintballing is a lot of fun. I enjoyed it despite severe bum-bruising.
Rosie0914
Game tactics? Here are some things I learned, as a girl on a team with several teachers against a group of rather agressive year 12 boys.

If you run out of ammo, do not shout '****! I've run out of ammo!' at the top of your voice. You will get hit. A lot.
If the last game involves standing in a circle and using up any leftover ammo, don't play this game. You will get hit. A lot. From close range.
Don't just stay in one place cowering. You'll get murdered the minute someone finds you, and your team will also lose.
If the game with the medic is played, do not volunteer to be the medic. The gun is taken off you and you are essentially cannon fodder. Your neck, which may well be exposed, will look like it is covered with about 20 hickeys for about a month.
Actually pay attention when they tell you how tp put the gun on safety mode. I didn't, and after my third time firing at the ground, faced a firing squad.
If you are hding behind a relatively small object, don't lie down if possible. Someone comes round the side and your arse will get quite a shock.

Paintballing is a lot of fun. I enjoyed it despite severe bum-bruising.

But it's hilariously funny for the marshals to watch, unless you've been an awful group and they're behind schedule, in which case they'll skip it anyway.

If you've been an ace group and it's a sunny day, the marshal will occasionally join in (I did, anyway). Please, if the marshal does this, don't just chase the marshal. Out of every single day I worked, those were the days I came back in pain... when you have an ENTIRE stag group following you, each with about fifty paintballs left, you know you're in trouble.
Reply 37
Urban Protocol
meh paintballing's for 12 year olds, if you want a real man's sport, try airsofting! what would you rather be doing - Firing paint at each other in an arena with little shiny guns? Or creeping through an abandoned office block with an AK47? :tongue:

Someone obviously hasn't heard of milsim paintball.

and more:

http://www.a5og.net/5-photo-gallery/
Reply 38
Ice_Queen
But it's hilariously funny for the marshals to watch, unless you've been an awful group and they're behind schedule, in which case they'll skip it anyway.

If you've been an ace group and it's a sunny day, the marshal will occasionally join in (I did, anyway). Please, if the marshal does this, don't just chase the marshal. Out of every single day I worked, those were the days I came back in pain... when you have an ENTIRE stag group following you, each with about fifty paintballs left, you know you're in trouble.

Oh yeah it was hilarious! The marshalls didn't join in until four people had had a go and all gone for the same guy, when the marshalls came in and allowed the kid they were picking on to stand in front of each of them for a free shot. The marshall then took a shot at each of them. Was pretty funny.

There was one where we had to turn to the right and shoot, then the left. I had to shoot my English teacher in the thigh from like 4 feet away.
Reply 39
nah doesnt hurt lol, stings a bit, dont wear padding its for wussies, where i went you could buy armor but thats just for girls i think.
try not to waste ammo because every shot you fire, your tank has less pressure and wont shoot so straight, and dont waste money on the grenades. be sneaky and dont be afraid to put ur hands up if your cornered or ull get owned at point blank.
its great fun you should like it if you enjoy stuff, way to get your adrenaline pumping is to try push forward and dodge the balls :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending