The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham: '70 per cent of the students I knew were burgled'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/crime-watch-how-secure-is-your-university-city-831847.html

The district in which students rent rooms in Nottingham is surrounded by an area of deprivation and high unemployment, according to Lewis Proudfoot, 24, a Nottingham graduate. This explains why students there are so vulnerable to crime. In his first year, Proudfoot lived in a self-catered flat. He had a window smashed but no one was able to enter because of the bars on the windows. In his final two years he lived in Kimbolton Avenue, which became notorious for crime. He was not burgled during this time, but someone did break in to his car. After graduation, he moved to an area on the edge of the city and again became a victim of crime when a burglar entered his house. He moved back in to the student zone and once more found himself the victim of a burglary. But he never felt unsafe in the city, he says.

Beka Diski, 22, another Nottingham graduate, says that everyone talked about crime because at that time the city had become famous for gun crime. "But coming from London I never felt unsafe," she says. "It's quite hard to feel that Nottingham is more dangerous than London. I was never burgled, but 70 per cent of the people I knew were."

Now this thread isn't me hating on Nottingham; I've got an offer there and the Uni is ranked better than all my choices. I've heard nothing but bad things about this uni, from what I've heard it's full of 'rahs' and 1st year of Uni is safe, when you move out expect to be robbed. I want to go to a top Uni but then again I like keeping my TV and my life.

Current Nottingham students: what are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Nottingham's a nice place and everyone I know who is at the uni loves it. I think it's unnecessary to keep badmouthing it :dontknow:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
lol the girl who said that she never got scared of feeling unsafe cos she lives in London echoes my attitude to "Shottingham" down to a tee. It makes me laugh when I hear about people who live in areas like Croydon getting scared to go to a certain Uni because of crime.
Some people love to sensationalise things especially danger.
I was never burgled, but 70 per cent of the people I knew were."

Did she know them before, after, or during her burgling spree?
If you don't look for the trouble you generally wont find it.

Just don't go thinking your superman and walk off into one of the estates with your laptop back or something.
JAgg
I've heard nothing but bad things about this uni

Then you clearly haven't been reading the threads in this forum.

I can't believe I'm even answering this stupid topic once again, in fact I'm not: In short, Nottingham is a great uni and a great place to be, if you're not stupid and stay out of any rough areas (as all cities have) then you'll be fine. None of my friends in lenton have ever been burgled or anything like it and those in Beeston have also never been bothered.

There is NO issue here. If you're not a complete idiot, you will be fine.

Don't come here and start quoting statistics, because statistics mean very little with no qualitative data and you won't make any friends in this forum by doing so.

It's a great uni and we current students say it constantly in the threads, but if you decide to be silly about it and chose another uni, Nottingham won't miss you as the courses are oversubscribed anyway. That's the blunt way of putting it.
****** look at Manchester :O
Reply 8
It seemed pretty 'rah' free when I looked round.
No, there's plenty of Rahs. But those friendship circles are easily avoided.

It's the Shottingham thing that I hate, it's just not true for the uni unless you go looking for trouble.
I've never been burgled, and the one friend I know who has, was only burgled because the builders working on the house were retards, and let someone into the house, just because he said, pretty much word for word, "I know the guy who lives here".
Reply 11
Christian_j
No, there's plenty of Rahs. But those friendship circles are easily avoided.

It's the Shottingham thing that I hate, it's just not true for the uni unless you go looking for trouble.

:rofl: I had to.

Check out the comments; they are actually arguing about post codes.
Thread starter, we live in London, i live in south london! It cant get worse than that crime wise!
I hear there's lots of black people in Nottingham
Reply 14
The_Musty_Piglet
I hear there's lots of black people in Nottingham

Don't troll the boards.

The intelligent people that are going to University (Nottingham or otherwise) don't want to see it!
I was not burgled or anything else when i was there and only about 5% of my friends were. It is no different to other big cities and you will not care when you are there, trust me. Why don't people look at all the other great things about Nottingham, like all the attractions that other cities dont have - always ranked one of the best shopping cities in the UK for example.

People get murdered at Yale and all US ivy league universities have some of the highest crime rates and their own police force - that doesn't put people off going there. Stop being wooses
I only know of one person who has been robbed so far, and that's because they live on the ground floor and left their window open. Weirdly enough, all they robbed was his laptop, despite his mobile phone, iPod and a few other small valuables being there as well.

Honestly, look at the postcode areas with the crime. If I remember rightly, it's about 3 post codes all just a little West of the city centre which are attracting all of the crime statistics, and the University isn't anywhere near said post codes.

Lenton, essentially Studentville, is fine for crime. I walk the streets of Lenton and Beeston most nights going to others' houses, and I've only ever twice seen a group of chavs or whatever, and they haven't been at all intimidating or suspicious-looking. Trying to look 'ard of course, but nothing more.

There are "rahs" and "toffs", but they often have their own friendship circles; it's not like you see them all day every day and it's not populated by them.
Reply 17
All 5 unis I've applied for are in the top 9, along with the place I live. There can't be much difference between those 6 cities...
Reply 18
I've never been burgled in the 2.5 years I've studied at Nottingham so far, and I would say less than 5% of the people I know at Notts have been burgled.
Reply 19
Those statistics come from Nottingham as a whole, Lenton, Beeston and Dunkirk, which is where all the students live, are very safe. They've installed CCTV cameras down the streets that used to be burgled quite frequently and as a result no burglarys happen down there now. Don't let the crime stuff put you off.

Latest

Trending

Trending