The Student Room Group

Quick questions about paintballing!

I'm going tomorrow and haven't been before :excited:

I've looked through threads for some info but most are either a few years old or not answering my questions...

How much money is a sensible amount to take ?

Do I honestly need to pad up? I've heard it's not so painful and gloves are the only real requirement.

Should I eat before I go? Starting at 9am so I'll never manage to eat much before then, will I starve? lol.

Anybody got any game tactics to share? :smile: Don't wana be rubbish and most of my mates have been before!

Any other advice is massively appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

It is incredibly painful and the helmets don't fully protect you; my friend was shot in the neck and there's still a mark there from a month ago. The shot stings a lot. It's a guy's game. :frown: You might enjoy it, but I'll never go again.

Take about a tenner; the lockers are extortionate.
meh paintballing's for 12 year olds, if you want a real man's sport, try airsofting! what would you rather be doing - Firing paint at each other in an arena with little shiny guns? Or creeping through an abandoned office block with an AK47? :tongue:
I wouldn't take any money unless it's not pre paid - maybe take like a fiver just in case...
Gloves would be v.useful specially as whenever I seem to go, it's cold...
Eat!!! You need energy
Tactics - don't get hit?! Don't be wasteful with your balls... hide well... make sure your team have good plans
Reply 4
Eat in the morning.
Don't bother padding up (they give you a thick overall and you will boil if you're running around all day).
Wear some good shoes.
Don't waste your ammo on unnecessary shots (it costs a lot to buy more).
Last but not least - Don't get shot :smile:
Reply 5
£30 or £40 (I think)

Do I honestly need to pad up? I've heard it's not so painful and gloves are the only real requirement.
I would, I made the mistake not to pad up and I had some awful bruises because of it (I rarely ever bruise!)

Should I eat before I go? Starting at 9am so I'll never manage to eat much before then, will I starve? lol.

Just eat, or do what ever you usually do, you're not going to war in iraq, plus it's more than likely they'll be plenty of breaks so maybe take a bag with snacks etc.

Anybody got any game tactics to share? :smile: Don't wana be rubbish and most of my mates have been before!

Just enjoy it and make sure you have a laugh. Only tactic I can think of is don't hold trigger for automatic fire, fire one at a time.
Reply 6
I canney remember the sort of money I took - but you'll want money for extra balls, maybe some food ect. PAD UP! Not only (If you're anything like me) you're gonna be diving and getting down and dirty in the dirt you'll want the extra padding. And to be shot in the chest, being a girl 'n' all really isn't fun so if they offer chest padding, take it!

Most of all, enjoy it! I absolutely loved it, despite being a one armed bandit! :laugh:
Paintballing isn't that painfull really....

Tactics- depends on where you are playing, when you and your team mates are shooting other people from different bases...try sneaking round them and shooting from behind.

I managed to shoot an unexploded paintball from close range at someones crotch before :rofl:
Reply 8
A mate of mine got shot in the throat. His brother who was there is a Doctor so one emergency tracheotomy later and he was ok could have been very different though.
omg yes, you need padding. You will get bruised as hell.
shorty.loves.angels

Any other advice is massively appreciated!

Assuming you have paid for your balls - take some extra to buy more - both time I have been I have used at least 700 and I was taking it easy - some peopel were using thousands.

Yes it can be painful, wear gloves, aside from that just wear fairly thick clothes, like jeans or something. you will prob get bruises.

yes, its high energy so have some breakfast.

as aobe, some people just spend the game putting out hundreds of paintballs and tis very hard to do anything effective, so just do whatever you want. a lot of people tend to hide and stay in as long as they can.
Urban Protocol
meh paintballing's for 12 year olds, if you want a real man's sport, try airsofting!

Lol, well it was a friend's decision - got a deal or something :dontknow: Apparently him and his mates/ fsmily love it!

Wana tell me about airsofting? I've heard of it :smile:
Reply 12
It can be transiently painful, especially if the paintball doesn't explode. How much you 'pad up' depends on how much you're willing to man up and take it.
also some palces over provide masks that cover your face (i.e you can shoot someone in the back of the head

and some places provide full head masks.

the last place i went to only provided face maskes but they provided material padding that you could wrap around your head (like a balaclave) to pad it - but that was rubbish!
Reply 14
It's only really painful when you're shot at close range. If it's a prepaid deal its still worth taking a little bit of money so you have the option to get extra paintballs.
I was a bit rubbish when I went. My only advice would be to try and use cover effectively, and not do what I did and stupidly try to storm a hut that has open doors and windows (shot four times at close range lol)!
Reply 15
It might sting if you're hit, especially if its cold, but doesn't last long. I haven't worn gloves in the past, but my hands were freezing, and I've only ever been in December.

Wear loose clothes and get overalls that are bigger than what you'd normally wear. It won't hurt as much. Some people really seemed to feel getting hit, it wasn't that bad for me.
Money-wise, it depends. For me, I usually go to a place where it is £40 for the day + 500 paintballs. I usually need 10-30 pounds more depending on how twitchy I am.

DON'T PAD UP. This was one of the things that most of the marshalls have told me. Padding creates more body heat which means the mask will steam up more.#

Yes, eat.

As for tactics, it also depends. If it's a "one hit and you're out" thing then play conservatively - hide and generally be cautious. If it's a "if you're hit then go back touch "object" and you're back in" then be aggresive: firstly, it freaks the other team out; secondly, the team with people playing like this usually win against the team of the "cautious" players.
Take some extra money for buying extra paintballs. When we went there were guys there filling up and using hundreds of paintballs every round. We were given a box between 10 or 12 people while other teams had one box per member. They were paying a lot of money each though.
shorty.loves.angels
Lol, well it was a friend's decision - got a deal or something :dontknow: Apparently him and his mates/ fsmily love it!

Fair enough.

shorty.loves.angels
Wana tell me about airsofting? I've heard of it :smile:

Airsofting is pretty much paintballing but with more emphasis on realism and tactics. As such the locations tend to be places like abandoned buildings, woodland, etc, and the guns are replicas of real firearms. They range from pistols to heavy machine guns, theres always a wide range whenever you go, last time I went there was someone with an M60 machine gun, couple of guys with WWII guns, even a bloke dual wielding pistols (who looked like Chuck Norris incidentally). I'd definately recommend it over paintballing, especially as it's pretty much the same price :smile:
Make sure you have id, you might want to take cash for paint/smoke grenades but their generally 18 restricted
Dont pad up it can make it difficult to move and make your fire clumsy.
Note paintballs can sometims drift left or right a fair bit especially over long range.
Always seek cover, if theres no cover near by just hit the deck don't be afraid to crawl and never go charging in
Try to have fun mainly, paintballs an unpredictable thing to do first time you could come out feeling like a battlefield god or have never got a single hit and decide you never want to do it again. If your playing with inexperienced players you will have to put up with cheaters and general a-holes especially if its a team thing and their with friends. Be careful near refs I've had a couple that keep paintballs and a gun so that if they get hit accidently they have an excuse to use it to spray whoevers in their line of sight.
Just remember that paintball isn't close to realistic and try to have fun even if the crowd your playing with is terrible.

Latest

Trending

Trending