The Student Room Group

LLM... but funding problems.

Hi,

I'm in my final year of my LLB at the University of London. I was considering applying for the LPC this year, but am having serious doubts about whether I want to go into practice at all.

As such, I am considering going into academia and doing further study into aspects of law which I've found particularly interesting. This 'option' has been canvassed to me on a few occasions by tutors, though I am aware that many academics have been in practice before turning to research.

Only problem is, I am really worried about funding my masters because I want to stay in London (not being from here originally), it being more convenient for me, and advantageous in terms of family here as well as the high levels of legal expertise and institutions here.

I'm the first to go to uni in my family, and as they have limited resources, I can't really appeal to them. Obviously there is the choice of applying for a scholarship, but I'm not sure if I could get one, the number available being so rare.

I could take a gap year to save money up for a masters, but I am wary of this option, because I think it would be harder for me to maintain the momentum I have going here.. as vague as that may sound.

I have read the postgrad funding part of TSR, but I was wondering if anyone who's been in a similar situation can offer me any advice as to what my next steps should be?
Law is a subject funded by the AHRC, so keep an eye out for any AHRC funded studentships offered by the unis you're thinking of applying to.
The uni might have some departmental bursaries for your subject, too. These might not be openly advertised, though.

Aside from that, you could take out a Professional and Career Development Loan.
Definitely look into studentships at various universities. If your working on a high 2.1 (68%+) or a first class average you will probably obtain funding somewhere. Look all over- fund finder. There are a few small grants and also loans of around £1000-£2000 (without interest).

Latest

Trending

Trending