The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was illigal (or however you spell it).
Reply 2
lol, you could put more effort in than that.

If you personally want to have it done, i don't find it disgusting...
Reply 3
I thought it was a part of certain cultures? I wouldn't like it done!
Reply 4
errrrm so? :p: - do you find male circumcision disgusting then? How about neutering dogs? there are aload of stuff that you may find "disgusting" in this world! but I've heard that circumcision for women is dangerous but then again any operation is a gamble.
Reply 5
clairey87
I thought it was a part of certain cultures? I wouldn't like it done!

True, Only in africa.. I asked this girl about her experience lol.. she said that "i was a kid, and i didnt know that what they were doing with me.. i wasnt able to walk properly for a week.. and while we have sex, its a disaster, it so painful, we do not feel the sexual pleasure, they turn us to a child producing machine"
Reply 6
Da Mouse
errrrm so? :p: - do you find male circumcision disgusting then? How about neutering dogs? there are aload of stuff that you may find "disgusting" in this world! but I've heard that circumcision for women is dangerous but then again any operation is a gamble.

Male cirumcision is for health reasons, its hygenic, but female circumcision is dangerous, it can kill ..
Reply 7
true - but culture is an important aspect to some peoples lives - Losing my weee lil mauritian side to my culture would scare me! Dunno what life would be like without my chocolate pancakes lol :s: mmmmm chocolate pancakes......
Reply 8
For shock reasons... a lot of organisations refer to it as female genital mutilation which I think you'll agree, expresses the horrid nature of the practice in a far more suitable fashion.
Reply 9
che guevara
True, Only in africa.. I asked this girl about her experience lol.. she said that "i was a kid, and i didnt know that what they were doing with me.. i wasnt able to walk properly for a week.. and while we have sex, its a disaster, it so painful, we do not feel the sexual pleasure, they turn us to a child producing machine"

:eek: poor sweety! - well I'm gonna get a battered husband if he makes me have more than 2 children!
Reply 10
Mad Vlad
For shock reasons... a lot of organisations refer to it as female genital mutation which I think you'll agree, expresses the horrid nature of the practice in a far more suitable fashion.

mutation - huh :confused: I know that the clitorus is made from the same skin as the penis. Before a baby is born all babies have their own weee "cliteros" and if its a boy, then that grows into a penis and if its a girl, it remains as it is. Cant remember how to spell cliteros :s: sorry if i've misunderstood you :redface:
Reply 11
I think he meant female genital mutilation. It's a horrific practice of using a semi-sharp object to remove the clitoris completely and much of the surrounding area, occasionally including stitching up the actual opening. All without any anasthetic.

The equivilant of male circumcision would be removing the clitoral hood. This is actually cutting out the clitoris while completely conscious, probably the female eqivilant of cutting off the entire head of the penis.

There's a reason it's illegal in every civilised country.
Da Mouse
Dunno what life would be like without my chocolate pancakes lol :s: mmmmm chocolate pancakes......

Hardly a valid comparison is it? :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Drogue
I think he meant female genital mutilation. It's a horrific practice of using a semi-sharp object to remove the clitoris completely and much of the surrounding area, occasionally including stitching up the actual opening. All without any anasthetic.

The equivilant of male circumcision would be removing the clitoral hood. This is actually cutting out the clitoris while completely conscious, probably the female eqivilant of cutting off the entire head of the penis.

There's a reason it's illegal in every civilised country.

:redface: Whoops... yeah I did.
Reply 14
Drogue
probably the female eqivilant of cutting off the entire head of the penis.

Now that is a nasty thought, :eek: its making me cringe just sitting here.

There was a thing on tv about this once, i watched about 5 mins and then had to turn over. Was about cultures in africa doing it, sounded like they were killing the poor girl.
It's so horrible - I don't see why they shouldn't let the female have sexual pleasure, surely it'd make her want to have more children, kinda?
It disgusts me when cultures use women in this way - they see them as baby machines, not as creators of life.
Reply 16
Da Mouse

You obviously don't know what female circumcision is. It really is disgusting. It's also dangerous, painful and serves no purpose.

Try looking it up. Actually, just read this.

In some cultures, girls will be told to sit beforehand in cold water, to numb the area and reduce the likelihood of bleeding. More commonly, however, no steps are taken to reduce the pain. The girl is immobilized, held, usually by older women, with her legs open. Mutilation may be carried out using broken glass, a tin lid, scissors, a razor blade or some other cutting instrument. When infibulation takes place, thorns or stitches may be used to hold the two sides of the labia majora together, and the legs may be bound together for up to 40 days. Antiseptic powder may be applied, or, more usually, pastes - containing herbs, milk, eggs, ashes or dung - which are believed to facilitate healing. The girl may be taken to a specially designated place to recover where, if the mutilation has been carried out as part of an initiation ceremony, traditional teaching is imparted. For the very rich, the mutilation procedure may be performed by a qualified doctor in hospital under local or general anaesthetic.
I saw an article on this in one of the weekend papers a while back (but for obvious reasons I didn't read it all :dong: ). What is the actual point of this? It's so sick how they do it, I wonder why on earth they do?
englishstudent
I saw an article on this in one of the weekend papers a while back (but for obvious reasons I didn't read it all :dong: ). What is the actual point of this? It's so sick how they do it, I wonder why on earth they do?

To oppress women. In some cultures the virginity of a woman is considering very important. By sewing up a womans vagina, making it extremely painful for her to have sex and also taking away the clitoris which is her main sourse of sexual pleasure, you can be be pretty damn sure she won't be having pre-marital sex or affairs.
Reply 19
makeshiftwings
It's so horrible - I don't see why they shouldn't let the female have sexual pleasure, surely it'd make her want to have more children, kinda?
It disgusts me when cultures use women in this way - they see them as baby machines, not as creators of life.

aren't they the same thing?

Latest