The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ProStacker
I've got socks that have spent more time deployed than you did in uniform.

Sure you have princess.
Reply 41
Guys, this is supposed to be a forum to help, advise and encourage people to join the Armed Forces. A bit of light banter here and there doesn't go amiss but it's getting a bit serious now doncha think?
Im in exactly the same position. However we have gone through the whole 'i cant cope with you being in the army' and now hes leaving and Im ok with it. He has never been so focused and go high achieving in anything else apart from this and id much rather he was doing something he was great at then being in a job where he isnt reaching his potential.Hopefully I will be in uni in september and therefor it wont be so difficult as i will be preoccupied too. But if you hold him back,itll come back to bite you.
Reply 43
Wzz
Threads like this always confuse me a little.

You don't want to fight for your Queen and country, nor do you seem to want to fight for the government. You don't seem to think that the current conflicts we're involved in are justifiable, nor does your tone imply you support them.

So, why do you want to join?

If it's just to learn a trade, that's perfectly acceptable, and a very good reason. However, I hope you realise that you will be called on to fight wherever the government of the day decides you should, and regardless of opinions like you've shown in your last post there, you're going to have to go.

Likewise, it is a dangerous job and there are risks that you simply won't encounter anywhere else, so those need addressing. Have you really thought this through?

I know i would be required to fight for them, But its not them i want to go for its more like the way of life we have and for the normal hard working people we have in this country not the like of people who spend all of our money because they have a sumwhat undifined power over us. I just dont think the queen or parliment deserve the respect they get off of so many people and instead of paying like 12k for gardening that could be put to better use elsewher should be quite frankly aloud if anyone else was to do that it would be classed as fraud if im not mistaken. :smile: i might be wrong but awell :biggrin:
Yes i know all about riscks and stuff :smile:
Reply 44
Im in exactly the same position as you.
I have been going out with my boyfriend for 2 years in september.
At the start of our relationshipi knew that he was interested in the marines. When he commited himself to me, he promised he would not go to the army. However, his brother recently passed out and i think that my boyfriend feels as though he is missing out. He told me the last week that he wants to sign up sometime next year. This has broken my heart and i am finding it really hard to deal with. I love his so much, and we see each other every day, so not seeing him for a week at a time is going to be impossible. I dont even know what to do with myself anymore. :confused:
nicoooley
At the start of our relationshipi knew that he was interested in the marines. When he commited himself to me, he promised he would not go to the army. However, his brother recently passed out and i think that my boyfriend feels as though he is missing out. He told me the last week that he wants to sign up sometime next year. This has broken my heart and i am finding it really hard to deal with. I love his so much, and we see each other every day, so not seeing him for a week at a time is going to be impossible. I dont even know what to do with myself anymore. :confused:

I understand how you feel however, 10 years down the line do you want him to look at you and blame you for stopping him following his dream and reaching his full potential?

Joining the military does not mean that you do not have a good family life. At times it is hard and at times you might not see your loved one for months, however there are excellent support structures in place to help families.

I think the best thing you can do is be supportive. Go to the Armed Forces Careers Office with him, ask questions.

But dont hold him back it will more than likely backfire on you if you do!

If you need any more advice or want to talk send me a PM and I can fill you in. There are a fair few serving people on here that could help too.
Reply 46
nicoooley

You've got to remember that unless he is on operations or in basic training, you'll be able to stay in contact easily. Hell I even know a few blokes who take blackberrys and stuff on Exercise so they can keep in contact with girlfriends.

Ask has been said, support him and ask questions at the recruitment office.

Latest