The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford application dilemma!

Sorry if similar threads have been posted before...

I’m interested in applying for a DPhil at Oxford to start 2010/11. However, I don’t think I’ll get my application in before the November 20th deadline, due to heavy workload/having to rush it/contact referees last minute (yes, I know I should have been more organised...). Plus, I’ve sent a couple of email enquiries to different supervisors at Oxford, but haven’t heard anything. Therefore, I don’t really feel confident in applying atm.

There’s a second deadline in January, although I realise that fewer places will remain then, which will only make it more competitive.
So, I was just wondering when people think it’s best for me to apply... is a rushed November application > better January one in terms of chances of offers?

Also, is the fact that I haven’t heard anything from supervisors in 4 days a bad sign, considering the fast approaching deadline? With other universities, I’ve either heard from supervisors soon after enquiring or not at all.

Thanks so much!
Its too late to start this year!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Oh yeah, sorry, I meant 2010/11!
Reply 3
Ultraviolet Midnight
Sorry if similar threads have been posted before...

I’m interested in applying for a DPhil at Oxford to start 2010/11. However, I don’t think I’ll get my application in before the November 20th deadline, due to heavy workload/having to rush it/contact referees last minute (yes, I know I should have been more organised...). Plus, I’ve sent a couple of email enquiries to different supervisors at Oxford, but haven’t heard anything. Therefore, I don’t really feel confident in applying atm.

There’s a second deadline in January, although I realise that fewer places will remain then, which will only make it more competitive.
So, I was just wondering when people think it’s best for me to apply... is a rushed November application > better January one in terms of chances of offers?

Also, is the fact that I haven’t heard anything from supervisors in 4 days a bad sign, considering the fast approaching deadline? With other universities, I’ve either heard from supervisors soon after enquiring or not at all.

Thanks so much!

January shouldn't put you at that much of a disadvantage - you'll just be coming up against the Jan applicants and those held over from November. Also remember that November decisions arn't given out until January anyway.

Re: supervisors - it's the middle of term for Oxford so they'll probably uber busy with teaching and research. 4 days is NOT a long time to wait in academic email/cyber space terms.

The bottom line is that you should NEVER rush a PhD application as it'll show through like a sore thumb. Proposals, references, making sure your samples of written work are good all take time and effort. Making sure that they're bang on will only help your application.

What subject are you applying for? As some subjects (think English) don't have a November deadline, only a January one.
apotoftea
January shouldn't put you at that much of a disadvantage - you'll just be coming up against the Jan applicants and those held over from November. Also remember that November decisions arn't given out until January anyway.

Re: supervisors - it's the middle of term for Oxford so they'll probably uber busy with teaching and research. 4 days is NOT a long time to wait in academic email/cyber space terms.

The bottom line is that you should NEVER rush a PhD application as it'll show through like a sore thumb. Proposals, references, making sure your samples of written work are good all take time and effort. Making sure that they're bang on will only help your application.

What subject are you applying for? As some subjects (think English) don't have a November deadline, only a January one.

Thanks so much for the advice! Has made me feel better about not rushing my application - I'm thinking it's probably better to go with the January deadline now.

Hoping to do a DPhil in the Biological Sciences, most of which seem to have three separate deadlines anyway!

Latest

Trending

Trending