Halls of residence at imperial

Scroll to see replies

Smeh
I haven't heard a thing from imperial.

Which is why I'm slightly miffed :s-smilie:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
What are the key dates when it comes to halls and student finance? How much say do we get in where we go?
Reply 62
If you're stuck, on youtube there's videos for each hall :wink: I might choose garden for the fridge but i saw eastside when i visited and it was niiice (much better than cambridge).

i wonder how they detect people downloading stuff? cos i'm always downloading music and need a way around it... (and don't bother quoting to say I'm an idiot :hmmm: )
Reply 63
Takoyaki
If you're stuck, on youtube there's videos for each hall :wink: I might choose garden for the fridge but i saw eastside when i visited and it was niiice (much better than cambridge).

i wonder how they detect people downloading stuff? cos i'm always downloading music and need a way around it... (and don't bother quoting to say I'm an idiot :hmmm: )

All the halls come with their own character, and that extends to the kitchens (thought that shouldn't really be the be all or end all of hall decision).

Imperial registers devices on their networks (on and off campus) via linking your MAC address to your college logon. If the network detects over 5GB being downloaded within 24 hours, and you are in halls, then your MAC will be banned from accessing sources outside the college + microsoft servers for two days. The next stage is a week, then a fortnight, then you are banned for the rest of the year. There is therefore an obvious way around this, but I'll let you sort it out.

However, this limit does not exist when on campus, and you can download over 15gb in an hour and a half, and they won't stop you, throttle you or give you a warning (as long as they detect that what you are doing is legal).

On the halls network, downloading .torrent files is disabled, trying to stem the use of p2p even if legal, as it can take up large amounts of bandwidth. As Imperial is the ISP they cannot legally go up to a company, or the police and say "user tsr11 has been found to download Generic Software, which I believe belongs to MegaCorp and is copyrighted..legal stuff...blah blah blah" as this will also impact on their image. However, if the company has been seeding the file, and logged your ip when using the college network, then Imperial is legally obliged to hand you over, though it normally ends up with you getting banned from the network till the end of the term at least - and possibly up to expulsion from the college - the ban also occurs when on college, so you cannot even access any emails.

Fun.
Reply 64
Cyco
All the halls come with their own character, and that extends to the kitchens (thought that shouldn't really be the be all or end all of hall decision).

Imperial registers devices on their networks (on and off campus) via linking your MAC address to your college logon. If the network detects over 5GB being downloaded within 24 hours, and you are in halls, then your MAC will be banned from accessing sources outside the college + microsoft servers for two days. The next stage is a week, then a fortnight, then you are banned for the rest of the year. There is therefore an obvious way around this, but I'll let you sort it out.

However, this limit does not exist when on campus, and you can download over 15gb in an hour and a half, and they won't stop you, throttle you or give you a warning (as long as they detect that what you are doing is legal).

On the halls network, downloading .torrent files is disabled, trying to stem the use of p2p even if legal, as it can take up large amounts of bandwidth. As Imperial is the ISP they cannot legally go up to a company, or the police and say "user tsr11 has been found to download Generic Software, which I believe belongs to MegaCorp and is copyrighted..legal stuff...blah blah blah" as this will also impact on their image. However, if the company has been seeding the file, and logged your ip when using the college network, then Imperial is legally obliged to hand you over, though it normally ends up with you getting banned from the network till the end of the term at least - and possibly up to expulsion from the college - the ban also occurs when on college, so you cannot even access any emails.

Fun.

Thaaaanks. I won't ever need to download over 5 GB in such a short space of time so I'm sure I'll be fine... I don't do .torrent files or movies either.

This is wonderful news :biggrin: Ahem... Not like I will download anything, no no. I am a law-abiding citizen :yep:

Oh and is Garden the only halls that provide personal fridges? Because I'm kind of leaning towards Eastside. There will be a drastic change in plans if that is the case. :p:
Takoyaki
Thaaaanks. I won't ever need to download over 5 GB in such a short space of time so I'm sure I'll be fine... I don't do .torrent files or movies either.

This is wonderful news :biggrin: Ahem... Not like I will download anything, no no. I am a law-abiding citizen :yep:

Oh and is Garden the only halls that provide personal fridges? Because I'm kind of leaning towards Eastside. There will be a drastic change in plans if that is the case. :p:

You have to pick 5 halls. And there is no guarantee you will get even them/room type. Bit of luck involved in it.
Reply 66
crazylemon
You have to pick 5 halls. And there is no guarantee you will get even them/room type. Bit of luck involved in it.

Sorry to budge in, but I'm just wondering:
What if when they allocate a room to you and it's not your choice of room, would you get the chance to pick elsewhere or will you have to stick with it?
(It's just that I don't fancy paying the £200+ ones...:ninja::o: ).
Nimbus
Sorry to budge in, but I'm just wondering:
What if when they allocate a room to you and it's not your choice of room, would you get the chance to pick elsewhere or will you have to stick with it?
(It's just that I don't fancy paying the £200+ ones...:ninja::o: ).

It's very unlikely you'll be able to change rooms. The general answer response is "take it or leave it", I'm afraid. If you don't want to pay £200, make sure you put "price" down as preference, and it won't (read: shouldn't) happen. Those who put room type as their preference, and pick singles, are the ones likely to be pushed up to premium or deluxe in the event that these rooms are left over.
Reply 68
jayshah31
It's very unlikely you'll be able to change rooms. The general answer response is "take it or leave it", I'm afraid. If you don't want to pay £200, make sure you put "price" down as preference, and it won't (read: shouldn't) happen. Those who put room type as their preference, and pick singles, are the ones likely to be pushed up to premium or deluxe in the event that these rooms are left over.

Ahh I see. Thanks a lot for the the help. =]
Reply 69
jayshah31

can i ask what is difference between an single and premium or deluxe ?
just wondering is it bigger or anything good to have one
zhao_rock
can i ask what is difference between an single and premium or deluxe ?
just wondering is it bigger or anything good to have one

To be honest, I'm not sure a lot. A deluxe is a fair bit bigger, but any single room is sufficiently big for you needs. Bear in mind, you're at Imperial, all you'll really be doing in your room is sleeping. The premium you get like a random one-person squishy thing (for want of a better term for it) but pretty much nawt all else. The bed sizes as well, premium is "almost a double bed" whereas deluxe is a actual double bed. I'm in a twin myself so I don't know too much about them.
jayshah31
To be honest, I'm not sure a lot. A deluxe is a fair bit bigger, but any single room is sufficiently big for you needs. Bear in mind, you're at Imperial, all you'll really be doing in your room is sleeping. The premium you get like a random one-person squishy thing (for want of a better term for it) but pretty much nawt all else. The bed sizes as well, premium is "almost a double bed" whereas deluxe is a actual double bed. I'm in a twin myself so I don't know too much about them.

I work in my room!
You don't just sleep in them.
guys, you know there is a sample accomodation form some guy posted like years ago on tsr, just type it on the search bar and it should come up
crazylemon
I work in my room!
You don't just sleep in them.

Yeah, it was a slight exaggeration. Clearly that didn't come out in my post :p:
Reply 74
jayshah31
Go to a more stupid university then.

Wave bye-bye to your halls and possibly your degree if you get caught breaching copyright. It makes the university look bad when they get DMCAs filed to their abuse (they own the IP space) so they will come down on you faster than you can say 'Imperial'.

The limit is 5GB in any rolling 24 hour period.

Is P2P completely banned then?

Say you downloaded torrent files with a different extension (to bypass the block on downloading .torrent files) and didn't download more than the 5GB limit and you used encryption so the traffic didn't actually show up as P2P - would this be feasible? Or will they simply guess its P2P and ban you anyway?
aeonflux
Is P2P completely banned then?

Say you downloaded torrent files with a different extension (to bypass the block on downloading .torrent files) and didn't download more than the 5GB limit and you used encryption so the traffic didn't actually show up as P2P - would this be feasible? Or will they simply guess its P2P and ban you anyway?

To be honest, you're treading a fine line there. I haven't personally attempted to open P2P applications directly, because the idea itself isn't all that smart.

Don't tunnel all your traffic. They have about 30 years experience each here, which (rather unfortunately for us) means they're about 10 steps ahead at any given moment. If you were to (somehow) tunnel some of the traffic for your own privacy reasons, then I guess it would be okay. They will use deeper level packet inspection if they have to.

Also, if you get caught, don't be surprised if the fact that you were appears on your reference to employers, just like if you had plagiarised.
Reply 76
jayshah31
To be honest, you're treading a fine line there. I haven't personally attempted to open P2P applications directly, because the idea itself isn't all that smart.

Don't tunnel all your traffic. They have about 30 years experience each here, which (rather unfortunately for us) means they're about 10 steps ahead at any given moment. If you were to (somehow) tunnel some of the traffic for your own privacy reasons, then I guess it would be okay. They will use deeper level packet inspection if they have to.

Also, if you get caught, don't be surprised if the fact that you were appears on your reference to employers, just like if you had plagiarised.

Wow didn't know they would actually go as far as to use DPI to check what people are using the network for.
Guess the only solution is to try and befriend one of the IT guys then :p:
well i like to download a lot of videos off megaupload and cartoon world, mainly anime... would that result in a ban as well?
Reply 78
sasjegbruv123
well i like to download a lot of videos off megaupload and cartoon world, mainly anime... would that result in a ban as well?

It's not what just you download that gets you banned - it's anything over 5gb over 24 hours, so if you go over no matter what was going over the network, you'll get banned. P2P is not outrightly banned, as you can legally download Linux distros, normally via p2p. If you download a suspicious amount, they'll just look to see why. If appears as some http app, then they'll look further to see if you were watching hours of high-def iplayer, or downloading copyrighted material from rapidshare, and then they'll move from there.

If you download a small amount of rapidshare stuff, then the ICT department is unlikely to do anything about it, but people have been banned for downloading some software on campus via rapidshare, so you're not invincible.
Cyco
It's not what just you download that gets you banned - it's anything over 5gb over 24 hours, so if you go over no matter what was going over the network, you'll get banned. P2P is not outrightly banned, as you can legally download Linux distros, normally via p2p. If you download a suspicious amount, they'll just look to see why. If appears as some http app, then they'll look further to see if you were watching hours of high-def iplayer, or downloading copyrighted material from rapidshare, and then they'll move from there.

If you download a small amount of rapidshare stuff, then the ICT department is unlikely to do anything about it, but people have been banned for downloading some software on campus via rapidshare, so you're not invincible.

i see, hw much would be a small amount? and would hours of hi def iplayer lead to a ban?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending