The Student Room Group

Oxford deadline...What is the last possible time and date I can send UCAS off?

Hi guys,

Bit of a weird question, I have a draft of my P.S done, its quite good, however, my careers teacher (he's also the UCAS admin person at my school) doesn't always have time to check my PS, he also hasn't written anyone's ref yet! There are 3 other's who are applying to Oxford from my school this year and no references have been done.

So my Personal statement should be done by this Tuesday evening, Wednesday at the latest. What is the last possible time and date I can give it in? The deadline is the 15th of October, does that mean 23:59 on the 14th of October or 23:59 of the 15th of October?

Thanks

HamzaB
It means 23.59 on 15th October (contrary to what people would have you believe).
Reply 2
Self Preservation Society
It means 23.59 on 15th October (contrary to what people would have you believe).

Thanks for that, well that gives me exactly an extra day.

Also, some people have told me that it doesn't matter when you send off your UCAS to Oxford as long as it's by Oct 15th. What I mean is, is that does everyone get equal preference in regards to when they applied? So someone who applied on Oct 14th would get his/her UCAS looked at in the same way as someone who applied on September 30th?
Reply 3
hamzab

Also, some people have told me that it doesn't matter when you send off your UCAS to Oxford as long as it's by Oct 15th. What I mean is, is that does everyone get equal preference in regards to when they applied? So someone who applied on Oct 14th would get his/her UCAS looked at in the same way as someone who applied on September 30th?

Thats what they say but obviously someone who sent theirs off really early would have already been looked at and so probably would seem more determined
hamzab

Makes no difference, otherwise the unis would be guilty of discrimination. I sent mine late on 15/10 last year and got an interview to Oxford at the same time as everybody else. Otherwise, what would be the point of having a deadline if it isn't a deadline?

Thats what they say but obviously someone who sent theirs off really early would have already been looked at and so probably would seem more determined

Complete and utter rubbish. How does submitting your app a day or two earlier than other people make you seem more determined? Anyway, Oxford often have to wait for the results of relevant admissions tests (BMAT, HAT, LNAT, etc) before they can interview, so often they can't really even start processing apps until those results are known.
Reply 5
Hartemop

Obviously not? How would they know that the reason you submitted it later wasn't because you were grieving over a family death or something?

Anything before 15th is given equal consideration.
Reply 6
Self Preservation Society
Makes no difference, otherwise the unis would be guilty of discrimination. I sent mine late on 15/10 last year and got an interview to Oxford at the same time as everybody else. Otherwise, what would be the point of having a deadline if it isn't a deadline?

Complete and utter rubbish. How does submitting your app a day or two earlier than other people make you seem more determined? Anyway, Oxford often have to wait for the results of relevant admissions tests (BMAT, HAT, LNAT, etc) before they can interview, so often they can't really even start processing apps until those results are known.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Also, does anyone know any good websites in order to help choose a college.

Lastly, I heard Oxford uses a system to judge applicants based on their schools performance, their ethnic backround, the area in which they live and another factor... is this true?
Reply 7
Hartemop

No, he wouldn't. Applications are only forwarded to colleges once the deadline has passed. They have no way of telling whether you submitted your application several weeks before the deadline or just a few minutes.
Woooop am liking this advice. I've been horribly ill since mid September ish and most of the other people in my year sent theirs off early last week and I've been worrying about mine coming later than most other applicants.
Reply 9
hamzab
Lastly, I heard Oxford uses a system to judge applicants based on their schools performance, their ethnic backround, the area in which they live and another factor... is this true?

Kind of... What they do is look at "contextual information" about candidates. Candidates who are flagged in at least three of the five categories are pretty much guaranteed an interview - but that's it. They don't get any more advantages beyond that.
Reply 10
Yes, one of these is based on where you live. I used to live on a Council estate (very bad part of South London) but now live in Surrey, not brilliant, but OK-ish. Can I include my other address as well?
Reply 11
hamzab
Yes, one of these is based on where you live. I used to live on a Council estate (very bad part of South London) but now live in Surrey, not brilliant, but OK-ish. Can I include my other address as well?

Well, you're not living there now, so presumably not.
Reply 12
hobnob
Well, you're not living there now, so presumably not.

Lol, I'm sure it would've helped a bit if I was living there now
Reply 13
hamzab
Lol, I'm sure it would've helped a bit if I was living there now

Well, as I said, you need to be flagged in at least three categories for it to actually matter. So unless you're also attending a school with a poor performance / have been in care for more than three months / have attended one of those access-y summer school programmes, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.
Reply 14
hobnob
Well, as I said, you need to be flagged in at least three categories for it to actually matter. So unless you're also attending a school with a poor performance / have been in care for more than three months / have attended one of those access-y summer school programmes, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Summer schools? Well I did attent a programme like that, it was run by the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (NAGTY) which was run at Warwick Uni. The top 5% of the kids in the country basically.

So I attended this Urban Scholars programme at Brunel University every saturday for 4 years (from year 8 - 11), they also had a Summer school?

I'm also applying for a Summer school thing with IGGY, International gateway for gifted youth (Its what NAGTY has turned into) at McGill University, theres also one at Warwick thay I may apply for.

Do they count?
Reply 15
hamzab
Summer schools? Well I did attent a programme like that, it was run by the National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (NAGTY) which was run at Warwick Uni. The top 5% of the kids in the country basically.

So I attended this Urban Scholars programme at Brunel University every saturday for 4 years (from year 8 - 11), they also had a Summer school?

I'm also applying for a Summer school thing with IGGY, International gateway for gifted youth (Its what NAGTY has turned into) at McGill University, theres also one at Warwick thay I may apply for.

Do they count?

No, just Sutton Trust summer schools and the Oxford Young Ambassador Scheme (whatever that is). Have another look at the link I gave earlier: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/contextual_data.html
Reply 16
Imagine your pc crashed just when you were about to send your UCAS and started responding at 00.01 on Oct 16th. :biggrin:
Reply 17
hobnob
No, just Sutton Trust summer schools and the Oxford Young Ambassador Scheme (whatever that is). Have another look at the link I gave earlier: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/contextual_data.html

Thanks for that, and thanks for your help.

So just to reiterate, deadline is 23:59 on 15th October?
Reply 18
shs9001
Imagine your pc crashed just when you were about to send your UCAS and started responding at 00.01 on Oct 16th. :biggrin:

Lol, yeah my deadline is 15:30 (When school finishes) on the 15th October InshAllah, so me and my careers teacher can press the send button lol

Latest

Trending

Trending