The Student Room Group

Hardest A-levels

Scroll to see replies

Languages are the biggest step up
an E at a-level is the equivalent to an A* at GCSE
at least other A-levels appear to have some common ground!

Ive done maths physics psychology too maths i found near impossible!

it depends on the person but go for what you want to or need to do for your future!
Reply 81
Physics and Chem deffo!
art, product design, music and english literature is hard on your free time

all the academic subjects like maths and biology are hard on your sanity i hear
Reply 83
unknown435
WhIch A-level subjects are the hardest

I wanted to know, i was thinking of taking the harder subjects

i do bio chem and maths yet i find english f***ing hard and the others not too bad at all.

why, you ask? because i realised that i frickin hated english after i started my course so now find it ridiculously difficult to apply myself/ concentrate/think/ be happy and therefore english is a hard as it can get for me. the others, however, may be challenging to most but i find them sooo interesting so i am happy to go a little further than whats required to understand things and i concentrate hard every lesson with ease. plus science homeworks are generally easier than a load of essyas... word!

MORAL OF THE STORY: do the the subjects you like, not how 'hard' you think they are or else the ones that you dont like will become very very hard whilst the ones that you do like will always be easy.

her endeth the lesson.
Physics, maths, f.maths and chemistry. I take Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Biology is the easiest by a mile then Chemistry and then Physics.
Reply 85
is ict hard ??
COMPUTING has to be the hardest A-level. I am doing Maths, FMaths, Physics and DT but they are no way near to computing
Reply 87
English / history / biology
Reply 88
Hehe I took Bio, Chem, History and Physics without maths:smile: Wasnt toooo bad though, but I would say Physics, Chemistry and History are the hardest because most people seem to get A's in maths in the end.
Reply 89
****. and there's me doing all science maths and languages :P
Reply 90
Generally speaking, a decent rule of thumb is that the subjects that were around 30 years ago are the hardest (with the exception of computing). So no general studies or stuff like that.
But really, are you looking to do the hardest ones or are you looking for a combination that universities will respect? If you're going to apply for sciences at a top uni, you should be looking at taking 3 sciences & maths. Likewise, with an art or language subject they'll be looking for essay subjects.

What you should REALLY not do is take two essay subjects and two sciences. That way, whatever you apply for, it'll look like you don't really care.
blipflip
Generally speaking, a decent rule of thumb is that the subjects that were around 30 years ago are the hardest (with the exception of computing). So no general studies or stuff like that.
But really, are you looking to do the hardest ones or are you looking for a combination that universities will respect? If you're going to apply for sciences at a top uni, you should be looking at taking 3 sciences & maths. Likewise, with an art or language subject they'll be looking for essay subjects.

What you should REALLY not do is take two essay subjects and two sciences. That way, whatever you apply for, it'll look like you don't really care.

:confused: What if you're applying for Law or something with less stringent "subject guidelines"? That advice seems a bit silly to me.
HighSkies
I like it too but it doesn't stop it from being hard! :p: AS -> A2 is a jump, GCSE -> AS isn't. I agree in what you're saying- I always found physics hard and couldn't wait to drop it! It just never made much sense to me. :s-smilie:

I was quite worried about AS being loads harder, I was expecting much worse! It's next year I've got to look out for then lol!
If you are rock solid , you take Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemsitry, Biology and History then any University will be impressed all to A2.
sylarfangirl
Languages are the hardest A levels I do, German definitely being harder than French. :smile:

EDIT: I take it back. French is fine, it's German that's a fiendishly difficult subject. It's the grammar. D:

Wouldn't be so sure. I'm find French grammar infinitely more complicated and illogical compared to the German.
I found langauages quite simple actually (though I only did Spanish at AS to be fair). History's a bitch at the moment but i love it :love:
unknown435
is ict hard ??

No ICT is not hard, its just got 2 blooming long pieces of coursework which are likely to be around 200 pages or more. Each!

Computing on the other hand is much harder, they just throw you into the vast world of programming and expect you to know what language you want to do and how to use it...
The theory is also hard, mainly because you need to answer questions exactly and there is little room for variation in what you say.

Just some numbers for you, my computing class droped from 15 at A/s to 5 for A2 :smile: and only two of the 15 got an A at A/s, (one being myself :p: )

However, I enjoy computing and despise Physics a lot more!
You will find the subjects you hate are the most difficult.
Reply 98
Silence_seeker
You will find the subjects you hate are the most difficult.

So true, i find that if you're doing subjects you enjoy it makes you want to work hard to get good grades.
Well that's just from my experience. :smile:
chemistry and further maths

Quick Reply

Latest