The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Xbox Live no longer fully working - ISS Monkeys, please help!

Hallo.

I'm deciding to post this here as I know the very helpful ISS Monkeys sometimes check the forums.

I've recently downloaded the new Sky Player client for the Xbox 360, but I can't the service to work as it says it is unable to connect. I get the error code 0C01 / 0000 / 2741 and then the options to run a network troubleshooter or to just quit.

Would it please be possible for ISS to do whatever jiggery-pokery is necessary to allow the Sky Player to work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, there are technical issues and have removed it for the time being..should be back online soon though.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I've heard that people who managed to download the client before it was pulled should now be able to access the content. I may be jumping the gun, but because of the nature of ResNet I have my reservations about it working...
Reply 3
It's a Microsoft/Sky issue. It was launched yesterday and then pulled, hasn't resurfaced yet.
Reply 4
Give it some time, so they fix it.
Reply 5
Not quite the same, but **** it, whenever I use skyplayer the stream loads up then my browser window just closes itself.
Tried it in IE and Firefox and the same thing happens
I am teh confuse :frown:
Reply 6
what other programes are you using, specifically antivirus?

i had major problems with AVG Skype and Firefox not getting along togethere for a while....
Reply 7
I've been on the phone to Sky to try and get some help with the Sky Player error code that pops up when attempting to connect to it. After an hour of trying various methods to fix it, they arn't too sure of the problem and so have passed it upwards and have promised to call back with some solutions.

Any chance the ISS folks could call up Sky and attempt to sort this out? Sky seem pretty confident everything is working on their end.

Cheers.
Reply 8
best bet is to send an email to iss...
Reply 9
The service should be available to everyone now, and I'm still getting the error code...
Reply 10
Also, the new Halo Waypoint download doesn't work either, so perhaps they work similarly?
Reply 11
Ok now it's an ISS issue. I paid to download a movie on my xbox, it won't download and I can't refund the points (so theres £4 gone) and I can't download any trailers. Plus SkyPlayer won't connect.
Reply 12
There's now a lot of issues with Xbox Live, many of which you have to pay to access and currently can't.

-Facebook
-Twitter
-Last.fm
-Zune HD Marketplace
-Halo Waypoint
-Sky Player

Are all unaccessible. I'm going to send an e-mail to ISS' Service Desk again to see if they can help, and I will also message one of the ISS Monkeys to see if they can comment on the problem.

It's week 7 now so I would have hoped that they would have all the new students with teething problems sorted and out the way...
Reply 13
tnman
There's now a lot of issues with Xbox Live, many of which you have to pay to access and currently can't.

-Facebook
-Twitter
-Last.fm
-Zune HD Marketplace
-Halo Waypoint
-Sky Player

Are all unaccessible. I'm going to send an e-mail to ISS' Service Desk again to see if they can help, and I will also message one of the ISS Monkeys to see if they can comment on the problem.

It's week 7 now so I would have hoped that they would have all the new students with teething problems sorted and out the way...

Agreed. I'll also be sending an email as I'm paying for things I can't access.
Reply 14
PaddyD
Agreed. I'll also be sending an email as I'm paying for things I can't access.

I suggest you don't pay for anything else then - there is a pretty big chance these things will not be fixed on ResNet (as far as I know, nothing on ResNet has changed which would break any features). Xbox Live has always had certain features limited on ResNet and it appears that these new features are also limited.
I think ISS will be pretty unsympathetic, as they tend to say they don't support xbox stuff...

but I think it would be nice to know what will work and what won't, especially since people are spending money on things which turn out not to work. I didn't realise I couldn't download films using the network, so I lost a bit of money on that too. I'm not going to be TOO upset if it turns out it's never going to be possible to do that, but it would be cool to know in advance so people aren't losing money on it

Also, has anyone else found that MW2 doesn't work?
Reply 16
MW2 has been noted for not working,

some people have apparently got it to work, but more through luck...
see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1089529 for a bit more discussion,

but generally speaking it wont work because home users will not have set things up correctly..

sometimes it does apparently work though, so you just need to get lucky..
Reply 17
Got a reply...

I really would love to help you with this, unfortunately, ResNet will be detected by your Xbox as Strict NAT which limits what is possible on the network, and disallows these services working.

All of this is outlined in the ResNet Frequently Asked Questions, as are more details concerning this service.

https://resnet.lancs.ac.uk/faq.html#pilot

The main cause of the problem is that there are no dedicated servers for these services, including things like Modern Warfare 2, meaning that to connect to an online multiplayer game, people would have to set up a connection to your Xbox from outside of the University, which will not work. This is the same reason why you cannot run a game server from on campus on your PC to which people from off campus to connect to.

Sorry we cannot be more help.

I don't particularly understand what is meant by "dedicated servers", as I would have thought things like Facebook and Twitter would have such things...

Ho hum.
Reply 18
well the dedicated servers bit is more aimed at the games side of thing...

its more to do with the way the xbox sees the network and then fails to connect to it properly.. [that and the people that write the code for the aplications are often given a free raign and do 'silly' things because its easier on them...]

also, who replied to the message?
Reply 19
Charlotte, apparently. Why?

Latest

Trending

Trending