The Student Room Group

Can I get into actuarial profession with a Music degree...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
So? Did you all have a good time?
I can't believe I'm about to do this in a thread where I've given so much advice out, but... Does anyone have any job hunting tips for those with a few years of GI actuarial experience? I really need to leave my current employers who are a bunch of deceitful, uncommunicative bull****ters. I'm wondering whether the job market's drying up or not because it's nearing December, but most jobs I've recently heard about from my recruitment agent of choice really haven't taken my fancy. I had one interview recently for a role I really liked the look of and was gutted when they turned me down, especially seeing as though the feedback was mostly excellent :frown:

I've made the schoolboy error of not filtering out the seven gazillion headhunters who now have various levels of details such as my phone number and email address. I swear I get at least 2-3 calls a day from private numbers at all hours of the day. Seriously, 8.30pm? My protip: find one or two reputable agents and stick with them.

All you young 'uns talking about going out all the time. I feel so old. I asked the DJ at our Christmas party (yes, in November) to turn the music down :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JohnnySPal
I can't believe I'm about to do this in a thread where I've given so much advice out, but... Does anyone have any job hunting tips for those with a few years of GI actuarial experience? I really need to leave my current employers who are a bunch of deceitful, uncommunicative bull****ters. I'm wondering whether the job market's drying up or not because it's nearing December, but most jobs I've recently heard about from my recruitment agent of choice really haven't taken my fancy. I had one interview recently for a role I really liked the look of and was gutted when they turned me down, especially seeing as though the feedback was mostly excellent :frown:

I've made the schoolboy error of not filtering out the seven gazillion headhunters who now have various levels of details such as my phone number and email address. I swear I get at least 2-3 calls a day from private numbers at all hours of the day. Seriously, 8.30pm? My protip: find one or two reputable agents and stick with them.

All you young 'uns talking about going out all the time. I feel so old. I asked the DJ at our Christmas party (yes, in November) to turn the music down :frown:

:console:

What sort of thing are you looking for? Can't recommend any good recruiters unfortunately, most of the ones I dealt with in the past didn't help me much.
Reply 983

PM me (particularly if you are interested in consultancy work)
Reply 984

Really sorry to hear that Johnny. Have you been looking long? Are the seven gazillion headhunters all completely useless? It sucks that the company you really liked turned you down, but if the feedback was excellent then it sounds like you're well-placed to get a job somewhere else appealing when something comes up. I don't really have a feel for how actuarial recruitment cycles work (aside from the obvious grad recruitment cycle, which is obviously not relevant here).

I do think that a lot about applying for jobs in general is about being in the right place at the right time, being interviewed by the right person, etc., so being turned down for that job could be more to do with there being another great candidate who for whatever reason was a slightly better fit to the company, or got along with their interviewer well, or whatever. I got a job in a surf shop when I was at school and the interview went something like this:
"I see you're planning to study English literature at university. I LOVE English literature!"
"Oh, you live in Wimborne! I LOVE Wimborne."
"I see that xyz - I LOVE xyz!"
At the end of the interview she told me I had the job on the spot, but I don't think it was because I was amazing (even though I was), it was because she liked things about me. I've no idea where I'm going with this really. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find something sooner or later. What sort of role are you looking for?

Also, speaking of annoying phone calls, I donated money to some charity that helps prevent forced marriage a while back, and for months they have been calling me constantly to tell me about the work they're doing. GO AWAY.

I'm older than you, granddad!

Original post by shamika
So? Did you all have a good time?

The dinner was really really good actually, had a great time. The mistake was going to the after-party - cringe cringe cringe. Unlimited wine is not something I should have.
Music can be very mathsy if you want it to be. Think about composing in atonality, (sets, things like that), and music technology is very maths based (acoustics, psychoacoustics). Why not do a project before you finish your degree which shows off your interest in maths through music?
Reply 986
Original post by Jelkin

The dinner was really really good actually, had a great time. The mistake was going to the after-party - cringe cringe cringe. Unlimited wine is not something I should have.

At the Amber Bar? Oh god what a dive, someone told me it was like that before I went... but I went anyway. Still, I was with good company so that made it bearable.
Quite enjoyed the actual ball, food was "meh" (though enjoyed the starter), but bumped into a girl I used to work with in Sainsbury's back in Glasgow and another girl I went to uni with, neither of which I knew had gone into actuarial work (and the former I hadn't seen in about 4 years) which was quite cool.
Would have had a much better time without this cold though mind, was mindful of keeping the alcohol intake to a level that wouldn't make my cold worse (did a good job too).
Roll on SIAS 2013!

Oh and annoying phonecalls, two callcentres seem to have got a hold of my office number and I get regular coldcalls from both about PPI and pension nonsense. I know enough about pensions thank you very much I think you've phoned the wrong person.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 987
Original post by munn
At the Amber Bar? Oh god what a dive, someone told me it was like that before I went... but I went anyway. Still, I was with good company so that made it bearable.
Quite enjoyed the actual ball, food was "meh" (though enjoyed the starter), but bumped into a girl I used to work with in Sainsbury's back in Glasgow and another girl I went to uni with, neither of which I knew had gone into actuarial work (and the former I hadn't seen in about 4 years) which was quite cool.
Would have had a much better time without this cold though mind, was mindful of keeping the alcohol intake to a level that wouldn't make my cold worse (did a good job too).
Roll on SIAS 2013!

Don't get me wrong, I love Amber. The gold walls? The lit-up dance floor? Rooms named things like Groovy Wonderland? What's not to love? It's just that I hugely embarrassed myself through being a massive drunk, and somehow I managed to do it when surrounded by colleagues (as opposed to in a dark corner somewhere). I set the scene for this early on in the evening through having a conversation where I asserted, "Alcohol makes your life better."
Original post by Jelkin
Really sorry to hear that Johnny. Have you been looking long? Are the seven gazillion headhunters all completely useless? It sucks that the company you really liked turned you down, but if the feedback was excellent then it sounds like you're well-placed to get a job somewhere else appealing when something comes up. I don't really have a feel for how actuarial recruitment cycles work (aside from the obvious grad recruitment cycle, which is obviously not relevant here).

Not that long, no. Few weeks, maybe? But I feel oh so trapped in my role now that the opportunities have dried up a lot over the last couple of weeks. I don't know whether it's the agency, or the job market, or something else that's causing it.

The thing I really hate about agencies is you can never know if they're bull****ting you or not. You can play them at their own game to an extent, but they're the ones with all the information. They can pass whatever info they have onto you as and when they please.

Original post by Jelkin
What sort of role are you looking for?

Ideally something related to GI in the London market, I think. I still enjoy my role, so I'm not after a massive change! Just a change of scenery and product lines, really. My employer has just given me a massive push.

Original post by Jelkin
Also, speaking of annoying phone calls, I donated money to some charity that helps prevent forced marriage a while back, and for months they have been calling me constantly to tell me about the work they're doing. GO AWAY.

Some Indian call centre got hold of every single number on our floor (or at least numbers of everyone around me). No one else was around at the time, so I picked up the phone on their behalf and talked to him a LOT of times. Not once did he recognise he was coming through to the same person in an office during work hours. Utter scumbags.

Original post by Jelkin
I'm older than you, granddad!

Yeah alright, stalky stalkerson!

Original post by Jelkin

Unlimited wine is definitely something we should have. I was relying on that at our Christmas party but the tab behind the bar afforded me a solitary bottle of beer. *****.

Did any TSR members spot anyone else at the ball, out of interest? I really ought to go one year, but meh I keep forgetting about it until the day before.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 989
Original post by Jelkin
Don't get me wrong, I love Amber. The gold walls? The lit-up dance floor? Rooms named things like Groovy Wonderland? What's not to love? It's just that I hugely embarrassed myself through being a massive drunk, and somehow I managed to do it when surrounded by colleagues (as opposed to in a dark corner somewhere). I set the scene for this early on in the evening through having a conversation where I asserted, "Alcohol makes your life better."

OMG how did I not know this place? Just saw the dance floor... awesome!

Original post by munn
Roll on SIAS 2013!

Haha, sounds like a good time. A load of people from my place were moaning about the price (I wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket. But I'm so old, it would be tragic if I went!)

Oh and annoying phonecalls, two callcentres seem to have got a hold of my office number and I get regular coldcalls from both about PPI and pension nonsense. I know enough about pensions thank you very much I think you've phoned the wrong person.

Best I heard was at an insurer that used to sell PPI, a claims management company would call every day at 11am encouraging people to make a claim... the person they were calling was the head of the team that reserved for that product!
Reply 990
Not that long, no. Few weeks, maybe? But I feel oh so trapped in my role now that the opportunities have dried up a lot over the last couple of weeks. I don't know whether it's the agency, or the job market, or something else that's causing it.

The thing I really hate about agencies is you can never know if they're bull****ting you or not. You can play them at their own game to an extent, but they're the ones with all the information. They can pass whatever info they have onto you as and when they please.

Ideally something related to GI in the London market, I think. I still enjoy my role, so I'm not after a massive change! Just a change of scenery and product lines, really. My employer has just given me a massive push.

Ah, that's not very long! You need to beaver away a lot longer before I can feel really sorry for you :bhangra: Honestly though, it's crappy that your employer is not treating you well. Do you want to stick in an insurance company or would you be interested in a consulting role? If you wanted to rake in the money maybe you could become a contractor :h:

Yeah alright, stalky stalkerson!

I only know that because once upon a time you mentioned how old you were (and in the context of its being really old) and it was younger than me. :u:

Unlimited wine is definitely something we should have. I was relying on that at our Christmas party but the tab behind the bar afforded me a solitary bottle of beer. *****.

I do not deserve unlimited alcohol at any time. It's tradition at my company that the new grads organise the Actuarial Christmas party and last year (my year) we ordered a bottle of wine per person because we got a good deal. Tragic, tragic.

Did any TSR members spot anyone else at the ball, out of interest? I really ought to go one year, but meh I keep forgetting about it until the day before.

Um. I met literally three people. Maybe one of them was a TSR user. I have photos of them - maybe I should post :evil:

Original post by shamika
Haha, sounds like a good time. A load of people from my place were moaning about the price (I wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket. But I'm so old, it would be tragic if I went!)

I doubt that! I think the oldest in our party was 34 or so and he had a whale of a time.

CT9 on Tuesday and Wednesday!
Original post by Jelkin

I do not deserve unlimited alcohol at any time. It's tradition at my company that the new grads organise the Actuarial Christmas party and last year (my year) we ordered a bottle of wine per person because we got a good deal. Tragic, tragic.

Tragic because not enough booze? :fuhrer:
Reply 992

A bottle of wine each does sound rather on the low side. Perhaps this was just for drinks before the meal?

Original post by Jelkin

CT9 on Tuesday and Wednesday!

I think you'll be on CT9 with a couple of guys from my work!
Reply 993

Original post by Slumpy
A bottle of wine each does sound rather on the low side. Perhaps this was just for drinks before the meal?

I don't mean like, each person drank a bottle of wine. I mean there was a bottle of wine per person including all the sensible grown-up types who only wanted a glass or two each as we went for pre-dinner drinks as well. There ended up being wine left over at the end and I was going around trying to finish it :redface:
Reply 994
Original post by Jelkin
I don't mean like, each person drank a bottle of wine. I mean there was a bottle of wine per person including all the sensible grown-up types who only wanted a glass or two each as we went for pre-dinner drinks as well. There ended up being wine left over at the end and I was going around trying to finish it :redface:

I once went to a hockey dinner, where we were allowed to bring a bottle of wine each. There were 27 of us, and a bunch of bottles of spirits for punch at the start. On inspection of the room the next day, there were 54 bottles of wine, and this is taking into account such sensible types.

That said, I'm pretty confident it wasn't me who was responsible for most of that:p:
Reply 995
Original post by Slumpy
I think you'll be on CT9 with a couple of guys from my work!

What are your guys called? We were split into two groups and I didn't speak to many people in the other group so not sure I would have met them, but worth a try!

I liked CT9 actually. The course, anyway. The stuff I was dreading (the legal stuff) had a really funny and engaging speaker so that I found it interesting, and a lot of it was quite interactive (e.g. the business game). Now I just have to tie it up with the test!
Reply 996
Original post by Jelkin
What are your guys called? We were split into two groups and I didn't speak to many people in the other group so not sure I would have met them, but worth a try!

I liked CT9 actually. The course, anyway. The stuff I was dreading (the legal stuff) had a really funny and engaging speaker so that I found it interesting, and a lot of it was quite interactive (e.g. the business game). Now I just have to tie it up with the test!

PMed. If your group was split like ours, you should have met them:p:

I found the course was good too! Test was lame (took ages), but not so hard. Plenty of googling helped!
Reply 997
Original post by Slumpy
PMed. If your group was split like ours, you should have met them:p:

I found the course was good too! Test was lame (took ages), but not so hard. Plenty of googling helped!

PMed back! I was about to say "small world" but I guess "small profession" would be more accurate.

I am going to drink wine with my test to make it more palatable. Good idea? :p:
Reply 998
Original post by Jelkin
PMed back! I was about to say "small world" but I guess "small profession" would be more accurate.

I am going to drink wine with my test to make it more palatable. Good idea? :p:

Seems fair, given the number of people from tutorials and stuff I met on CT9!
Well, I think it will definitely make it more palatable. Whether it's a good idea or not, I haven't tested, so I couldn't say:p:
Reply 999
I was speaking to the guy at SIAS who had the gold body paint yesterday... fun times :smile: Apparently the bouncers at Amber wouldn't let him in... what? Since when did that place get selective?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending